PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:00 pm      Post subject: Hrankowsky/ Hull surnames

I am looking for any assistance in researching records from Poland/ Galicia. I begin with my grand father and work backwards from there. I have learned the following this far:

Grandfather: Michal Hrankowsky (later changed to Hull)

His mother (my great grandmother): Katarzyna "Catherine" Hrankowsky (Hull)
His father (we believe to be step father) Wasyl "Charles" Hull.....Wasyl had first wife named Mary and son John Hull.

Katarzyna Hrankowsky's Parents: Elias Hrankowski and Anastazja Worona

Charles Hull's Parents: Jacob Hull and Parasceva Olynyk

I believe that they are all from the area of Kleszczowna, County of Rohatyn, Galicia

Any help in how I would track down records..OR if there are records out there on Family Search that pertain to them but unknown to me due to needing translation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Just looking to be pointed in right direction.

Roger
Booby

Replies: 53

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:50 pm      Post subject: Re: Hrankowsky/ Hull surnames

Roger H wrote:
I am looking for any assistance in researching records from Poland/ Galicia. I begin with my grand father and work backwards from there. I have learned the following this far:

Grandfather: Michal Hrankowsky (later changed to Hull)

His mother (my great grandmother): Katarzyna "Catherine" Hrankowsky (Hull)
His father (we believe to be step father) Wasyl "Charles" Hull.....Wasyl had first wife named Mary and son John Hull.

Katarzyna Hrankowsky's Parents: Elias Hrankowski and Anastazja Worona

Charles Hull's Parents: Jacob Hull and Parasceva Olynyk

I believe that they are all from the area of Kleszczowna, County of Rohatyn, Galicia

Any help in how I would track down records..OR if there are records out there on Family Search that pertain to them but unknown to me due to needing translation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Just looking to be pointed in right direction.

Roger

Roger, you did not mention which years they might be in Rohatyn, but here are some online records to try:

1) 1922 - 1928. http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/2/2019/0/?q=rohatyn+XTYPEro:zesp+pra+XSKANro:t&wynik=1&rpp=15&page=1#tabJednostki

2) 1818 - 1899. https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/56/2436/0/?q=rohatyn+XTYPEro:zesp+pra+XSKANro:t&wynik=2&rpp=15&page=1#tabZespol

Rohatyn is near to Rozniatow/Rozniativ where I have been doing a lot of research.

FamilySearch.org also has many records... just search in the Collections for Rohatyn or Dolina or Rozniatow parishes, as I have see Rohatyn village name appear many times.

booby
Roger H

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:32 pm      Post subject:

Bobby
Michael Hrankowskyj was born in 1913 in Kleszczowna, County of Rohatyn, Galicia. Mother was Katarzyna Hrankowskyj (father unknown). Katarzyna was born in 1896- parents Elias Hrankowskyj and Anastasia Worona.

Wasyl Hull was born in 1880 in Kleszczowna, County of Rohatyn, Galicia. He married wife Mary in 1909 and they had son John in approx. 1912. Wasyl came to United States in 1912 and then returned to Poland in 1921 or 1922 when wife Mary died there. It is estimated at that time he then married Katarzyna Hrankowskyj and they had child Elias in 1922. I checked out the links you sent but I am unable to read Polish so I could not make sense of them. Thank you for your help.
Roger
Booby

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:23 pm      Post subject:

Roger H wrote:
Bobby
Michael Hrankowskyj was born in 1913 in Kleszczowna, County of Rohatyn, Galicia. Mother was Katarzyna Hrankowskyj (father unknown). Katarzyna was born in 1896- parents Elias Hrankowskyj and Anastasia Worona.

Wasyl Hull was born in 1880 in Kleszczowna, County of Rohatyn, Galicia. He married wife Mary in 1909 and they had son John in approx. 1912. Wasyl came to United States in 1912 and then returned to Poland in 1921 or 1922 when wife Mary died there. It is estimated at that time he then married Katarzyna Hrankowskyj and they had child Elias in 1922. I checked out the links you sent but I am unable to read Polish so I could not make sense of them. Thank you for your help.
Roger

Hi Roger, I also don't speak/read Polish or Latin, but when I look through the images of the handwritten birth/marriage/death records, I learn to better to look for the written patterns (in your case, something that looks like "Hrank.." or "Woron/Voron" written).

Here is a link to Family Search:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/search
If you search for "PLACE = Kleszczowna" you will see 2 entries:
A) Austria, Galizien, Kleszczówna (Rohatyn)
B) Poland, Stanisławów, Kleszczówna (Rohatyn)
They are both the same location, just known by different names depending on what year the land was owned by which country.

They produce just 1 record, and here is the link for it: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/236512?availability=Family%20History%20Library

If instead you search for "PLACE = ROHATYN", you will see entries for Rohatyn and for other towns in/around Rohatyn (scroll down the list and you will see the 2 "Kleszczowna" listings).

Here is a link to general Rohtyn:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=143390&query=%2Bplace%3A%22Ukraine%2C%20Ivano-Frankivs%E2%80%B2k%2C%20Rohatyn%2C%20Rohatyn%22&subjectsOpen=609711-50

There are Roman Catholic and Greek Catholic and Luthern records found in Rohatyn.

Most of these records seem to cover 1800s, but not as recent as 1880-1922 which is the time seem to want to search.

I don't know if the Roman-Catholic records for Rohatyn also cover Kleszczowna. You would have to look at page-by-page and see if you see "Kleszczowna" mentioned in pages of the images. Usually these Parishes would travel to the nearby towns and record the events that had happened in that town during the recent week... so, if there were 5 births in Kleszczowna, then they will likely be all on the same page and Kleszczowna will be written in usually an obvious way.

booby
Booby

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:36 pm      Post subject:

Roger H wrote:
Bobby

Roger

Roger, here is a followup.

I found some records on Family Search around 1830's, so it is earlier than you are looking for. But, the good news is that it can help to confirm other likely family members and the Parish that kept the records. There records might help you to start building a family tree.

First, I am posting a PNG screen capture of a Marriage record of an Anna Woronow in 1838. It may or not be the same Anna Woronow you are seeking. Basicially the way I interpret what it says is:

"Event 37, 4th November 1838. House 41 in the town. Groom = Simoeon/Simon/Szmon Gubaty who is the son of the defuncti (deceased) Gabriel/Gabrielis Gubaty aliquando huiatius subditi filius. Groom checkbox/columns say he is Catholic, 25yo, Single/nevermarried. Bride = Anna Worona who is the daughter of the defuncti (deceased) Greg/Gregorii Worona aliquando huiatius subditi filius. Bride checkbox/columns say she is Catholic, 22yo, Single/nevermarried. Next column states the Simon Gubaty and Joannes/Jan/John Strzclee(?) were witnesses. Also in the writing section near bottom there is mention of a Eudoxia/Evdokia/Dunya Worowna".

For better translation of the latin terms used in this record, others on here can help with that as I am not good at doing this.

Here's a link to where I found the record: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9R9T-VQX?i=280&cc=1910265&cat=236512

It is in the parish records for Kleszczowna, on page 281 (of 785).

Looking around these pages I also saw some mentions of:
1) page 274/275/280 mentions "Olcuczak/Olcnczak" family name. This might possibly be the same "Olynyk" family name you are seeking.
2) page 276 mentions a "Theodosi Hrankowski" as being a father to bride named Martha who is marrying a Basil on 22nd of Feb.
3) Page 281 mentions "Worona" (screen capture posted here too).
4) Page 270 mentions "Кліщівна" parish (Klischivna parish, aka Кліщівна).

So, do some reading through these records and track these names. There is a good chance some of them of cousins or great grandparents. Later, if you can find latter-1800s and 1900s records you might be able to piece these things together.

As a last note, here is the Google Map to Kleszczowna (today, Urkaine Klischivna, Кліщівна):
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Klishchivna,+Ivano-Frankivs'ka+oblast,+Ukraine,+77021/@49.4854819,24.5893485,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x47307862753fcbcd:0x7c3938022041ef19!8m2!3d49.4871011!4d24.5980821

I was able to use Google Maps to see the Ukraine/Cyrillic spelling of Кліщівна, to then find the parish name/section mentioned on on Page 270. Also, if you look at the very top of the pages 270++ in the hardwriting you will see these pages belong to "Kleszczowna".

Yes, the handwriting is difficult for me to read too... in fact, the "n" looks like "u" to me... so, "Anna" looks like "Auua" to me.

Good luck with starting your puzzle !!

booby

1838Marriage_AnnaWorona_to_SimonGubsty.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.04 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1838Marriage_AnnaWorona_to_SimonGubsty.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: