PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:02 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation help request

mikewlig wrote:
Hello Everyone,
My grandmother's attached birth certificate indicates that she was born illegitimately and as it were at that time there was no reference to the name of the birth father. This birth certificate was requested from the parish the year prior to her emigration to the US. She came to the US alone, the ship manifest and other documents from this time period forward indicate that she presented herself as Maria or Mary Rolla and she was single, never married.

I'm interested in further translating this document and I'm wondering if church birth records were ever corrected or noted should the original birth father later marry the mother? If my grandmother's mother was originally single at the time of this birth, and then later married someone else, not the birth father, was adoption and adoption of the surname of the birth mothers new husband's name common? If it was, how would this have been conducted, through civil or through church means? Or, was it common for an adult child to take the name of one's step-father without official recording of the circumstance?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Michael Kulig

Michael,

If a man acknowledged paternity that info was entered into the birth & baptism record, whether or not he ever married the mother of the child. Formal adoptions were quite rare among the peasants. What was not uncommon was for the child to simply start to use the surname of her mother’s husband without any formalities. Just today I was helping someone with records from Galicia where a woman, who was born illegitimate in 1820 and married in 1842, had no father listed in the marriage record. In 1844 her mother,who had not been married previously, married. Not long afterwards entries record the name of her mother’s husband as her father. That stuff just happened.

Here is the translation.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Top of Certificate:
Left Side: Empire of Austria
Kingdom of Galicia
District/Powiat (County): Nowy Sącz
Center: Number (of certificate issued): 1816
Right Side: Diocese: Tarnów
Dekenat (Deanery): Nowy Sącz
Parish: Nowy Sącz

Certificate of birth and of baptism

The parish office of the Church of Saint Margaret (św. Małgorzaty) attests to all and sundry of whom it is or may be of interest that in the baptismal registers of this church for the village of Paszyn, Volume IV, Page 153, Entry Number 2 is found the following:

In the year of Our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred Eighty-Nine that is 1889 on the fifteenth/15/ day of the month of January was born at house number 59, and on the 1(Number cut off) day of the month of January by Jan Dagman(?) was baptized:

Col. 1: Name of the one baptized: Maria
Col. 2: Religion: Roman Catholic
Col. 3: Sex/Gender: Female
Col. 4: The (marital) bed: Illegitimate
Col. 5: PARENTS
Col. 5a: The Father: (No name entered)
Col. 5b: The Mother Małgorzata Chruślicka, a servant, the daughter of Antoni and Anna nee Łusz(?)ka
Col 6: The Sponsors: Wawrzyniec Chruślicki (&) Zofia, the wife of Piotr Drozdz(?)
Notation: The midwife: Anna Chruślicka.

In testimony of which I sign this certificate with my own had and affirm it with the seal of the parish church.

Given at Nowy Sącz on the 21st day of November 1913

Signature of the parish priest (in 1913) with the parish seal
mikewlig

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:42 am      Post subject: Re: Mary Rola

Thank you very much Dave, your commentary on adoption is enlightening, and your identification of the village helps us immeasurably. Thanks again, you're the best!
Michael
Send e-mail
Kurt1322

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:19 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation Request

dnowicki wrote:
Kurt1322 wrote:
Could someone please assist me with these translations. There is a Birth, Marriage, and a Death.

Thank you very much,

Kurt

Kurt,

Knowing the names of the parish and the villages and the surnames of the main people in the record greatly facilitates the translation of records. Since you requested translations of three records I’ll be happy to translate the records if you are able to post that infromation.

Thank you.

Dave

Dave,
These records are from the Parish of Ostrow and the Villiage of Siebieczow in Austrian Galacia. I am researching Samuel Tobiasz and his family. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Kurt
Booby

Replies: 53

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:18 am      Post subject: Help to know which woman is the mother

This is the birth record of a Catharina Jankowska (in Galicia/Ukraine, circa 1830s).

The father is Jan/Joannes Jankowski.

Which woman is the mother? There seems to be 2 people mentioned in the mother section: A) Catharina Jagellowicz and B) Andream Woloszynowicz?

Or, is this record saying that the mother is Catharina Jagellowicz and Catharina Jagellowicz was previously married (and now a widow) to an Andreas Woloszynowicz. And thus Catharina Jagellowicz likely re-married with Jan Jankowski and produced this baby (Catharina Jankowska)?

Thanks!!!
booby

ps - I am adding the Death record for Catharina Jankowska, died on same day of birth, as it adds more information (including words of illegitimate child).

Death_CatharinaJankowska.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  983.96 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Death_CatharinaJankowska.png

Birth_CatharinaJankowska.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.05 MB

Birth_CatharinaJankowska.png

Last edited by Booby on Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Booby

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:28 am      Post subject: Re: Translation Request

Kurt1322 wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
Kurt1322 wrote:
Could someone please assist me with these translations. There is a Birth, Marriage, and a Death.

Thank you very much,

Kurt

Kurt,

Knowing the names of the parish and the villages and the surnames of the main people in the record greatly facilitates the translation of records. Since you requested translations of three records I’ll be happy to translate the records if you are able to post that infromation.

Thank you.

Dave

Dave,
These records are from the Parish of Ostrow and the Villiage of Siebieczow in Austrian Galacia. I am researching Samuel Tobiasz and his family. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Kurt

To help... Today this Siebieczow is called Sebechiv/Ukraine, located a little north of Lviv/Lwow. Here is a Google map link to it: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sebechiv,+Lviv+Oblast,+Ukraine,+80045/@50.4332223,24.1128037,12.52z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4724dcf1c4289693:0x6db5d134e0d15024!8m2!3d50.4441499!4d24.1294048

The parish/town of Ostrow, today is called Ostriv, located 2-3 miles southeast of Sebechiv and south of Road T1404.

booby
Kurt1322

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:02 am      Post subject: Help finding town or parish

Booby,

I have a marriage record from the US for Josepha Lazeczka which list the town where she was born / baptized and I cannot seem to locate this parish. Can anyone assist me? This should be in Austrian Galacia. Most of the other family is from Mosty Wielkie. Any help is appreciated.

Kurt

Josephine Lazeczka Marriage 1917 crop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  365.07 KB

Josephine Lazeczka Marriage 1917 crop.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:00 am      Post subject: Re: Translation Request

Kurt1322 wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
Kurt1322 wrote:

Thank you very much,

Kurt

Kurt,

Thank you.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks
Kurt

Kurt,

Here are the birth, marriage, & death translations.

I hope that they help to move your research along.

Dave

Col. 1: Dies Nat(ivitatis), Bap(tismi) = Day of Birth: Dec. 15, 1839; of Baptism: Dec. 15, 1839
Col. 2: Nu(merus) D(omus) = House Number: 195
Col. 3: Nomen Infantis = Name of the Infant: Rozalia
Col. 4: Rel(igio) = Religion
Col. 4a: C(atholica) = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b: A(catholica) = Non-Catholic: Blank
Col. 5: Sexus = Gender/Sex
Col. 5a: M(asculinus) = Male/Masculine: Blank
Col. 5b: F(emeninus) = Female/Feminine: Checked
Col. 6: Thori = (Marital) Bed
Col. 6a: L(egitimi) = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 6b: I(llegimiti) = Illegitimate: Blank
Col. 7: Nomen Patris = Name of the Father: Józef Tobias, a weaver, the son of Samuel and of Elżbieta, toll/tax collectors
Col. 7: Nomen Matris = Name of the Mother: Cecylia Hauck(?), the daughter of Mikoła​j and of Anna, toll/tax collectors
Col. 9: Patrini = Sponsors: Maciej Echnsa(?), an innkeeper; Maria Kowalska, the wife of Mikołaj from Knopal(?); Piotr Jącek, a farmer from Ostrów; Julianna Dudek, the wife of Franciszek

Notations: The midwife was Anna Hauk
Józef Cereckwicky(?), the curate, baptized her

Column 1: Dies Mortis = Day of Death; Year: 1845
Mensis = Month: Missing
Column 1a: Mortuus = Death: May 17
Column 1b: Sepultus = Burial: May 19
Column 2: Numerus Domus = House Number: &1
Column 3: NOMEN, COGNOMEN et Conditio Mortui = FIRST NAME, SURNAME and Condition/Status of the Deceased: Józef Tobias, a weaver, married, the husband of Cecylia nee Hauk, the son of Samuel and Maria N. Tobias, tax/toll collctors
Column 4: Religio = Religion
Column 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Column 4b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Column 5: Sexus = Sex/Gender:
Column 5a: Masculina = Masculine/Male: Checked
Column 5b: Feminina = Feminine/Female: Blank
Column 6: Dies Vitae = Days of Life/Age: 45 years
Column 7: Morbus et Qualitas Mortis = Disease and Type of Death: Consumption/Tuberculosis

Notation: Given the Last Rites and buried by the one who (is named) above

Col. 1: N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order (for the year): missing
Col. 2: Year (at top): missing
Dies et Mensis copulationis = Day and Month of the marriage: February 14
Col. 3: Sponsus = Groom
Col. 3a: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: 88
Col. 3b: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item nativitatis locus = His and his parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time (his) place of birth: Mateusz Tobiasz, the son of Samuelnand of Elżbieta born Nimserowna(?), toll keepers from Dubienka
Col. 3c: Religio = Religion
Col. 3c Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 3d Subdivision 1: Aetas = Age: 21
Col. 3d Subdivision 2: Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 3d Subdivision 3: Viduus = Widower: blank
Col. 4: Sponsa = Bride
Col. 4a: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: missing
Col. 4b: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item nativitatis locus = Her and her parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time (her) place of birth: Maryanna Tarkowska, the daughter of Ludwik and of Anna, iron worker/blacksmith, residing in Zabize Murowane
Col. 4c: Religio = Religion
Col. 4c Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4c Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 4d Subdivision 1: Aetas = Age: 16
Col. 4d Subdivision 2: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Checked
Col. 4d Subdivision 3: Vidua = Widow: blank
Col. 5: TESTES Eorum = WITNESSES
Col. 5a: Nomen et Cognomen = First and Surname: Daniel Tobias (&) Wincenty Heisler

The long notation is just legal housekeeping---Civil permission (license), proof of banns from the parish where the groom was residing, consent of the parents of the bride and of the groom, & name of the pastor in Ostrów who blessed the marriage.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:11 am      Post subject: Re: Help to know which woman is the mother

Booby wrote:
This is the birth record of a Catharina Jankowska (in Galicia/Ukraine, circa 1830s).

The father is Jan/Joannes Jankowski.

Which woman is the mother? There seems to be 2 people mentioned in the mother section: A) Catharina Jagellowicz and B) Andream Woloszynowicz?

Or, is this record saying that the mother is Catharina Jagellowicz and Catharina Jagellowicz was previously married (and now a widow) to an Andreas Woloszynowicz. And thus Catharina Jagellowicz likely re-married with Jan Jankowski and produced this baby (Catharina Jankowska)?

Thanks!!!
booby

ps - I am adding the Death record for Catharina Jankowska, died on same day of birth, as it adds more information (including words of illegitimate child).

booby,

The birth & baptism record actually contains more info than the death record. Both the birth & the death records state that the child was illigitimate. The b & b record also contains a statement by the father acknowleging paternity. The lines which begin ‘Ja….and ending with Jan Jankowski +’ are in Polish and read in English: ‘I, the undersigned, acknowlege that I am the father of this child and take upon myself the obligation of (her) upbringing, which with the sign of the holy cross I attest before the undersigned witnesses.’ The statement continues with the father's name followed by his mark (Jan Jankowski +). The statement concludes with the names of the three witnesses.

There is only one woman listed as the mother----Katarzyna. The entire entry in the columns reads---The father: Jan Jankowski, a soldier of the 6th company of the Legion of the prince of Bentheim; The mother---Katarzyna nee Jagełłowicz, a widow surviving (literally: after) the late Andrzej Wołoszynowicz.

Additional details found in the death record are that the child lived for one day (Col. 8) and that the child was premature, which was the cause of her death (Col. 9).

There is no indication in these records that Jan and Katarzyna ever married.

I hope this helps your research.

Dave
Booby

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:09 pm      Post subject: Re: Help finding town or parish

Kurt1322 wrote:
Booby,

I have a marriage record from the US for Josepha Lazeczka which list the town where she was born / baptized and I cannot seem to locate this parish. Can anyone assist me? This should be in Austrian Galacia. Most of the other family is from Mosty Wielkie. Any help is appreciated.

Kurt

Kurt,

Mosty Wielkie (today, Velyki Mosty) is located a little north of Lviv/Lvov.
Here is the Google Map for it: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Velyki+Mosty,+Lviv+Oblast,+Ukraine,+80074/@50.22932,24.1578417,11.52z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x0:0x0!2zNTDCsDIzJzA4LjAiTiAyNMKwMDYnMTQuMCJF!3b1!8m2!3d50.385556!4d24.103889!3m4!1s0x4724d5e3f374d54b:0x853bee34d7ebdcda!8m2!3d50.2423746!4d24.144516?hl=en

It looks like Josepha/Josephine Lazeczka (Loczeczko) wrote about a 1899 baptism in "Chorudruka/Chocudrcuka, Lopatyn".

Lopatyn is about 10 miles directly east of Mosty Wielkie.
Here is the Google Map for it: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lopatyn,+Lviv+Oblast,+Ukraine/@50.2175235,24.8309249,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x472544299611d5f1:0x4bdd7de4cbdaea60!8m2!3d50.22217!4d24.8462677?hl=en

I did some looking around for a nearby (within 5 miles) town with a name similar to "Chorudruka/Chocudrcuka" but cannot find anything. I know from own searching, sometimes a very small town/hamlet will be annexed/joined to another nearby bigger village and the name of the small hamlet will no longer exist today.

So, I looked for a listing of "Chorudruka" (and similar, phonetic), here: http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/

This lists many old towns that no longer exist today (and related Parish), and this book is circa 1900.
"Choru.." would be here. http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_I/633
But it is not found.

"Lopatyn" you might think is here: http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_V/366
But, it is really found here (mind you, 2 different Polish "L"): http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_V/720

Last, I found an old map of Lopatyn: https://mapire.eu/en/geoname/ukraine/lopatyn-702844/
But, I cannot find any reference to "Chorud..." near to it.

And yet, 1 more map.... http://geolocated.org/UA/46/2hja516d

Here is a link to a Parish in Lopatyn: http://www.rkc.lviv.ua/Lopatin-en
They list near by towns served. Maybe you can contact them and ask for help to solve "Chorudruka".
IMPORTANT: I see 1 town/parish they serve is named KOROLIVKA (Ukraine: Королівка Polish: Korolówka) which to me is somewhat very similar.
And here is a link, something possibly related ("Chudzikowscy")?:https://genealogia.okiem.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29194

Here is Google Map to Korolivka: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Korolivka,+Lviv+Oblast,+Ukraine,+80613/@50.2798047,25.0858971,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x472544299611d5f1:0x4bdd7de4cbdaea60!2sLopatyn,+Lviv+Oblast,+Ukraine!3b1!8m2!3d50.2220773!4d24.8459624!3m4!1s0x47255d63af8cfd2d:0xeb328cf6d8d96390!8m2!3d50.2794674!4d25.0930309

But, the Parish in Lopatyn likely would have served that town, so her Baptism records might be in the Lopatyn books, but listed as being in town named Korolivka.

booby
Booby

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:07 am      Post subject: Re: Help finding town or parish

Kurt1322 wrote:
Booby,

Kurt

Kurt, I did find a town of similar name to "Chorudruka". It is Chernorudka. However, it is located nearer to the Ukraine capital city of Kiev/Kyiv, and probably part of Russia but perhaps never part of Austria/Galicia in 1900 because it is near to Kiev and far from Lviv/Lwow.

Here Is the Google map for Chernorudka. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Chernorudka/@49.8446761,29.0249888,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x472cc2c02353cb0d:0x43ced0b3fdff694f!8m2!3d49.8448864!4d29.0271603

booby
Booby

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:03 pm      Post subject: Assking translation help on Groom/Jan translation

Hello, I am hoping someone can help translate this record. It's around 1840's, in Galicia, Roman-Catholic.

It is a marriage record between Jan/Joannes and Anna.

The part I need translated is the Joannes-side of parents. It mentions Jan/Joannes's parents are Michael Jagellowicz and Theresia Waysowicz. But, then, there is the part that mentions about a
post" Magdalena Pawlak. Is this saying that Joannes/Jan/groom was previously married to Magdalena Pawlak (and that likely Magdalena died), and thus Jan is marrying a new/2nd wife?

booby

Marriage_Jan_and_Anna.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  735.9 KB

Marriage_Jan_and_Anna.png

djablonka

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:03 pm      Post subject: Jan Grzegorzewski Birth Record Translation

Dear Forum Member,
Attached is a birth record from Jan Grzegorzewski, one of my great-great-great-great grandfathers. I have worked to translate most of it, but need help with the words highlighted in yellow. Can you please help me?
Thanks in advance,
Sincerely, Dave Jablonka

Seal on Top of Document: GROSZY DZIESIEC
Line 1: "Vestigium" and "mebrices"
Line 2: "Covaliespis" and "tsaeteeru"
Line 3: "Dri"
Line 5: "Covaliensio"
Line 6: "cantuim" and "Famatoneno"
Line 6: Did I spell the name of the mother correctly as "Aejnelis"?
Line 7: "legitimate cenjugiem"
Line 8: "famato"
Line 9: "leurem"
Line 10: "poipoia subsenbo"
Line 11: "haji"
Line 13: "Vie"

I would appreciate the translation of the word to English and in addition, if I spelled the word wrong in Latin, can you please correct me to?

Also, Is there an explanation for why this birth took place in 1802, but this document was prepared in 1817?

Thanks gain for your help,
Dave Jablonka

Dowody do akt małżeństwa akt urodzenia Jana Grzegorzewskiego 1802 r..JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.34 MB

Dowody do akt małżeństwa akt urodzenia Jana Grzegorzewskiego 1802 r..JPG

Jan Grzegorzewski Brith Record Translation.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Jan Grzegorzewski Brith Record Translation.pdf
 Filesize:  39.7 KB
 Downloaded:  325 Time(s)

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:37 pm      Post subject: Re: Assking translation help on Groom/Jan translation

Booby wrote:
Hello, I am hoping someone can help translate this record. It's around 1840's, in Galicia, Roman-Catholic.

It is a marriage record between Jan/Joannes and Anna.

The part I need translated is the Joannes-side of parents. It mentions Jan/Joannes's parents are Michael Jagellowicz and Theresia Waysowicz. But, then, there is the part that mentions about a
post" Magdalena Pawlak. Is this saying that Joannes/Jan/groom was previously married to Magdalena Pawlak (and that likely Magdalena died), and thus Jan is marrying a new/2nd wife?

booby

Booby,

The answers to your questions are found within the entries in the record and the answers are definite and not speculative. The groom was a widower and his previous wife was Magdalena Pawlak. That he was a widower is stated twice in the record. In the column for the groom the entry concludes “viduus post Magdalenam Pawlak” which is translated “a widower after (the late) Magdalena Pawlak.” The fact that he was a widower is repeated by the check in the column with the heading “Viduus” (“Widower”). If this had been his first marriage, the column with the heading “Caelebs” (“Bachelor”) would have been checked. In order to gain the maximum benefit from the data in the record it is important to pay attention to the column headings and all of the entries and not just the names of individuals within the record.

Here are the likely headings for this document which may be helpful in understanding such marriage records:

Col. 1: N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order (for the year):
Col. 2: Year (at top):
Dies et Mensis: Day and Month (of marriage):
Col. 3: Sponsus = Groom
Col. 3a: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number:
Col. 3b: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item ejus nativitatis locus et habitationis = His and his parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time his place of birth and residence:
Col. 3c: Religio = Religion
Col. 3c Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 3d Subdivision 1: Caelebs = Bachelor:
Col. 3d Subdivision 2: Aetas =
Col. 3d Subdivision 3: Viduus = Widower:
Col. 4: Sponsa = Bride
Col. 4a: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item ejus nativitatis locus et habitationis = Her and her parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time her place of birth and residence:
Col. 4b: Religio = Religion
Col. 4b Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 4c Subdivision 1: Caelebs = Bachelorette:
Col. 4c Subdivision 2: Aetas = Age:
Col. 4c Subdivision 3: Vidua = Widow:
Col. 5: TESTES Eorum = WITNESSES (and) Their
Col. 5a: Nomen et Cognomen = First and Surname:
Col. 5b: Conditio = Condition/state of life/occupation:

Wishing you success in your quest,

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:41 pm      Post subject: Re: Jan Grzegorzewski Birth Record Translation

djablonka wrote:
Dear Forum Member,
Attached is a birth record from Jan Grzegorzewski, one of my great-great-great-great grandfathers. I have worked to translate most of it, but need help with the words highlighted in yellow. Can you please help me?
Thanks in advance,
Sincerely, Dave Jablonka

Seal on Top of Document: GROSZY DZIESIEC
Line 1: "Vestigium" and "mebrices"
Line 2: "Covaliespis" and "tsaeteeru"
Line 3: "Dri"
Line 5: "Covaliensio"
Line 6: "cantuim" and "Famatoneno"
Line 6: Did I spell the name of the mother correctly as "Aejnelis"?
Line 7: "legitimate cenjugiem"
Line 8: "famato"
Line 9: "leurem"
Line 10: "poipoia subsenbo"
Line 11: "haji"
Line 13: "Vie"

I would appreciate the translation of the word to English and in addition, if I spelled the word wrong in Latin, can you please correct me to?

Also, Is there an explanation for why this birth took place in 1802, but this document was prepared in 1817?

Thanks gain for your help,
Dave Jablonka

Dave,

I’ll transcribe the Latin and follow the transcription with a translation into English along with an explanation of some of the Latin grammar involved. I find it easier to do that rather than to go down the list of lines of the text. Given names are translated into their Polish form with the English in parentheses. As was typical some Latin words were abbreviated or contracted. The contracted portion is given in parentheses. The name of the mother in Latin is Agnetis.

Certificates, then as now, were often issued at some point after the event for any number of reasons. This certificate evidently was filmed from a collection of “Dowody do akt małżeństwa” (“Pieces of evidence for marriage records”). In the singular dowód means a proof; in the plural it means “pieces of evidence”. The certificate was used as evidence of his age and religion at the time of his marriage. The canonical age for marriage has varied through time and was connected to the onset of puberty, the age when boys and girls were able to have marital relations with the viable possibilty of procreating a child. At one time, the lowest minimal canonical age was 12 for girls and 14 for boys. Jan would have been about 14.5 years old when the certifictae was issued, but that does not necessarily mean that he married at that age. The collection where the certificate was found should list the year of the marriages for which those “dowody” were collected.

Here is the transcription and translation.

Revenue seal at the top: dziesięc groszy = 10 groszy1

Testigium Legitimi Ortus ex Libro Metrices2 Baptisatorum Ecclesiae Covaliensis3 extractum.

Kowal: Anno D(omi)ni Millesimo Octingentesimo Secundo 1802 Die 24ta 10 Octobris. Ego Michael
Lancucki(?) Vicarius Covaliensis4 baptisavi infantem N(omi)ne Joannem Cantium5 Famatorum6 Francisci et Agnetis Grzegorzewskich7 Legitimorum Conjugum Filium. Levantibus8 Famato6 Antonio Piekarski cum Regina Wyremblewska.

In Quorum fidem has Testimoniales Literas9 Sigillo Ecclesiae prefatae munitas, Manu propria Subscribo.

Datum Kowal d(ie) 6ta 10 Maji Anno 1817

Parish seal of Kowal together with signature of priest who issued the certificate: Joannes Siekierski (?) Vic(arius) Koval

Translation: Revenue Stamp = 10 groszy1

Certificate of a Legitimate Birth extracted from the Metrical2 Book of Baptisms of the Church of Kowal.

(The town of) Kowal: In the One Thousand Eight Hundred Second Year of Our Lord, 1802, on the 24th day of October, I, Michał (Michael)Lancucki(?), the vicar of Kowal4, baptized a child by the name of Jan Kanty5, the son of the legitimate marriage of the renowned6 Franciszek (Francis) and Agnieszka (Agnes) Grzegorzewski7 Those lifting (him) up8 were the renowned6 Antoni (Anthony) Piekarski with Regina Wyremblewska.

In testimony of which I sign with my own hand this certificate9, confirmed by the seal of the above named Church.

Given at Kowal on the sixth day of May in the Year 1817

Parish seal of Kowal together with signature of priest who issued the certificate: Jan (John) Siekierski (?) Vicar of Kowal

NOTES:
1. Coins in use at that time were złoty and groszy. A grosz was 1/100th of the larger demonation (złoty). An appoximation would be dollars and cents. The revenue stamp shows the fee paid to the civil authorities for the document.
2. Metrices/Metrical Books = term used for the birth & baptism and marriage and death & burial registers.
3. Covaliensis = Latin adjectival form of Kowal. Since Latin rarely used the letter K (Kalendae [the first day of a month] and Karthago [Carthage] were two times the letter was used). The hard sound of K was expressed by the hard sound of the letter C. Latin did not use the letter W and the sound was expressed by the letter V.
4. Vicarius/vicar = pastor
5. Joannem Cantium/Jan Kanty (English: John Cantius) specifies which St. John was his patron saint.
6. famosus/renowned: adjective used to describe a middle class craftsman.
7. The Polish ending -ich is the Genitive Plural which agrees in Case with the Latin forms of the given names. It can also be translated as “the spouses”.
8. Levantibus/those lifting (him) up is a circumlocution for the sponsors aka godparents. The construction (including the given names of the sponsors) involves a noun/pronoun/substantive and a participle in the Ablative Case which admits of various translations. In some ways it is similar to the Nominative Absolute in English since it is related to the rest of the sentence in sense but not in grammar. Here it functions as its own sentence.
9. Has Testimoniales Literas (Literally: “These Testimonial Letters”) = Certificate
10. ta: together with the number shows that the ordinal number is an adjective.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Wishing you success in your efforts,

Dave Nowicki
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:19 pm      Post subject: Latin Marriage Record from 1800

Hello all:
Having just found this marriage record from 1800 Kowal church records, I would appreciate greatly a transcription.

I'm not able to decipher much of it, but it seems that my 4th g.grandparents had their marriage recorded by the Catholic church while, it seems, they were Evangelical. Perhaps there are some clues herein?

Am I correct this record does not indicate age, or parents of the bride and groom?

As always, your help is invaluable and greatly appreciated!

Best,
Joe

record-image_3Q9M-CSV8-6SC4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  133.37 KB

record-image_3Q9M-CSV8-6SC4.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 146 of 274

Jump to: