PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:20 pm      Post subject: Tracing Feliks Prus

This is a very long shot, but if anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Today my 91 year old mother announced at dinner that she had become friends with a Polish member of the RAF stationed in the North of England and billeted in Maltby, a mining town in South Yorkshire. This was a platonic relationship as she was engaged to my father (now 94) was in Africa training to fly Hurricanes.

She mentioned that Feliks had a brother but he had no idea of his whereabouts, my mother then chased through the various government departments to find him and the two were reunited.

Feliks had 2 sisters who then made my mother a wire flower (I suspect it was wire and silk or cotton) which my grandmother (her mother-in-law) sewed onto a dress that she made for my mother.

Feliks was then posted elsewhere in the UK or into Europe and my mother lost touch with him at this point.

I said that I would try and find out what had happened to Feliks and his brother, a few searched on the internet have revealed little as most records seem to be of aircrew and we do not know if Feliks was a pilot, aircrew or ground crew.

If anyone can offer any advice as to where I can ask, look or search that would be brilliant, many thanks for reading this far.

Regards, Paul.
Visit poster's website
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:58 am      Post subject:

Hi Paul,

Very little information here on your Feliks, but by clicking on his name you can at least see what his rank (both RAF and Polish ranks) and position were. Also, there are two other Prus listed here, a Jan and a Stefan. Perhaps Jan is his brother; Stefan likely not because his year of birth is the same as that of Feliks.

http://listakrzystka.pl/en/pl-py/page/21/

Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:10 am      Post subject:

Paul,

Not sure if you came across this is your search. Feliks Prus is listed in an issue of the London Gazette in 1957. On page 1048 you see his name. Paging back to page 1045, it appears to be a list of people offered citizenship by the U.K.

http://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/41003/page/1048

Sophia
PaulER

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:05 am      Post subject: Feliks Pruss

Many thanks for these two leads I will crack on and follow up, I'll post back and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again.
Paul.
Visit poster's website
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:50 am      Post subject:

Hi Paul,
I see that Ancestry has a death record for "Felix Prus" (so, an anglicized spelling of his first name) in 2013 in Somerset, England but I do not have the int'l subscription to access that. The death records for England on the FamilySearch website only go to 2007, so I cannot get at it there. It is possible that this is your Feliks.
It may be that you can locate living descendants of his in the Somerset area.
Best wishes to your mother and father, a generation to whom we owe so much.
Sophia
PaulER

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:35 am      Post subject: Feliks Pruss

Sophia,
many thanks for your help, I will try and see what can be done.
Are you Polish or of Polish descent yourself?
Many thanks again.
Paul.
Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: