PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:39 am      Post subject: Availability of online record from 1800 Kowal

Greetings....

I have found a reference to my 4th g.grandparents marriage On Genetka but am unable to locate an online record. The Genetka index indicates they were not Catholic and I haven't been able to find any Evangelical online archives going back to 1800.

I'm hoping I have missed a resource where this might be found.

As always, I greatly appreciate the help!
Regards,
Joe

Kieber-Krause.jpg
 Description:
Kieber-Krause marriage, 1800 Kowal
 Filesize:  113.91 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Kieber-Krause.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:35 am      Post subject:

Hi Joe,
I took a look at Geneteka, and when you filter it down so that you are seeing all 27 of the marriages from the year 1800 in Kowal, there are a few (like that of Jan Kieber, #12) that have the note about being not Catholic. To me, this means that the rest of them probably were Catholic, so I don't think you should be looking for a separate set of Lutheran records for that year in that place. They seem to just be recorded amongst the Catholic ones. What do you think?
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:12 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Hi Joe,
I took a look at Geneteka, and when you filter it down so that you are seeing all 27 of the marriages from the year 1800 in Kowal, there are a few (like that of Jan Kieber, #12) that have the note about being not Catholic. To me, this means that the rest of them probably were Catholic, so I don't think you should be looking for a separate set of Lutheran records for that year in that place. They seem to just be recorded amongst the Catholic ones. What do you think?
Sophia

Joe & Sophia,

Here is the link to the record. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSV8-6SC4?cat=765424 It is recorded in the R.C. parish in Kowal. From what I’ve seen over the years, it was not uncommon for Protestants to have children baptized and marriages blessed in the Catholic parish when there was no Lutheran parish within a reasonable distance….An early type of Ecumenism. The record is #12 on the left page in the image.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:36 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
Sophia wrote:
Hi Joe,
Sophia

Joe & Sophia,

Here is the link to the record. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSV8-6SC4?cat=765424 It is recorded in the R.C. parish in Kowal. From what I’ve seen over the years, it was not uncommon for Protestants to have children baptized and marriages blessed in the Catholic parish when there was no Lutheran parish within a reasonable distance….An early type of Ecumenism. The record is #12 on the left page in the image.

Dave

Joe & Sophia,

In case you are not able to view the record via the link, as the ancient Romans used to say:"mirabile auditu, visu, et dictu (wonderful to hear, see, and say), here is the image.

Dave

record-image_3Q9M-CSV8-6SC4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  794.23 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

record-image_3Q9M-CSV8-6SC4.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:03 pm      Post subject:

Thanks for posting the image, Dave. You were right that I was not able to view it otherwise. Didn't the ancient Romans have some saying to the effect of "all roads lead to an LDS Family History Center if you want to see actual images?"
Best,
Sophia
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:32 pm      Post subject:

[quote="dnowicki"]
Dave wrote:

.... it was not uncommon for Protestants to have children baptized and marriages blessed in the Catholic parish when there was no Lutheran parish within a reasonable distance….An early type of Ecumenism.
Dave

Well Dave,  not really. 
Vital records were kept in some areas of Europe, but it wasn't consistent until Napoleon required vital record keeping for all in the areas he ruled.   The Catholic church recorded those events that took place in the Catholic church.   Civil records - sometimes - were recorded in the larger towns and cities.

Napoleon required that all births, marriages and deaths were to be recorded by civil authorities, and if those weren't available, then at the local church. 
With many small villages there was no local church,  the people worshiped without one.   But they had to record those vitals, and that's when the protestants would record those at one of the ubiquitous Catholic churches.

Any protestant that learned why the protestants were not Catholic would not have had any Catholic bless their marriage or baptize their children in a Catholic church - Let alone, no Catholic priest would bless or baptize a 'non-believer'! 

Bob K.
Send e-mail
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:42 am      Post subject:

Sophia, Dave, Bob...thank you all so very much for your extremely valuable input! Having the actual record is an exciting find and raises new questions. I'll request a translation of the Latin over on the appropriate topic but wanted to thank you each for your greatly appreciated help!
Best,
Joe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: