PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 15

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 am      Post subject: Stanislawa Marcinkowski 1864-1898

Hello, I'm looking for help trying to find the parents of this great grandmother of mine. This request relates to an earlier post about the problem I'm having with the record of her marriage at St. Adalbert's Church in Chicago in 1883, where she married Leon Wasniewski. The witness at the baptism of my grandfather in 1895 at the same church was a Joseph Marcinkowski. Other of that last name that had marriages at that same church in the PGSA index were Agnes married Joseph Konratowicz in 1903, Andrew married Olga Geissert in 1886, Frank married Maria Bak in 1891, Hedwig married Wladyslaw Szszeski in 1914, Julia married Frank Wardynski in 1898, Maria married Ignacy Nawrocki in 1912 and Theodora married Theodore Pawlowski in 1885. If anyone recognizes any of those other names, that would also be helpful. I've been trying to find them on Family Search and Ancestry.com as well. Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

wasniewski.leon.1883.06.17.marriage.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  wasniewski.leon.1883.06.17.marriage.pdf
 Filesize:  451.17 KB
 Downloaded:  439 Time(s)

WasniewskTh

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:36 am      Post subject:

Many thanks again to all the help offered under the posting St. Adalbert Records in Chicago. Especially to dnowicki, sheep17, sophia and looking for clues. The information about Fr. Snigurski's illnesses in his last year in Chicago was revealing and made this understandable, if not less disappointing. I'll be following up on all the various strategies offered, but most of the records mentioned were already known to me.

In the meantime, I did get a possible major breakthrough from a DNA match, and it wasn't even a Marcinkowski. One of my other lines is Pawlowski, and it has turned out that the Theodore Pawlowski, whose 1885 marriage is mentioned above, was the first cousin of my great grandfather. His wife Theodora was born 1868, and to me now seems very likely to be the younger sister of Stanislawa. The St. Adalbert record for that 1885 marriage is happily intact, and gives Piotr and Marie Nalezna as the parents.

So now I have at least some names to look for in the Polish birth records, if not a town. An initial search on Geneteka didn't find anything, but hopefully at some point I'll be able to find some documents that might lead to a town.

Still, if anyone who reads anything on this post is already familiar with the Marcinkowski family, comments would be welcome.

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:14 am      Post subject:

Hi Thomas,
How wonderful that you found a connection that may get you to Stanislawa's parents. If Theodora (nee Marcinkowska) Pawlowska is indeed her sister, then you have a good situation because their mother's maiden surname, Należna (for males it would be Należny), is rather rare in Poland. Rare is good for genealogists! The name comes from the word "to find," znaleźć, according to http://www.stankiewicze.com/index.php?kat=44&sub=546. If that name isn't a good omen, I don't know what is!
Best of luck determining which town they came from,
Sophia
P.S. I would have included a link to the moikrewni website which shows, on a map, the distribution of surnames, but I cannot seem to get that to work today. Can anyone show me how to get to it?
WasniewskTh

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:29 am      Post subject:

Thanks for the link to the Stankiewicze page, I'll have to keep track of that one. Even Hoffman's book that I got from the PGSA did not have the Nalezny name. I have been to Moikrewni before, and I will have to try it again now.
WasniewskTh

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:00 am      Post subject:

I just tried Moikrewni again, and several times at that. It seems to be re-directing now to a My Heritage page. I googled "map of surnames in Poland" and was brought to a Family Search wiki page, that had Moikrewni too. But its link led to the same place. If you are having the same result, then this might be worth a new post under a separate title? I do have access to My Heritage through an account from my sister-in-law and will poke around there a little to see if I can find it. But if it has in fact become part of that site now, it's bad news because that's a paid subscription group.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:20 am      Post subject:

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for following up on this. Yes, a re-direct to My Heritage is exactly the problem I was having when I tried to access moikrewni. If you want to go ahead and open this issue up as a new thread, I am sure people on this forum will find it useful.
Fortunately, I am still able to access information about the distribution of surnames by using
http://herby.com.pl/
but it is much more tedious to do so. If you are familiar with how to navigate that site, fine. If not, I can walk you through the steps.
Best,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: