PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:29 am      Post subject:

Hi Diane,
I am curious where you found the info that Leon Wasniewski was from German Poland.
On another note, there must have been a second Jozef Marcinkowski in Chicago, other than the one you provided links to here. This other Jozef joined Haller's Army (WWI) and his application form is here:
http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/365/39/0/1/430?q=Marcinkowski+XSKANro:t&wynik=2&rpp=15&page=1#tabSkany
You have to click on the images and enlarge them in order to read them. Anyway, this other Jozef Marcinkowski was from Kalisz, in Russian Poland. Born in 1870, I thought he was a reasonable candidate to be a younger brother of Stanislawa. Then again, he might just be a totally unrelated Jozef Marcinkowski.
Best,
Sophia
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 122

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:17 pm      Post subject:

Hi Sophia,
Leo Wasnowski (per index) - United States Census, 1900 - with second wife and 7 children, shows Poland G
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MS3W-XXH

John Wasnewski (per index) - Illinois, Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915, likely child of Leon Wasniewski and Stanislawa Marckinowska, shows Germany, https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N7HL-P38

I may have missed the other Jozef Marcinkowski (on FamilySearch) that found in the Haller's Army records. Or it was indexed wrong. My focus was on the one I found in St. Adlabert's cemetery.

By the way, slightly off topic - what were your steps to search the Haller's Army records on szukajwarchiwach.pl? That could come in hand sometime.

Diane
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:39 pm      Post subject:

Hi Diane,
Thanks for the explanation about the Wasniewskis.
As for finding Haller's Army records on szukajwarchiwach, it was easy peasy! I just used the search term "Marcinkowski." Up came three guys, including this Jozef. I was surprised! They seem to have put every single application up, and searching by surname is all you need to do. Some of them seem to have more complete records than others. And it appears to me that whoever created the typed record (which shows up as the first page) was not 100% accurate, as you see when you compare it to the handwritten application (which shows up second). Good that both are available to look at.
Best,
Sophia
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 122

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:12 am      Post subject:

Thanks Sophia. A couple I am looking for are not showing up, I'll have to go back and look at alternate spellings.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:59 am      Post subject:

Hi Diane. I would be happy to help you find them, if you want.
Sophia
Gavinmnt

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:45 am      Post subject:

Thanks for reaching out with your findings on St. Adalbert's Church Records and the info on Leon Wasniewski's origin. It's great to see individuals taking an interest in their family history and uncovering new information.
Regarding the second Jozef Marcinkowski you mentioned, it's fascinating to see the various records available online and how they can add more context to our family history. It's definitely possible that he could be a younger brother of Stanislawa or completely unrelated, as you mentioned. If you're interested in learning more about the faith aspect of family history, consider checking out the resources available at the apostolic church because they might have some info, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: