PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:59 am      Post subject: Help locating Ukrainian Galician (ex-Poland) family

Hi all, my first post here but most definitely not my last...what an amazing resource. I really hope that some of you can help me.

I have a Ukrainian grandfather and a Belarusian grandma. I found my Belarusian family via Zhdi Menya but have reached a dead end with my grandfather. This is what I know, his story and what I have found so far:

-Born Ivan Sklinar (СКЛИНАР) on 29 December 1924, in Oriv, near Drohobych in Lviv Oblast (then Orow in Poland as I'm sure you all know). I have had this confirmed by getting his war signup record from WAST in Berlin.

-He had a brother called Basil (ВАСИЛИЙ) who I think was younger than him who was taken during the war. After the war, Basil returned to his hometown and settled in Stebneke (СТЕБНИК). I have an address for him but he's likely to have died now. However on nomer.org I have found another Sklinar living at that same address (they are called МИРОСЛАВА). I am unsure is Basil had any children, which means there will be no direct relatives to me left in Ukraine as the line stops, but there may be distant cousins.

-Their father was Aleksy/Aleksandr (thank heavens for middle name conventions!)

- My grandad Ivan came to UK in 1947 or 1948 (this seems to be classified info so no passenger list available etc. I have found some information about general prisoners but nothing with our surname).

-The Sklinars I have found on vk.com are all around Drohobych (Stebneke, Borislav, Oriv) and nowhere else, so looks like a rare surname concentrated in Western Ukraine - surely related to me somehow? I have contacted 2 of them and they have no knowledge of a Basil Sklinar. I have evn tried posting in the village Facebook group - nobody seems to know anything.

-I have even printed out every Sklinar on nomer.org to try work out who is related to who, but I can't see a link to my family.

I really don't know what else I can do or where else to look. I've been googling in both English and Cyrillic. Ideally I'd like to find his birth records or a census showing the siblings of his parents to find out if any cousins could exist.

I cannot find anything online in the new Metrical books that were recently added to online family history searches and feel my next step is to head to Ukraine to do more work.

So I'm going to go to Lviv in November to find out more about culture - Oriv is a Boyko village with a single street in the Carpathian foothills. I am wondering if there might be anything in Polish archives (unsure which ones) - any ideas where to go/search next? Poland is an option fr me too as part of this trip.

Thank you! I hope this makes sense. Oriv also has a village council but I cannot find an email address, and am trying to desperately learn Ukrainian ahead of a visit!
aleksanderz
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 56

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:00 am      Post subject:

Hi,

Some information that might help you:

- Ivan's brother's name in Latin alphabet would be spelled Wasilij (or Vasylyi for a more English version).

- Both at the end of XIX century and in 1930s, Oriv had a Greek-Catholic parish in the village. For Roman-Catholics, the parish at the end of XIX century was in Drohobych and in the 1930s in Truskawiec.

- the year of 1924 is a quite recent one for genealogists, in Poland there would be no option of accessing records from that period either online or in archives, due to personal data protection laws (usually, 100 years need to pass before the records are being moved from the local Civil Registry Office to the State Archives). As far as I know, in Ukraine the period is 75 years, so Vasylyi's birth record should already be somewhere in the Archives. My guess would be either in the Lviv Archives or in Skole Civil Registry Office (if the records haven't been moved yet, Skole is the seat of the area to which Oriv belongs).

Contact info to the Lviv Archives: http://www.archives.gov.ua/Eng/Archives/ca04.php

Contact info for Skole's office: https://skole-rda.gov.ua/feedback/

Good luck!
dearbarbie

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:55 am      Post subject:

thank you for your reply! I'm quite new to family history even though my mum has been doing it all of my life for an easier side of the family to trace. How do I know which records are kept in which archive?

I'm planning on visiting Kyiv too, and there are archives there - will that be a waste of my time?

Thanks for the Vasily too - I don't know why I said 'Basil' - probably as that's what my grandad called him, but both those spellings are really useful.

Thankfully there's a a train from Lviv > Skole which is super handy, and also I get to see the Carpathians a bit where my ancestors lived, too Smile If only Oriv was as easy! I found a family history researcher but sadly cannot afford his services in terms of knocking on doors and showing photos to people.
aleksanderz
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 56

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:58 am      Post subject:

As for the materials that Lviv and Kiev archives hold, you can read the (not too detailed) descriptions here:

Lviv: http://www.archives.gov.ua/Eng/Archives/ca04.php#Description

Kiev: http://www.archives.gov.ua/Eng/Archives/ca03.php#Description

It would be the best to contact the archives directly and ask them if they have the materials that interest you (and if not, who else has them).

Usually, records are stored regionally, therefore I do not suppose Kiev would have anything of use to you, but you never know Smile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: