PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:27 am      Post subject: Toczko and Rojkowska

My cousins great grandparents were from Poland/Russia. Could you tell me the origins of the names Toczko and Rojkowska?
Send e-mail
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:09 am      Post subject:

Hello Tom,

Toczko; Tocz-; from toczyć "to roll, wheel". In written sources very similar surname Toczka appeares in 1420.

There were 823 people by the surname Toczko living in Poland and most lived in Sokółka (80) and in Siemiatycze (62) areas .

Rojkowski; Roj-; from rój "hive, swarm, maltitude", or roić się "to swarm, spin". In written sources surname Rojko appeares in 1391. It is possible that originaly Rojko was the only surname and somwhere in time the ending -wski was added (look at the article: http://polishorigins.com/document/surnames ). Rojkowska (ending with -a) is a female form of this surname.

There were 197 people by the surname Rojkowski living in Poland and most (38 ) lived in Kutno area.

Sources:
-Nazwiska Polaków (Surnames of Poles) by proffesor Kazimierz Rymut, Wroclaw-Warszawa-Krakow, 1991

- Polish Surnames: Origins and Meanings by William F. Hoffman, Chicago, 1998.

- Database of surnames used in Poland compiled in 2002 by prof. K.Rymut - Dictionary of Surnames in Current Use in Poland.
Send e-mail
KrystinToczko

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:10 pm      Post subject: Toczko

Hello I am a Toczko, What is the meaning of Toczko. My grandfather always said as wise as a fox haha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: