PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:25 pm      Post subject: Niemiec and Kuczek in Giedlarowa (Galicia)

I am seeking information about family relatives of my grandfather, Józef Niemiec, who was born in Giedlarowa on September 24, 1889. He and his brother Michał emigrated in 1900 and 1909, respectively, but they left behind siblings and parents in Giedlarowa.

Józef’s parents were Marcin Niemiec (born 6 Oct 1846) and Regina Kuczek (born 30 Aug 1861). They lived at house #231 in Giedlarowa. Among Józef’s siblings were: Antoni (born 11 May 1896), Jan (born 21 May 1899), and Aniela Niemiec (4 different birthdates for Aniela appear in Giedlarowa school records: 30 Jan 1900 - 30 Jan 1901 - 30 Nov 1901 - and 30 Jan 1902). As late as 1913, according to school records, Antoni, Jan, and Aniela still lived at #231 Giedlarowa. However, I do not know if or when Antoni, Jan, and Aniela Niemiec married. Nor do I know if they had children.

Józef also had a half-sister Katarzyna (born 12 Oct 1874 – the daughter of Marcin Niemiec and Marcin’s first wife Agnieszka Niemiec). I did not find Katarzyna in the marriage records (up to 7 Feb 1893) or the death records (up to 16 Apr 1901) that are posted online. Maybe she married after 7 Feb 1893, but I did not find any children for her in birth records (up to 15 Jan 1899) nor in death records (up to 16 Apr 1901). Another possibility is that she died without marrying, after 16 Apr 1901.

I have three wishes.
1. My greatest hope would be to somehow contact living descendants of Antoni, Jan, Aniela or Katarzyna Niemiec. Or living descendants of Regina Kuczek’s family.
2. Short of that goal, I seek to find marriage and death records for Antoni, Jan, Aniela or Katarzyna. According to the priest in Giedlarowa, he does not have books from early 20th century – these are in the Civil Registry Office in Lezajsk.
3. At the least, I would like photos of the gravesites of Marcin and Regina Niemiec (my grandfather’s parents).

If anyone has contacts in Giedlarowa, please let me know. Or, if anyone can suggest ways for me to proceed further in this research, I would be grateful to hear what they might be.

Warm regards,
Michael
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:49 am      Post subject:

Hello Michael,

You may have already seen this, but here is a link to the cemetery in Giedlarowa that has a searchable online database along with pictures of the graves. Perhaps some of the Niemiec descendants are buried here. When I searched for Niemiec, about 12-15 graves appeared:

http://www.giedlarowacmentarz.pl/?s=Niemiec

One thing you can do is to hire a local researcher who speaks Polish (if you do not) to contact the cemetery and ask them if they can tell you who is listed as the owner of the grave in their database. Grave plots are often leased for a period of years and the "owner" of the grave is the relative or person who has paid for the rent. They are also the ones who visit and care for the grave. This can lead you to finding living relatives. I did this when searching for living descendants of my ancestors in Dynow, and the information was very helpful. They may even have records in their database of graves that no longer have headstones (usually from early-mid 1800s).

It is one way to approach it. The other way would be to hire a local researcher to actually go to the town and begin asking around for living Niemiec relatives.

I hope this helps,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
MikeHNiemczyk

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:43 am      Post subject: Searching for Niemiecs

Thank you, Cynthia. I did see that grave database and searched for Antoni and Jan (Katarzyna and Aniela would have different last names if they married), but without luck. Perhaps I have to employ a local researcher as I have in the past - the one who told me the priest wasn't helpful. Do you suppose he could succeed in a day? I assume that Antoni's, Jan's, Aniela's, Katarzyna's living descendants would be grandchildren, and the researcher would have to learn two generations of names.

Michael
KrysNYC

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:30 pm      Post subject: Giedlarowa

My parents are from there. I can help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: