PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:34 pm      Post subject: Burkiewicz Surname Search

My grandmother Julia Bernice Burkiewicz was born in 1891 came to the USA in 1906.

Her sister Waleria Burkiewicz was born 1894 married a Michota in Poland and gave birth to daughter Janina Michota in Poland 16 Aug 1918 Waleria's husband died and she left for the United States with Janina later on.

There is suggestion that Julia and Waleria had a male sibiling (name I would like to know) and that their parents died (names I would like to know) therefore the children were raised by an aunt and uncle, names I would like to know.

Ships passage documents indicate they came from Dzierzkowice, Poland and perhaps born in Gmina Dzierzkowice, Poland

A family member suggested Kraśnik, Poland and I have also heard Lublin referred to several times.

My grandmother always indicated she was from the country side and close to a lake where she learned to swim. Apparently her parents house was bombed and only a basement remained.

I would like to know how her parents died and if there are any documents I can obtain as well as remaining relatives in the area where they came from.

Julia Birth Place.JPG
 Description:
This is from the ship's passage, I have no clue where this town is located and if the name has changed.
 Filesize:  46.49 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Julia Birth Place.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:56 pm      Post subject: Re: Burkiewicz Surname Search

Seamac07 wrote:
My grandmother Julia Bernice Burkiewicz was born in 1891 came to the USA in 1906.

Her sister Waleria Burkiewicz was born 1894 married a Michota in Poland and gave birth to daughter Janina Michota in Poland 16 Aug 1918 Waleria's husband died and she left for the United States with Janina later on.

There is suggestion that Julia and Waleria had a male sibiling (name I would like to know) and that their parents died (names I would like to know) therefore the children were raised by an aunt and uncle, names I would like to know.

Ships passage documents indicate they came from Dzierzkowice, Poland and perhaps born in Gmina Dzierzkowice, Poland

A family member suggested Kraśnik, Poland and I have also heard Lublin referred to several times.

My grandmother always indicated she was from the country side and close to a lake where she learned to swim. Apparently her parents house was bombed and only a basement remained.

I would like to know how her parents died and if there are any documents I can obtain as well as remaining relatives in the area where they came from.

Hi,

There are several places with the name Dzierzkowice within the same area (Cf. attached map). Based on the info you posted a likely location would be Dzierzkowice Podwody. All the places in the area list the parish to which they belonged as Dzierzkowice Majorackie. That would seem to be a good starting point for your research.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Screenshot_2018-12-09 mapa szukacz pl - Mapa Polski z planami miast.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1006.1 KB

Screenshot_2018-12-09 mapa szukacz pl - Mapa Polski z planami miast.png

Seamac07

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:55 pm      Post subject: Re: Burkiewicz Surname Search

dnowicki wrote:
Seamac07 wrote:

Hi,

There are several places with the name Dzierzkowice within the same area (Cf. attached map). Based on the info you posted a likely location would be Dzierzkowice Podwody. All the places in the area list the parish to which they belonged as Dzierzkowice Majorackie. That would seem to be a good starting point for your research.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Hi, and thanks for your immediate reply Dave. I need to get further clarification … when you refer to the "parish" to which they belonged, is Dzierzkowice Majorackie another geographical community name or Catholic Church Parish. There are several areas here in the United States where they refer to regions as Parishes and Buroughs so without familiarity I feel a little lost, sorry.

I do not read Polish and I would think that my grandmother and great grand parents records would have been recorded in their local church. Do you have any clues as to how to point me to locate those records or who I might be able to contact?

Thanks so much for your time.

Trish

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:34 pm      Post subject: Re: Burkiewicz Surname Search

Seamac07 wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
Seamac07 wrote:

Hi,

Wishing you success,

Dave

Hi, and thanks for your immediate reply Dave. I need to get further clarification … when you refer to the "parish" to which they belonged, is Dzierzkowice Majorackie another geographical community name or Catholic Church Parish. There are several areas here in the United States where they refer to regions as Parishes and Buroughs so without familiarity I feel a little lost, sorry.

I do not read Polish and I would think that my grandmother and great grand parents records would have been recorded in their local church. Do you have any clues as to how to point me to locate those records or who I might be able to contact?

Thanks so much for your time.

Trish

Hi Trish,

Parishes in Poland are not like parishes in Louisiana, for example. Parishes in Poland are primarily subdivisions of a Catholic diocese or archdiocese. However, there is a certain amount of overlap with secular institutions as far as vital records are concerned. During the 19th Century until after WWI in the Russian (where the parish you want was located) and in the Austrian Partitions and in the German Partition until 1874 parish priests were religious functionaries who also acted as civil registrars for what we would call vital stats. When things go smoothly for doing genealogical research those civil records (civil transcripts) can be found online. Unfortunately, that is not the case for the records you need. You would need to contact the parish (church) office and request the records you need. The parish church you need is under the patronage of St. Stanislaus bishop & martyr and St. Mary Magdalene (św. Stanisława BM i św. Marii Magdaleny). The pastor of the parish is Gregory Michael Więcław (Więcław Grzegorz Michał) and the address is:
Rynek 144
23-251 Dzierzkowice
The letter should be written in Polish. Family Search does have a letter writing guide with some sample sentences. Here is the link https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Poland_Letter_Writing_Guide
If you post your letter in the form either I or someone else will be able to suggest any additions or corrections.
Attached is a screenshot of the parish info.

If you have any more questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Good luck with your quest,

Dave

Screenshot_2018-12-10 Parafia.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.23 KB

Screenshot_2018-12-10 Parafia.png

PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 181

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:10 am      Post subject:

The following page indicates that pre-1915 BDM records were destroyed in 1915 when the parish church and archive were burnt down by the retreating Russian army https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parafia_%C5%9Bw._Stanis%C5%82awa_i_%C5%9Bw._Marii_Magdaleny_w_Dzierzkowicach
“In 1915, the outgoing Russian army burned the presbytery and outbuildings, but the church was saved. The old archive burned. New buildings were erected in the interwar period. The parish archives include records from 1945.”

Interestingly, there do not appear to be any civil copies of the BDM records, either. The regional archives in nearby Lublin, have nothing in their holdings catalogue for Dzierzkowice.

So, not looking good. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: