PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:14 pm      Post subject: Szumowski Surname

Hello,
I am trying to find any info on the surname Szumowski or Sumowski. Anything on the meaning or origin. My great grandfather Stefan Sumowski come to the US in 1913. I believe it used to be Szumowski before coming to the US. I have searched both names and have been unable to find much on either name.

Thanks!
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 am      Post subject: Re: Szumowski Surname

kaylabski wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to find any info on the surname Szumowski or Sumowski. Anything on the meaning or origin. My great grandfather Stefan Sumowski come to the US in 1913. I believe it used to be Szumowski before coming to the US. I have searched both names and have been unable to find much on either name.

Thanks!

Hi,

In Polish we use the concept of "rdzeń", root, for words - it is the central part of a word, without prefixes and suffixes. You may imagine that a word is like an onion, you shall peel all skins and tails.
The root of “Szumowski” is “szum”:
szum 1) ‘jednostajny szmer (takze jak morze czy wodospad); 2) zamieszki, zamęt’, szumieć ‘wywoływać szum;
// 1) the sound of 'steady murmur (also like sea, or water falls); 2) unrest, turmoil 'hum' cause noise;
The root of “Sumowski” is “suma”:
Suma: “sum”, to sum, (like addition in calculations)

762 Szumowski in today’s Poland
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Szumowski
110 Szumowicz
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Szumowicz
313 Szum
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Szum
All the above “Szum” + suffix' distributions let think that this name could be from today north-north-east Poland, read areas are near Lomza to Bialystok.

87 Sumowski
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Sumowski
no Sumowicz
280 Suma
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Suma
“Suma” much concentration spots.

The other possibility for etymology of names is the geography, the name of village.

There is a number of places with name starting with "szum": few Szumowo, Szumsk, Szumów, Huta Szumy [Ironworks Noise], etc. Similar with "sum": Sumowo, Sumin, etc.

A dozen of them are in north-east Poland, the largest one is:
Szumowo
siedziba gminy
1038 osób
woj. podlaskie
pow. zambrowski
gmina Szumowo
Sumowo's are in the very north-east.

Huta Szumy and Szumów are in Lubelskie.
Sumin's are in Lubelskie.

Best,
Elzbieta
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:14 am      Post subject:

Hello, You have your ggfather on Ellisisland wrtitten as Szumowski Stefan. Definitely it would be right spelling. "Sz" letters are typical polish so it cant be written by mistake. If thats him, then wow, he states his nationality is Ruthenian. He comes from Grochowce, village near Przemyśl. At that time this area was more eastern than today.
kaylabski

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:50 pm      Post subject: Re: Szumowski Surname

Elzbieta Porteneuve wrote:
kaylabski wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!

Hi,

In Polish we use the concept of "rdzeń", root, for words - it is the central part of a word, without prefixes and suffixes. You may imagine that a word is like an onion, you shall peel all skins and tails.
The root of “Szumowski” is “szum”:
szum 1) ‘jednostajny szmer (takze jak morze czy wodospad); 2) zamieszki, zamęt’, szumieć ‘wywoływać szum;
// 1) the sound of 'steady murmur (also like sea, or water falls); 2) unrest, turmoil 'hum' cause noise;
The root of “Sumowski” is “suma”:
Suma: “sum”, to sum, (like addition in calculations)

762 Szumowski in today’s Poland
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/szumowski.html
110 Szumowicz
www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/szumowicz.html
313 Szum
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/szum.html
All the above “Szum” + suffix' distributions let think that this name could be from today north-north-east Poland, read areas are near Lomza to Bialystok.

87 Sumowski
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/sumowski.html
no Sumowicz
280 Suma
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/suma.html
“Suma” much concentration spots.

The other possibility for etymology of names is the geography, the name of village.

There is a number of places with name starting with "szum": few Szumowo, Szumsk, Szumów, Huta Szumy [Ironworks Noise], etc. Similar with "sum": Sumowo, Sumin, etc.

A dozen of them are in north-east Poland, the largest one is:
Szumowo
siedziba gminy
1038 osób
woj. podlaskie
pow. zambrowski
gmina Szumowo
Sumowo's are in the very north-east.

Huta Szumy and Szumów are in Lubelskie.
Sumin's are in Lubelskie.

Best,
Elzbieta

Wow! Thank you so much! I do have some old letters from my great grandpa that were written to someone in Lomza so I think that is where my ancestors were from. Unfortunately they are in Polish and I don't speak Polish but I'm hoping he was writing to some family and that some of the of the Szumowskis in Poland today are my relatives! It's also very interesting to know what Szumowski means Again thank you!
kaylabski

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:53 pm      Post subject:

sirdan wrote:
Hello, You have your ggfather on Ellisisland wrtitten as Szumowski Stefan. Definitely it would be right spelling. "Sz" letters are typical polish so it cant be written by mistake. If thats him, then wow, he states his nationality is Ruthenian. He comes from Grochowce, village near Przemyśl. At that time this area was more eastern than today.

I believe that is him. I'm not familiar with Ruthenian. What is that? Thanks for the help!
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:19 am      Post subject:

Interesting, why ggpa written to someone in Łomża. Maybe part of family was living there. On the manifest from 1913 its written Austria so means Galicy. Or maybe there is anothe manifest of other Stefan (from Łomża or surroundings)

Ruthenians is a ethinc group, usually living on the south-east of Poland, and borders with Ukraine. They were usually Bojkos or Łemkos. After some read now i know there are also some Poleszuks/Podleszuks on Podlasie.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:52 am      Post subject: Ruthenia

I'm not familiar with Ruthenian. What is that? Thanks for the help![/quote]

kaylabski,

To understand the relationships of the various ethnic groups found in 19th and early 20th Century Partitioned Poland it is really helpful to understand the history of Poland prior to the Partitions. The country that was commonly known as Poland from the 16th through the 18th Centuries was much larger than the Poland of today. The country was more properly known as the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Narodow), a territory which was made up of the Crown Lands of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania as well as smaller fiefs and dependencies. Since Poland was the dominant partner in the Commonwealth, the entire Commonwealth as usually simply called "Poland". As such a large country it was not ethnically homogeneous. One portion of the Crown Lands was Wojewodztwo Kijewskie, an area with a heavy Ruthenian population. In the middle of the 17th Century Poland went through a period of insurrection and invasion known as "The Deluge" (Potop). As a partial response to the Cossack insurrection, which was part of the "Deluge" in the far southeastern lands of the Commonwealth (modern Ukraine), a proposed political solution was to alter the structure of the country from a Commonwealth of two nations (i.e. Poland & Lithuania) to a Commonwealth of three nations (i.e. Poland & Lithuania & Ruthenia). This political entity would have been known as the Polish-Lithuanian-Ruthenian Commonwealth (Rzeczpostpolita Troiga Narodow). The three nation Commonwealth never came to fruition as a political reality, although it came close to becoming a reality. In a sense, this proposed new political reality would have been another political recognition of ethnic diversity within the territory commonly called Poland.

Perhaps the attached maps may help to visually clarify what "Ruthenian" meant. There are more detailed maps of the Wojewodztwa of the Commonwealth from that time but they exceed the allowed size for attachments. On the key of the map of the Commonwealth in the 17th Century the Crown Lands are Ziemie Koronne and the Duchy of Lithuania is Ziemie Wielkiego Ksiestwa Litewskiego.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Commonwealth in 17th Century.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  807.19 KB
 Viewed:  11448 Time(s)

Commonwealth in 17th Century.jpg

Rzeczpostpolita Troiga Narodow (Proposed).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.41 MB
 Viewed:  11448 Time(s)

Rzeczpostpolita Troiga Narodow (Proposed).png

kaylabski

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:27 am      Post subject:

sirdan wrote:
Interesting, why ggpa written to someone in Łomża. Maybe part of family was living there. On the manifest from 1913 its written Austria so means Galicy. Or maybe there is anothe manifest of other Stefan (from Łomża or surroundings)

Ruthenians is a ethinc group, usually living on the south-east of Poland, and borders with Ukraine. They were usually Bojkos or Łemkos. After some read now i know there are also some Poleszuks/Podleszuks on Podlasie.

I have found several Stefan Szumowskis on other manifests but the years are incorrect. I'm wondering if maybe they may be related to me as well. My family has a habit of using the same name multiple times. I am having a hard time grasping the Ruthenian ethnicity. Is it Ukrainian or a mixture of ethnicities of that area? Sorry, this is the first I am hearing of this so I'm quite confused.
kaylabski

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:46 am      Post subject: Re: Ruthenia

dnowicki wrote:
I'm not familiar with Ruthenian. What is that? Thanks for the help!

kaylabski,

To understand the relationships of the various ethnic groups found in 19th and early 20th Century Partitioned Poland it is really helpful to understand the history of Poland prior to the Partitions. The country that was commonly known as Poland from the 16th through the 18th Centuries was much larger than the Poland of today. The country was more properly known as the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Narodow), a territory which was made up of the Crown Lands of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania as well as smaller fiefs and dependencies. Since Poland was the dominant partner in the Commonwealth, the entire Commonwealth as usually simply called "Poland". As such a large country it was not ethnically homogeneous. One portion of the Crown Lands was Wojewodztwo Kijewskie, an area with a heavy Ruthenian population. In the middle of the 17th Century Poland went through a period of insurrection and invasion known as "The Deluge" (Potop). As a partial response to the Cossack insurrection, which was part of the "Deluge" in the far southeastern lands of the Commonwealth (modern Ukraine), a proposed political solution was to alter the structure of the country from a Commonwealth of two nations (i.e. Poland & Lithuania) to a Commonwealth of three nations (i.e. Poland & Lithuania & Ruthenia). This political entity would have been known as the Polish-Lithuanian-Ruthenian Commonwealth (Rzeczpostpolita Troiga Narodow). The three nation Commonwealth never came to fruition as a political reality, although it came close to becoming a reality. In a sense, this proposed new political reality would have been another political recognition of ethnic diversity within the territory commonly called Poland.

Perhaps the attached maps may help to visually clarify what "Ruthenian" meant. There are more detailed maps of the Wojewodztwa of the Commonwealth from that time but they exceed the allowed size for attachments. On the key of the map of the Commonwealth in the 17th Century the Crown Lands are Ziemie Koronne and the Duchy of Lithuania is Ziemie Wielkiego Ksiestwa Litewskiego.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave[/quote]

Thank you! I am trying to understand a little better. It is very confusing! Does this mean that because Poland was never split into the three nation commonwealth that my great grandpa was considered Polish but may have been of other ethnic groups of that area such as Lithuania, Ukraine, Poland. This new mixture of ethnic groups was considered Ruthenian? Sorry! I am trying to understand.
Marcia Feinberg

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:01 am      Post subject: Szumowski

Hello,
I am friends with a lady last name Szumowski. from Massachusetts, USA....maybe you are related. Marcia
zonamoroza

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:56 pm      Post subject:

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for Szum family from Tarnawatka, Poland. Not sure if its the same surname with Szumowski.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: