PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:43 pm      Post subject: Rzeszow-Podkarpackie area of Poland

To: JWons Re: Kopczyk's near Golcowa Pow. Brzozow

My "Duplaga" family is from Brzozow. Golcowa is approximately 6 miles from Golcowa.

My 3rd GreatGrandmother in my Duplaga line is named Anna Kopczyk. She was married to Andrea Czuchra.

I know of 2 of their children: Franciszka Czuchra b 1824 (My 2nd GreatGrandmother)

Franciscus Czuchra b 1817

Please contact me with any information you may have on the Kopczyk Line.

MaryAnne
[email protected]
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:48 pm      Post subject: Rzeszow-Podkarpackie area of Poland

JWons--

Correction: Golcowa is approximately 6 miles from Brzozow!

MaryAnne
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:36 pm      Post subject:

That's great that you've made some connections here!

Thank you for this information and the link! I looks like the number on the cross is the same number on the shoulder - do you know if that is correct?

Unfortunately, the photo I have is not sharp enough to read the cross, but I think the number on the shoulder could be 22? The photo on the right shows some similar medals, but the solder on the right has a 28 on his shoulder and on his large pin.

Update March 21, 2019:
I was lucky enough to receive the following information from another PO member who responded to another posting:https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=41682#41682
On hist breast is a badge of his unit, on his collar an emblem of division. A badge looks like a cross with a circle element in its central part. On the circle can be seen outline of an eagle. There are also two canons crossed, these are the most characteristic elements. This is a badge of a regiment of light artillery.
An emblem on his collar. Three feathers of a bird of pray (an eagle) and svastica. This is an emblem of polish divisions of mountain infantry. Don't be confused that there is a svastica, it is 1930, nobody connects this symbol with nazi in that time. Than it is a symbol of happyness, fertility etc. commonly used by polish mountain units.

Screen shot 2014-03-16 at 2.22.07 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  293.28 KB
 Viewed:  8148 Time(s)

Screen shot 2014-03-16 at 2.22.07 PM.png

Screen shot 2014-03-16 at 2.17.54 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  734.61 KB
 Viewed:  8148 Time(s)

Screen shot 2014-03-16 at 2.17.54 PM.png

Last edited by Shellie on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:03 am      Post subject:

I knew someday I would get around to posting something new here. This photo, I believe, is of the lady in the plaid dress with the soldier and little girl (see previous page of this thread). The photo is of poor quality, low resolution, and partially cut off by another photo, but the bridges in the background caught my attention. Perhaps these can give me a clue to the location where the photo was taken.

Do these (or did these) bridges exist near the town of Rzeszow? The photo was taken in 1930.

UPDATE June 2020: I discovered that this photo was taken in Przemyśl and a cousin has contacted me!!
You can read more about it here: https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=9669

Thank you!

Ference Family Album - possible location Reszow, Turka, Drohobych, Boryslaw.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.4 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Ference Family Album - possible location Reszow, Turka, Drohobych, Boryslaw.jpeg

Last edited by Shellie on Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:16 pm      Post subject: Large rivers with railway bridges in former Galicia

Greetings,
I would refolmulate your question: where in former Galicia, between Rzeszow and Drohobycz (circa), there is a large river with railway bridge?
I would add that the pic of the lady is taken on the hill (i.e. hills nearby the city), the view on the bridge (one or two bridges) is from the hill.

Both of my grandfathers have been working for Royal Imperial Railways. My ears recall Lemberg/Lwow to Krakow, then Wien (Lwow, Przemysl, Radymno, Jaroslaw, Lancut, Rzeszow, etc.), and more local line Przemysl, Nizankowice, Chyrow, Lisko, or Sambor and Stryj.

The River San i quite large in Przemysl. And there are hills surrounding Przemysl.
The River Wislok in Rzeszow is tiny tiny, I do no remember any hill there, it's flat.
The River Strwiąż is quite large in Chyrow, but it is flat.
The River Dniestr is large in Sambor, and there are hills.

My guess would be Przemysl, then Sambor.
Best,
Elzbieta

https://maps.geshergalicia.org/galicia/austro-hungary-rail-1901/
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:15 pm      Post subject:

Elzbieta,

Thank you for your advice. A cousin of mine found a few tourist photos of Turka (I have no images of these). Perhaps I should also consider this area?
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:00 pm      Post subject:

Yes, certainly.

It seems to me something is written on the picture, accross the legs of the lady. I do not have neither software nor knowledge to play with the pic, and try to discover what is written. Maybe something interesting, maybe not.

Best,
Elzbieta
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:06 pm      Post subject:

Elzbieta, Thank you for your replies. I wonder if I have found the answer to my question. Here is a screen shot of the photo next to old postcards of Przemyśl from the very interesting site: forgottengalicia.com. I looked closely at the photo and did not see writing the bottom - I think it is a combination of weeds and artifacts from age. The photo was taken in 1930 and has begun to deteriorate.

Bridge compare.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  749.11 KB

Bridge compare.png

Ference family photo compare.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  994.37 KB

Ference family photo compare.png

Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:54 pm      Post subject:

How wonderful that I now am closer to identifying my mystery family! I received a clue on another posting leading me to a photo identifying my soldier: https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=41682#41682 My mystery solder's name is W. Struś. Does anyone have this name in their tree?

Update 11/21/2019: A very kind person shared some information with me on my other forum posting: https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=40728#40728 - We believe that this soldier is Wilhelm Struś. He was found on a family tree at Geni.com. Wilhelm's wife was Zofia Wawro and this is a clue that brings me closer to the possibility that Zofia is my ancestor. The photos I have are from my gg-uncle Frank's visit to Poland in 1930. Frank's mother's family name was Wawro. I sent a message to the tree owner at Geni - fingers crossed!

Update 6/21/2020: A Struś cousin found my posting and contacted me! I hope we can uncover some clues to fill out my family tree! A new photo is posted on this forum page: https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=9669

W.Strus?.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  306.26 KB

W.Strus?.jpg

jeffcdo

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:29 pm      Post subject:

I'm current researching the surname Pores in Rzeszów. The beginnings of this thread are fully 12 years old now, I'm wondering if Mike Burger's site at http://www.mikeburger.com/rzeszow.html - which seems to be down currently - might have been mirrored anywhere?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: