PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:30 pm      Post subject: surname Malkuch

My family was from the area around Zakopane and Miedzyczerwone. Does anyone have any info on families with surname Malkuch in those areas?
Tina Ellis

Replies: 74

Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:32 pm      Post subject: Malkuch

In 1990, there was a surname study done by Professor Kazimierz Rymut. Although there were errors made in this report, I have found it to be helpful in most cases identifying where there may still be family.

The name Malkuch was found. Note that the l has a diacritical mark on the letter "L". It is a slash marked. This tells you it has the sound of a soft "W" in English. In Polish, the "W" is pronounced as a "V" in English.

There were 29 people with this name. These are the provinces and how many were found in them:

6 - Katowickie
7 - Kieleckie
15 - Nowosadeckie
1 - Piotrkowskie

Zakopane was in the province of Nowosadeckie, powiat (county) of Tatrzanski. Today it is in the province of Malopolskie. It is close to the Slovakian border. As you can see that was where most of the people with this surname were living in 1990. All of Europe has very strict privacy laws. In Poland, they do not list the addresses for people who live in villages. In the cities, they only list the street name.

I didn't find the exact name of a place named midezyczerwone. However, there is a place called Czerwienne, which has also been called Miedzyczerwienne in Malopolskie province, nowotarski powiat, gmina of Czarny Dunajec.

The only BMD records online that I know about are for the year of 1868 for Zakopane. They are indexed in the LDS Catalog at familysearch.org. There has been a Catholic church there since the 14th century. It is known as NMP Matki Zbawiciela. So you have a choice of hoping the records were not destroyed in any war. You can hire a professional researcher or write to the church. It is recommended that letters to churches are written in Polish. Note: Records before 1808 were mostly likely written in Latin. After that depending on who the rulers were, they could be written in Polish or Russian. PolishOrigins has a good team of professional researchers. I have never heard of any complaints on them. I think they still offer tour guides for those you visit they ancestral homeland.

Hope this helps you some.

Tina Ellis
Send e-mail
robertm

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:32 am      Post subject: Malkuch

Thank you so much for your response. This is helpful.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:05 am      Post subject: Re: surname Malkuch

robertm wrote:
My family was from the area around Zakopane and Miedzyczerwone. Does anyone have any info on families with surname Malkuch in those areas?

Robert,

Miedzyczerwone did exist. It was a very small settlement between Czerwienne and Sierockie SSW of Nowy Targ. I once read that there were copper mines in the Tatra mountains. That's where the name of the settlement Miedzyczerwone = "red copper" most likely came from.

I got a Chicago church marriage record of July 4, 1910 (St. John Cantius Church) for a relative of mine: Jozef Szczurek from Miedzyczerwone, pow. Nowy Targ, Galicia, son of Mateja Szczurek and Katarzyna Karpiel, baptized June 1885 in Czarny Dunajec, Dyec. Krakow, married Bryjak, Agnieszka of Dlugopole, pow. Nowy Targ, Galicia, daughter of Jan Bryjak and Katarzyna Cholewa, baptized 1888 in Ludzmierz, Dyec. Krakow.
robertm

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:11 am      Post subject: Malkuch surname

Ute. Thank you. It’s helpful to pinpoint the location of my grandfather’s home. He arrived in the US in 1900. Died 1920 in a mine cave-in, central Pennsylvania.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:54 am      Post subject: Re: Malkuch surname

robertm wrote:
Ute. Thank you. It’s helpful to pinpoint the location of my grandfather’s home. He arrived in the US in 1900. Died 1920 in a mine cave-in, central Pennsylvania.

Robert, This is very close to where your grandfather came from - Bachledówka. Very beautiful - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qliXuKAaeXI&fbclid=IwAR2kcbTDHsT4ZN_aFojp6VNQmo_M1OAU_LvvLLiTDHylQPN2yW6xNmYguwc
I'm wishing you and your family a New Year filled with happiness, health, peace of mind, and love!
robertm

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:02 pm      Post subject: Ute

Thanks so much for the video. I visited that area in 1995. It’s very beautiful and the church interiors certainly demonstrate the skill of the local carpenters.
robertm

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:03 pm      Post subject: Ute

Ute. I also wish you a very happy New year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: