PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 114

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:42 pm      Post subject: Podjazd

Podjazd was my paternal family's name before they went to America.

They were Jewish and I have seen fewer than 80 people with this name in my extensive research, all living in Ciechanow or nearby, between the years of 1800 and 1942.

Several Podjazds emigrated to Chicago between 1890 and 1923, including my great grandfather. All of these changed their name to Marcus (my last name) once they got to the US.

Podjazd (also spelled Podiazd) is a strange surname. It means "driveway" in Polish. When I have asked Polish people about it, they were not convinced it was actually a name (it definitely was!).

Two questions I'm trying to figure out:

1. How did they get such a name? Did Podjazd mean something different in 1800?

2. Are there any Podjazds still around today? In Poland, or perhaps Israel or France?

I have not found any in the US. I don't have access to any phonebooks or other directories for Poland or Israel.

cheers,
John
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:25 am      Post subject:

John,

Indeed this is a rare surname.
I searched in the several Sources and the only information that I found was about the surnames Podjaski, Podjecki coming from the place name: Podjazy, near Suleczyno.

It might be coming from the other place name. In the old Poland there was also the nobility foray law (in the old Polish "zajazd" "podjazd"). I am not the historian, but I think that it also might come from this word.

I checked the contemporary surnames distribution map: https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/ (from 2002) however there is no data about Podjazd surname.
Visit poster's website
neshar

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:35 pm      Post subject: A fellow Marcus!

Hi John!
My name is Nesha Ruther and my great grandmother's maiden name was also Podjazd and was changed to Marcus at Ellis Island. She too immigrated to Chicago from Ciechanow. She was one of six children to David Podjazd who immigrated first but was killed in 1919 race riots on the South Side of Chicago. I am going to Poland in a few weeks to conduct further research on what seems like our mutual family's history. I woud love to hear about your research and what you have found.
Hope to hear from you soon,
Nesha
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:23 pm      Post subject:

https://lastnames.myheritage.com/last-name/podjazd?var=partners&tr_account=647-341-0392&utm_source=ppc_google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=mh_search_ca_en_des_mul_exact_lastnames&tr_ad_group=adgroup11&tr_brand=&keyword=&tr_size=&tr_camp_id=1079855402&tr_ag_id=55613137347&tr_network=g&tr_keyword=podjazd&tr_placement=&tr_matchtype=e&tr_position=2o1&tr_creative=255717386557&tr_device=c&tr_device_model=&tr_extension_id=&tr_target_id=kwd-399576197499&tr_location=9001067&tr_placement_target=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Mav7cvc3wIVCA9pCh3r-wvgEAMYASAAEgJJZ_D_BwE
Quote:

Discover the story behind Podjazd surname
Historical records offer an unusual window into your family's past. Learn more about the Podjazd family, where they lived and what they did for a living. Search for birth records, death certificates, and immigration data, among other information in historical collections. Find the names and birth dates of Podjazd family members, different addresses of residence, family members' occupations as well as death and burial information.
We found 182 records for Podjazd last name
162 Family Trees
11 Birth, Marriage & Death
7 Photos
3 Immigration & Travel

subscription required to view.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: