PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 972

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:44 pm      Post subject: Przemyśl - old photos of bridges in Przemyśl

Do you have ancestors from Przemyśl?

I found a photo in an old family album of a woman sitting near a river with 2 bridges in the background - from a trip my great-uncle Frank Ferenc took in 1930 when he went back to visit Poland. I have several photos the woman in this photo and other people that I believe are family, but I cannot identify them. My only clue was a group photo with Ressow written across the top, (also posted below) so I was concentrating on the town Rzeszów. If you are curious, you see more photos and can read my Rzeszów post here:
https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=674&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It took me many hours of searching but I think I finally identified the location of this photo as Przemyśl. I found several old postcards at: http://www.przemysl.ap.gov.pl/art,161,przemysl-na-starej-pocztowce-ze-zbiorow-archiwum-panstwowego-w-przemyslu

Now I wonder if other families took photos here - it looks like a good place for a picnic. Does anyone have photos taken in this spot in Przemysl that you would like to share?

Bridge compare.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  749.11 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Bridge compare.png

ference_photo_album0017__copy_2_416.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  344.68 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

ference_photo_album0017__copy_2_416.jpg

Sophia

Replies: 346

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:01 am      Post subject:

Hi Shellie,
I read your earlier post on this with quite some interest. It is amazing, how close of a match you have found between the postcard of Przemyśl and your old photo. Wow! You may have found it. I see that today, the railroad is two tracks on a single bridge, but that does not mean that it might not have been two individual bridges back when your photo was taken. Maybe if you have access to Google Earth you can see what it looks like today even better than what I am seeing on Google maps.
By the way, the handwriting on the photo of the family does say "Rzeszow." The way the Z's are written might not look quite like Z's to you but I do see them as such.
Best,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Poland and its people in old photographs and postcards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: