PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:43 am      Post subject: Surname Lankiewicz & variations

Hello, I am looking for any information that can be provided on the surname Lankiewicz. I have seen the following variations in my research to date - Lenkiewicz, Lenkeowicz, Linkiwicz and Linkevich. I have seen mention of the following areas Ciemniewko, Mlawa and Nowa Ruda. I thank you in advance for any assistance you may provide.

In Gratitude
Tricia Lankiewicz
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:45 pm      Post subject: Re: Surname Lankiewicz & variations

plankiewicz69 wrote:
Hello, I am looking for any information that can be provided on the surname Lankiewicz. I have seen the following variations in my research to date - Lenkiewicz, Lenkeowicz, Linkiwicz and Linkevich. I have seen mention of the following areas Ciemniewko, Mlawa and Nowa Ruda. I thank you in advance for any assistance you may provide.

In Gratitude
Tricia Lankiewicz

Hi Tricia,

On the same site for which Gilberto sent you a link there are quite a few individuals listed with the surnames Lankiewicz and Lenkiewicz and some are from the parishes of Mława and Ciemniewko but possibly not for your time frame based on Antoni’s 1871-73 birth. Speaking of whom...The parents of the Antoni you found are Maryan Kłośinski & Balbina (English: Vivian) née Borowska. Their names appear in the scan of the original record. You can view the original record by clicking the last button in the line (SKAN). You are correct that ordinarily it would make no sense to have a birth without the names of the parents (or of the mother alone for an illegitimate child). Possible reasons why that info is not included in the index could be that the volunteer doing the indexing felt the link to the record was sufficient, or the volunteer was working from an index within the birth register, or they didn’t want to deal with a record in Russian (Cyrillic script), etc.

For future reference...Records from the Russian Partition were in Polish from 1808 until 1868. From 1868 until after WWI the records were in Russian. After WWI the vital records again are in Polish. The switch in 1868 from Polish to Russian was partly a punishment imposed by the Czarist government for the insurrections which began in January of 1863 and continued until April of 1864. The year 1868 is a handy point of reference to determine the language of a record if you cannot read Polish or Russian.

Back to Lankiewicz & Lenkiewicz...Many Polish peasants in the 19th Century were illiterate. Surnames were written based upon what the record keeper heard. If one does not enunciate clearly, Lan and Len can be mistaken one for the other. The other variants you mentioned, Linkeowicz and Linkevich are renderings by a record keeper of what he/she thought was said. As Gilberto mentioned, the letter y does not follow the letter k in Polish. Here we have another example of a vowel which does not follow the letter k. The letter e cannot follow the letter k. If it needs to be there the letter i must be inserted between the k and the e.

You listed Mława as a parish of interest. You will not find births for that parish indexed on Geneteka after 1864. The indexed births cover the years 1626-1864. In order to find births post 1864 you need to go to plan B or plan C. Family Search has records from that parish after 1868 available online. Here is a link: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/434984?availability=Family%20History%20Library
Why are these records on Family Search but not on Geneteka? The records on Geneteka are civil transcripts which are found in the Polish National Archives. The post 1868 records on Family Search are housed in the Archives of the Diocese of Płock. The format will be different (Columnar) and the language will be either Latin or Polish. Plan B requires more work since the records are not indexed, which means that it will be necessary to search through the scans for the appropriate time period looking for the record you need. Walls are much overrated and walls made of brick or concrete or whatever can be circumvented—you just need to find another point of entry.

Wishing you success,

Dave
plankiewicz69

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:09 pm      Post subject:

Dave,

Thank you so much for your input. Learning the vowel placements and what is not allowed is helping make sense and yes, I can definitely see where many of the inconsistencies could happen because of who was transcribing at the time. The same goes for all the different dates of births that I am finding for everyone on all sides of my family! If I am not completely insane by the time I am finished with all of this it will be a miracle LOL! I wish I could read Russian and Polish. It would help a lot. I have a document from my Mother's side that I feel is a record of my Grandfather's birth that could shed some light on his parents names in Russia and possibly another family member or 2. I just need to find a way to get it translated. It was awesome that I was able to get the Polish birth certificate I found translated on this site. It wasn't part of my tree after-all but at least I can stop wondering. I appreciate how helpful everyone has been here.

Warmest regards
Tricia
Send e-mail
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:49 pm      Post subject:

plankiewicz69 wrote:
Dave,

Thank you so much for your input. Learning the vowel placements and what is not allowed is helping make sense and yes, I can definitely see where many of the inconsistencies could happen because of who was transcribing at the time. The same goes for all the different dates of births that I am finding for everyone on all sides of my family! If I am not completely insane by the time I am finished with all of this it will be a miracle LOL! I wish I could read Russian and Polish. It would help a lot. I have a document from my Mother's side that I feel is a record of my Grandfather's birth that could shed some light on his parents names in Russia and possibly another family member or 2. I just need to find a way to get it translated. It was awesome that I was able to get the Polish birth certificate I found translated on this site. It wasn't part of my tree after-all but at least I can stop wondering. I appreciate how helpful everyone has been here.

Warmest regards
Tricia

Hi,
Help at the tip of your fingers in https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=3525
Gilberto
Send e-mail
plankiewicz69

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:15 pm      Post subject:

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I posted my document already! I will also be posting a new one to the Polish translation post as well.Very Happy
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: