PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
German records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 93, 94, 95  Next
Author

Replies: 67

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:40 pm      Post subject: German Translation#2

Michael,
Awesome!
Thank you so much,
louie
Send e-mail
Louie

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:08 pm      Post subject: German Translation

This is all I was able to accomplish after more than 3 hours of labor. I am beginning a working dictionary of all the words used in these death/funeral records.

d. M. Watolik 17 Jan 1777.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.37 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

d. M. Watolik 17 Jan 1777.jpg

Send e-mail
Kmichael8

Replies: 543

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:31 am      Post subject: Re: German Translation

Louie wrote:
This is all I was able to accomplish after more than 3 hours of labor. I am beginning a working dictionary of all the words used in these death/funeral records.

Louie,

As you are working hard on these documents, it might help to look at the structure of death entries in a little more detail. Often you’ll find three groups of information:

The first group is about the burial. A common wording was: “den [date] ist begraben worden” or “wurde begraben”, i.e. on [date] was buried. The date was often written in words and figures. In this case, I read the month as “Junii” instead of “Januar”. Please check with the other entries on that page. Sometimes you’ll find additional information on the way or the place of the burial: “in der Stille” (often when a stillborn child was buried] or ”christlich” or “bei der Kirche” like Marianna was buried “bey alhiesiger Kirche” (here, next to the church).

The second group of information is about the deceased: The name, sometimes the status or profession and the residence. A child is often referred to through the father: “[father’s name] Söhnlein” (son) or “Töchterlein” (daughter). A wife is often referred to through the husband: “[husband’s name] (Ehe-)Weib” (wife) or “Wittwe/Wittib” (widow]. A woman’s name often got the suffix “-in” as in your case: Marianna Watolitskin”. As there is no reference to a husband, she might have been unmarried. Marianna’s status is given with the next word, I read it as “Hauszofnerin” (maid). This is followed by her residence “aus (from) Twardawa”.

The third group is about the death: “so den [date and time of day] gestorben” (who died on [date and time of day]). Again the date was often written in words and figures. As a rule of thumb there were two days between death and burial. I read day and time of day as “15th Junii, früh um 7 Uhr” (on June 15th, at 7 o’clock in the morning). Sometimes the cause of death was provided too: In your case it looks like “Congsucht”, but I’ve never heard that word before. Often the last information was the age, sometimes with an additional “circirter” or “ohngefähr” (about): “war alt: 94 [years]".

Best regards,
Michael
Louie

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:32 am      Post subject: German Translation

Michael,
Thank you for your excellent tutorial. So context suggests that the word before Gartner would be an adjective i.e.to modify it, but all I could find was: "Robach", close to "servant". I know that a noun can be used as an adjective, so "servant farmer."? What would that mean when compared to other words that can be translated as "farmer" but carry along different subtle meanings? I spent a lot of time looking for words like "honorable" or something like that. Thank you, again and keep pushing me!
As for what kind of fever that might be the cause of death, I don't even know what letter the word starts with! Playing a German version of Hangman was not helpful.
Cheers,
louie

I know that when I see your translation I will be able to SEE it. I read once that in order to observe, you have to see, and in order to see the brain has to tell you what to look for.

d. Valentin Philippsik.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.38 MB

d. Valentin Philippsik.jpg

Send e-mail
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:55 am      Post subject: Re: German Translation

Louie wrote:
Michael,
Thank you for your excellent tutorial. So context suggests that the word before Gartner would be an adjective i.e.to modify it, but all I could find was: "Robach", close to "servant". I know that a noun can be used as an adjective, so "servant farmer."? What would that mean when compared to other words that can be translated as "farmer" but carry along different subtle meanings? I spent a lot of time looking for words like "honorable" or something like that. Thank you, again and keep pushing me!
As for what kind of fever that might be the cause of death, I don't even know what letter the word starts with! Playing a German version of Hangman was not helpful.
Cheers,
louie

I know that when I see your translation I will be able to SEE it. I read once that in order to observe, you have to see, and in order to see the brain has to tell you what to look for.

Louie,

Let’s start with the easier part: the cause of death was “Kaltes Fieber”, a term which was used for typhus.

The other part is the status or profession. It’s a bit confusing, because the descenders from the words “Kirche” and “begraben” in the upper line kind of overlay the words used for the profession. I read them as “Roboth Gärtner”. “Robot” was used for “Frondienste” or compulsory labor. So Walentin obviously was a “Gärtner” or gardener, in terms of social hierarchy less than a “Bauer” (farmer) and more than a “Häusler” (cottager) and had to do compulsory labor.

Best regards,
Michael
Louie

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:26 am      Post subject: German Translation

This is my last entry until April. I have used up all my five requests.

Cause of Death? What is the word that begins with that huge “2” ? which is repeated from above as cause of death: D__________snucht? Using context confused me here. If Schmidt is a “smith”. i.e. blacksmith( occupation) what is it doing way down here? I know word order doesn’t necessarily have to follow logical structure -- depending on the language.
Thank you,
louie

Paczker.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.37 MB

Paczker.jpg

Send e-mail
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:20 pm      Post subject: Re: German Translation

Louie wrote:
This is my last entry until April. I have used up all my five requests.

Cause of Death? What is the word that begins with that huge “2” ? which is repeated from above as cause of death: D__________snucht? Using context confused me here. If Schmidt is a “smith”. i.e. blacksmith( occupation) what is it doing way down here? I know word order doesn’t necessarily have to follow logical structure -- depending on the language.
Thank you,
louie

Louie,

His status or profession was "Hausmann", another word for "Häusler" or cottager. What looks like a huge "2" is just the beginning of an "a", the word is "an". The cause of death was "an Schwind- und Darmsucht" i.e. of tuberculosis and diarrhea. The first word in the second line is "begraben" or burried.

Best
Michael
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:23 am      Post subject: Please translate Maria Radziminski birth rec

Hello Michael,

I think I may have finally found the birth record for my 2nd great grandmother, Maria Radziminska. I have been searching for years with no luck. On a whim, I decided to check the neighboring parish of Thalhiem - and I found this record. I know they had family and an estate in Wiersbau which is part of the Thalhiem parish. So perhaps they were visiting family when Gottlebe gave birth.

The parents names should read: Michael Radziminski and Gottlebe Bartelawska/Barleczewska (or similar). The birth date of 1820 lines up with Maria's marriage age. My only concern is that the surname of the father in this record looks like Radzanowski instead of Radziminski. I am wondering if these are different people or if the scribe got the name wrong since Skottau (Szkotowo) was their home parish and Frankenau (Fraknowo) was their main home.

I am hoping your translation expertise of the remaining record can help me determine if this is indeed my Maria, Michael, and Gottlebe. It is entry 6 on the page.

Best regards,
Cynthia

1820 Maria Radziminski birth.JPG
 Description:
Maria Radziminska birth
 Filesize:  1.75 MB

1820 Maria Radziminski birth.JPG

Send e-mail
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:54 pm      Post subject: Re: Please translate Maria Radziminski birth rec

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello Michael,

I think I may have finally found the birth record for my 2nd great grandmother, Maria Radziminska. I have been searching for years with no luck. On a whim, I decided to check the neighboring parish of Thalhiem - and I found this record. I know they had family and an estate in Wiersbau which is part of the Thalhiem parish. So perhaps they were visiting family when Gottlebe gave birth.

The parents names should read: Michael Radziminski and Gottlebe Bartelawska/Barleczewska (or similar). The birth date of 1820 lines up with Maria's marriage age. My only concern is that the surname of the father in this record looks like Radzanowski instead of Radziminski. I am wondering if these are different people or if the scribe got the name wrong since Skottau (Szkotowo) was their home parish and Frankenau (Fraknowo) was their main home.

I am hoping your translation expertise of the remaining record can help me determine if this is indeed my Maria, Michael, and Gottlebe. It is entry 6 on the page.

Best regards,
Cynthia

Hello Cynthia,

There is a Michael, a Gottleebe and a Maria in this entry. I read Michael's name as "Radcenowsky" and Gottleebe's maiden name as "Bartahwskin". For my eyes it's different from what you are looking for. I'm not sure about the place named in entry 6, but if you compare it with "Wiersbau" in entries 7 and 8, it also seems to be a different place.

Best regards,
Michael
Kurt1322

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:27 pm      Post subject: German Translations-Pictures

Can someone please help me with translation of old picture backs? I am trying match pics to people in my tree. Any help would be great.

Thank you very much,

Kurt

22-2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.7 MB

22-2.JPG

8-2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.82 MB

8-2.JPG

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:46 am      Post subject: Re: German Translations-Pictures

Kurt1322 wrote:
Can someone please help me with translation of old picture backs? I am trying match pics to people in my tree. Any help would be great.

Thank you very much,

Kurt

Kurt,

8-2: On this photo I would expect four persons: Matt, Jeff, Mrs. Darr and “I”:

Matt und Jeff
Mrs. Darr (the “rr” is unsure). ich
bin lieber fett
was das oberste von
mein Kleid ist ganz dunkel
sieht aber so hell aus auf Bild

Matt and Jeff
Mrs. Darr. I
prefer to be fat.
The very top of my gown is entirely dark
but looks so bright on the photo.

22-2: I am unsure, but for me it looks like “Selwez”.

Best regards,
Michael
Kurt1322

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:46 am      Post subject: German Translations-Pictures

Michael-thank you so much for your help so far. If you could be so kind as to assist again.

Thank you
Kurt

29-2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.54 MB

29-2.JPG

28-2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  950.59 KB

28-2.JPG

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:32 am      Post subject: Re: German Translations-Pictures

Kurt1322 wrote:
Michael-thank you so much for your help so far. If you could be so kind as to assist again.

Thank you
Kurt

Kurt

The first file (29-2) is written without periods and commas. Here is the German version:

Das ist Schwester Else ihre 2 ältesten
Töchter mit ihrem Mann er ist Belgier
und die sind jetzt in Belgien
Ihr erster Mann ist gefallen in diesem
Krieg da hatt sie ein Mädchen von
vor 2 Jahren hatt sie einmal geschrieben
bis jetzt noch nichts wieder von sich
hören lassen

My understanding is:

These are the two oldest daughters of [my] sister Else and her husband. He is Belgian and they are now in Belgium.
Her first husband was killed in action in this war. She has a daughter from him.
Two years ago she wrote. Nothing has been heard from her since.

With the other file (28-2) it is by far more guessing than reading:

Henry Matz
Stanton Matz
D Williamson
Ixxx
Glangen 1922

Hope this helps,
Michael
Kurt1322

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:42 pm      Post subject: German Translations-Pictures

Can someone please help me with this translation?

Thank you,

Kurt

IMG_4875.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.97 MB

IMG_4875.JPG

treich

Replies: 167

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:58 pm      Post subject: Request

Can someone please transcribe the marriage entry of my great-great-great grandparents Paul Treichel and Helen Golke? It is the last entry in the attached.

Annotation 2019-03-28 175728.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  564.4 KB

Annotation 2019-03-28 175728.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 93, 94, 95  Next Page 19 of 95

Jump to: