PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 152, 153, 154 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 35

Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:36 am      Post subject: Marriage Record Translation

Hi,

Would someone be able to assist with translating the attached marriage record from Varniai Lithuania parish?

Thanks,

Dave

V Marriage 1813 @F ePg35 (Feb) Ursula, Felicjan?s Daughter 1 of 2 smaller.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.64 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

V Marriage 1813 @F ePg35 (Feb) Ursula, Felicjan?s Daughter 1 of 2 smaller.png

V Marriage 1813 @F ePg35 (Feb) Ursula, Felicjan?s Daughter 2 of 2 smaller.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.58 MB

V Marriage 1813 @F ePg35 (Feb) Ursula, Felicjan?s Daughter 2 of 2 smaller.png

heatherc27

Replies: 48

Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:42 am      Post subject: Mathias Fierlik and Teresia Cheryng 1806 marriage

Hi,

Could I please have the attached marriage entry translated? As always, thank you in advance!

Mateusz Firlik and Teresia Cheryng 1806 marriage entry.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  283.12 KB

Mateusz Firlik and Teresia Cheryng 1806 marriage entry.PNG

waipepe

Replies: 31

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:12 am      Post subject:

Hi,

could you please translate this marriage record for me. My 4x great grandparents.

Thank you,
Joanna

Nicodem MC copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  388.76 KB

Nicodem MC  copy.jpg

waipepe

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:31 am      Post subject:

Hi,

could please translate this for me as well. Birth record from 1750.
Thank you!
Joanna

Sedek M 1750.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  298.81 KB

Sedek M 1750.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:43 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage Record Translation

David2019 wrote:
Hi,

Would someone be able to assist with translating the attached marriage record from Varniai Lithuania parish?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

The first image you posted (V Marriage 1813 @F ePg35 (Feb) Ursula, Felicjan?s Daughter 1 of 2 smaller.png) is the marriage record and is in Latin. The second image (V Marriage 1813 @F ePg35 (Feb) Ursula, Felicjan?s Daughter 2 of 2 smaller.png ) is in Polish and is an affidavit on behalf of the groom. It is a substitute for the two banns from which a dispensation had been obtained and attests (via the signatures of two witnesses) to his freedom and proper disposition to enter into the marriage with Urszula/Ursula. If you feel that it is significant and worthy of a full translation, please post the doc in the Polish translations section of the forum. Again, I’m not sure of all the geography in Lithuania.

Anyway, here is the translation.

Dave

Translation: On the 23rd day of the month of February in the year of (Our) Lord 1813 I, Tomasz/Thomas (illegible surname), vicar of Varniai, after having examined* the couple beforehand and since no Canonical impediment had been detected and after having obtained a dispensation from two proclamations of the banns from the chancery of Žemaitija under Number 99 on the 21st day of the current month & year and after the third promulgation (of the banns) had been made near the celebration of the marriage, and after having received the mutual consent of both parties, in the presence of the congregation of the church of Varinai, joined together in matrimony and blessed the well-born** Adam Kombar, a parishioner of Poszyl?? from the village of Klibele(?) and the well-born** Urszula/Ursula Giedwiłłowna*** a maiden, a parishioner of Varniai.

Notes: *The priest examined the couple’s knowledge of basic Catholic prayers and Catechism as well as seeking information regarding any possible canonical impediments to the marriage.
**well-born/generosus,a,um: an adjective used to describe the owner of at least one village.
***The suffix -owna designated an unmarried female
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:45 pm      Post subject: Re: Mathias Fierlik and Teresia Cheryng 1806 marriage

heatherc27 wrote:
Hi,

Could I please have the attached marriage entry translated? As always, thank you in advance!

Hi Heather 27,

Please post the name of the parish from which the record comes. This will lessen the time spent on the translation by eliminating the need to devote time to trying to get a handle on the geography involved in the record. Place names are usually entered in the vernacular or in the form of an adjective derived from the vernacular place name. Knowing the parish and the village saves time and effort. The same holds true of surnames—they are in the vernacular rather than in Latin. After you post this information I’ll gladly translate your marriage record.

Thank you.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:46 pm      Post subject:

waipepe wrote:
Hi,

could you please translate this marriage record for me. My 4x great grandparents.

Thank you,
Joanna

Hi Joanna,

Please post the name of the parish from which the record comes and the village where the individual(s) resided. This will lessen the time spent on the translation by eliminating the need to devote time to trying to get a handle on the geography involved in the record. Place names are usually entered in the vernacular or in the form of an adjective derived from the vernacular place name. The same holds true of surnames—they are in the vernacular rather than in Latin. After you post this information I’ll gladly translate your records.

Thanks,

Dave
waipepe

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:18 am      Post subject:

Hi Dave,

could you please translate for me.
Marriage of Nikodem Sedek and Salomea Tatos. Married 1778 in Nowe Brzesko parish, Malopolskie, Poland. I think he was from the nearby Szpitary.

Thank you,
Joanna

Nicodem MC copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  388.76 KB

Nicodem MC  copy.jpg

David2019

Replies: 35

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:42 am      Post subject: Marriage Record Translation - Thanks

Dave,

Thanks for translating the marriage record. Sorry about the polish record. I just assumed it was a continuation (in Latin) of the first record ... I'll look more closely next time.

Thanks again it was helpful,

Dave
Breann

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:44 am      Post subject:

Hello!
Could I please get a translation of this marriage record for my great grandparents - Paul Buda and Katherine Skryzpek? They were in Swilcza, though I’m not sure of the parish name.

901E5269-E9CC-4F35-8C6E-83AE8D96D54D.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  505.09 KB

901E5269-E9CC-4F35-8C6E-83AE8D96D54D.jpeg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:07 pm      Post subject:

Breann wrote:
Hello!
Could I please get a translation of this marriage record for my great grandparents - Paul Buda and Katherine Skryzpek? They were in Swilcza, though I’m not sure of the parish name.

Hi Breann,

Thanks for including the name of the village. That info helps to not waste time on the geography in a record. It is most helpful in early short paragraph records (which are not usually found in records from Galicia aka the Austrian Partition). In the case of the marriage you posted the name of the village and the parish are the same. I did find some additional info on Polish sites which you may find interesting. The parish church was under the patronage of the apostles Saints Simon & Jude.

Here is a link the premier source of info regarding places in Poland in the 19th Century: http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_XI/700
This is a link to the Society of Friends of Świlcza: http://www.swilcza.pl/index.php
Here is a link to the parish website: http://parafiaswilcza.prv.pl/ The church where your ancestors were married was a wooden structure built in 1636. It burned during the night of October 29-30, 1967. The site has images of the old wood church building. My ancestors were not from Galicia and thus I’m no expert on the area. Cheri has a lot of info and perhaps you can learn more from her.

I saw your conversation with Diane and the scribe who entered the marriage record certainly would not win any prizes for penmanship. I’m quite confident that the entry is the marriage of your great grandparents. Their first child, Jadwiga (Polish)/Hedwig (English)/Hedwigis (Latin) was born on December 23, 1901 and was baptized on December 24. Attached is a copy of her birth & baptism record. (I forgot to copy the link.) The spelling of Paweł/Paul’s mother’s maiden name appears as Tront. Such spelling variations occur often. Her sponsors aka godparents were Filip/Philip Macielag and Jadwiga/Hedwig, the wife of Tomasz/Thomas Tront.

Given names in Latin records always appear in their Latin version—a form the individual never used. Attached is a list I compiled of Latin given names in PDF form with their Polish and English translation. Perhaps you may find it useful. Surnames in Latin records always appear in their vernacular form.

The translation of the marriage record follows.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Translation:
The marriage record is entered in the columnar format with major divisions and subdivisions of the columns.

Col. 1: Series =Number (of the marriage for the year):32?
Col. 2: Year at top: Dies et Mensis = Day & Month (of Marriage): 189—should be 1900; November 21
Col. 3: SPONSUS = GROOM
Col. 3a: Numerus Domus = Number of the House: Of the groom: 498; of the bride: 385
Col. 3b: NOMEN = NAME: Paweł Buda, a discharged soldier*, the son of Jakub and of Magdalena née Trąt, born and residing in Świlcza
Col. 3c: Religio = Religion
Col. 3c1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 3d: Aetas = Age: 24
Col. 3e: Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 3f: Viduus = Widower: Blank
Col. 4: SPONSA = BRIDE
Col. 4a: NOMEN = NAME: Katarzyna Skrzypek, the daughter of Franciszek, a gardener**, and of Józefa née Macielag(?), born and residing in Świlcza
Col. 4b: Religio = Religion
Col. 4b1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 4c: Aetas = Age: 21 & 3/4
Col. 4d: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Blank***
Col. 4e: Vidua = Widow: Blank***

Col. 5: TESTES et eorum Conditio = WITNESSES and their status/ condition of life/occupation: Tomasz Tręt, Walenty Tręt, from Świlcza

Final entry: The banns were promulgated on the 21st, 22nd, & 23rd Sundays after Pentecost, November 4, 11, (&) 18; (Next follows info regarding the military unit in which the groom served. The first words are illegible. The legible portion is): of the 10th Artillery Regiment. The father of the bride gave his consent. (Illegible signature) blessed the marriage; the witnesses signed later.

Notes: *He had completed his compulsory military service in the Austrian Army.
**hortulanus/gardener: term used to designate a peasant who owned his cottage with enough land for a garden, but no farm fields.
***The scribe did not indicate whether the bride was a maiden or a widow. Undoubtedly she was a maiden.

11.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  241.25 KB

11.jpg

GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Filesize:  66.05 KB
 Downloaded:  770 Time(s)

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:20 pm      Post subject:

waipepe wrote:
Hi Dave,

could you please translate for me.
Marriage of Nikodem Sedek and Salomea Tatos. Married 1778 in Nowe Brzesko parish, Malopolskie, Poland. I think he was from the nearby Szpitary.

Thank you,
Joanna

Hi Joanna,

Thanks for posting the geographical info. Sorry that I didn’t translate the records earlier but I just saw your post with the geographical info today. Here are the translations. I hope that you find them useful.

Dave

Translation of Marriage Record:
On the 23rs day of the same month (The name of the month must appear in an earlier record.) I, the same as above, joined in legitimately contracted marriage the single young individuals Nikodem Sedek and Salomea Tatosowna* from the village of Szpitari (Szpitary). The witnesses were Bartłomiej Kempta(?) and Wawrzyniec Trela.

Translation of Baptismal Record:
On the 30th day of January I, as above, baptized Błażej, the son of the legitimate marriage of Stanisław and Urszula Sedek/Sędek. The sponsors were Katarzyna Gatdyk(?) (and) Jakub Kura de Szpitary.
Breann

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:00 pm      Post subject:

Dave - I can not begin to thank you enough for your help! I’ve already learned so much and I can’t wait to go and read more from the resources you provided! Thank you Thank you Thank you!
Poland-Family-Research

Replies: 47

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:37 am      Post subject: Latin

Hi. I have two pre-1808 latin records that I would appreciate a translation.

1. The first is the baptism for twins with the last name Zaparucha from 1780 (I believe). One is Paul, but I can't determine the other. Also, their mother is Catherine, but I can't interpret the father's name. Perhaps someone who is familiar with Latin might have better luck.

2. The marriage for Roch Piotrowski and Agnes Surdynski from 1801. This is my first marriage record written in Latin, so I'm not familiar with the format to even begin trying to figure things out.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Poland-Family-Research on Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:33 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin

Poland-Family-Research wrote:
Hi. I have two pre-1808 latin records that I would appreciate a translation.

1. The first is the baptism for twins with the last name Zaparucha from 1780 (I believe). One is Paul, but I can't determine the other. Also, their mother is Catherine, but I can't interpret the father's name. Perhaps someone who is familiar with Latin might have better luck.

2. The marriage for Roch Piotrowski and Agnes Surdynski from 1801. This is my first marriage record written in Latin, so I'm not familiar with the format to even begin trying to figure things out.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Please post the name of the parish from which the records come. This will lessen the time spent on the translation by eliminating the need to devote time to trying to get a handle on the geography involved in the records. Place names are usually entered in the vernacular or in the form of an adjective derived from the vernacular place name. Knowing the parish and the village saves time and effort. The same holds true of surnames—they are in the vernacular rather than in Latin. After you post this information I’ll gladly translate your records.

Thank you.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 152, 153, 154 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 153 of 274

Jump to: