PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:25 pm      Post subject: Ficner vs Fitzner

I am trying to learn more about my great grandmother, Martha Ficner Szchowski. She was born around 1889, maybe near Krowice? Her father was Walenty Ficner and her mother Jozefa Kryzanowska.

Walenty's father may have been Zygmunt Fitzner from Leipzig, Germany. This is just word of mouth.

I have no paper record. The first thing I have is the ship manifest from 1908 where Martha was leaving for the U.S. Her name appears as Martha Fitzner.

Some documents appear as Ficner and others Fitzner. I have been told different thigs, including it may have been Fitzner and then changed to Ficner.

Does anyone have any information? I have not had much luck in the archives in Poland or Germany. Any information on these surnames?
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:55 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

I think I found the 1908 passenger list for Marta (see attached). She was born in Brzezno (see info below). Her father is listed as Walenty Fitzner living in Natalia, Gmina Wladyslowow, Powiat Kalisz. She was headed to her brother in law living in Leavenworth Kansas.

Brzeźno [ˈbʐɛʑnɔ] is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Krzymów, within Konin County, Greater Poland Voivodeship, in west-central Poland.[1] It lies approximately 10 kilometres (6 mi) west of Krzymów, 3 km (2 mi) south-east of Konin, and 97 km (60 mi) east of the regional capital Poznań.

Natalia [naˈtalja] is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Władysławów, within Turek County, Greater Poland Voivodeship, in west-central Poland.[1] It lies approximately 6 kilometres (4 mi) north of Władysławów, 15 km (9 mi) north of Turek, and 111 km (69 mi) east of the regional capital Poznań

Perhaps others in the forum can point you to the parish records for Brzeźno in Gmina Krzymów. They could be either in the Roman Catholic or the Evangelical Church. I suggest looking in both places.

I hope this helps,
Cynthia

B8770B7D-FB18-4C4B-A0CB-B3384BA9632B.jpeg
 Description:
Passenger list page 2
 Filesize:  712.3 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

B8770B7D-FB18-4C4B-A0CB-B3384BA9632B.jpeg

52F688CE-02E1-4A84-9507-D142F94F5330.jpeg
 Description:
Passenger list page 1
 Filesize:  775.52 KB

52F688CE-02E1-4A84-9507-D142F94F5330.jpeg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:43 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello,

I think I found the 1908 passenger list for Marta (see attached). She was born in Brzezno (see info below). Her father is listed as Walenty Fitzner living in Natalia, Gmina Wladyslowow, Powiat Kalisz. She was headed to her brother in law living in Leavenworth Kansas.

Brzeźno [ˈbʐɛʑnɔ] is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Krzymów, within Konin County, Greater Poland Voivodeship, in west-central Poland.[1] It lies approximately 10 kilometres (6 mi) west of Krzymów, 3 km (2 mi) south-east of Konin, and 97 km (60 mi) east of the regional capital Poznań.

Natalia [naˈtalja] is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Władysławów, within Turek County, Greater Poland Voivodeship, in west-central Poland.[1] It lies approximately 6 kilometres (4 mi) north of Władysławów, 15 km (9 mi) north of Turek, and 111 km (69 mi) east of the regional capital Poznań

Perhaps others in the forum can point you to the parish records for Brzeźno in Gmina Krzymów. They could be either in the Roman Catholic or the Evangelical Church. I suggest looking in both places.

I hope this helps,
Cynthia

Hi,

Both the Roman Catholic and Evangelical (Protestant) parishes for the village and the folwark were in Konin (cf. attachment). The attached map shows the location of Konin, Brzeźno, & Natalia.
Wishing you success,
Dave

Screenshot_2019-05-13 Digital Library of Wielkopolska.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.19 KB
 Viewed:  3094 Time(s)

Screenshot_2019-05-13 Digital Library of Wielkopolska.png

Capture3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.77 KB

Capture3.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: