PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:46 pm      Post subject: Confusion with double surnames...

Hello,

While looking through the online greek catholic civil registry records from Jablonica Polska, there are a notable amount of people listed with more than one surname, and it is confusing to me because I do not know what it means entirely.

Here are some examples of people with double surnames throughout the records:

Jan Zylka Wasiow
Jan Zylka Wojtowicz
Jan Senczyk Nehir
Katarzyna Hryniczka Polna
Anna Derenka Winiarka
Jan Bajko Bobola

The most confusing part of this is that some of the extra surnames are used as individual surnames for other families as well, for example; "Zylka Wojtowicz", some people are simply noted with the surname Zylka, and others are simply noted with the surname Wojtowicz, so the combination of these two surnames into a single surname makes it more confusing; the same goes for Senczyk Nehir, some people only have the surname Nehir and others only have the surname Senczyk.

I assume the two words/surnames say what they do for a living with more detail as opposed to one surname?
If anyone could help explain what these extra surnames mean, what they signified, or what their purpose was I would be very grateful.
Jan Bajko Bobola sticks out to me the most because Bajko is my surname.

Thank you.

Capture.PNG
 Description:
Image example of a double surname in the records, this particular one is recording Jan Bajko Bobola's death.
 Filesize:  368.43 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 494

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:12 pm      Post subject:

Hi Mike,
I'm not sure, but I think one of the "surnames" could be a nickname, or a name that the person was called. William Hoffman in "Polish Surnames: Origins and Meanings" writes: So many people had the same first name that the use of by-names or nicknames was common long before surnames were established.

My ancestors had nicknames. I've read that it was common throughout Poland.

Cheri
MikeBayko

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:32 pm      Post subject:

@Cheri

Thanks for the info!
Thats an interesting idea, I did not consider that possibility.
I would be willing to bet that if one was a nickname it might be Wasiow in Zylka-Wasiow because his first name was Jan, which was already very common, and I don't recall seeing any other Wasiows in the records from Jablonica Polska.
Bobola might be another nickname, but I know that it was used as a surname throughout Poland so I'm not entirely sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: