PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:29 am      Post subject: Re: Assistance with birth records

Loufamtree wrote:
Hello -

Attached are birth records for two sisters. I don't need a full translation of the records, but would like to know the name and age of the children's mother. Thank you!

Loufamtree

Hi,

These records are in Russian. Please post them in Russian Records Translations for a better response.

Wishing you success,

Dave
Loufamtree

Replies: 47

Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:00 am      Post subject:

Thanks - I re-submitted to the Russian section
Mrudnik

Replies: 61

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:05 am      Post subject: Death Record

Hello Dave,

I have a Death record that I need some help in translating. As always, thank you for your assistance.

A Dominski Death 1757.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  277.18 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

A Dominski Death 1757.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:25 pm      Post subject: Re: Death Record

Mrudnik wrote:
Hello Dave,

I have a Death record that I need some help in translating. As always, thank you for your assistance.

Hi Mike,

There are three entries on the page. Yours is the third. Here it is. I hope it helps you.

Dave

Biechowo
Anno 1757 die 7ma Februarij mortuus est Antonius Domanski senex sacramentis munitus et sepultus ubi solent orare pauperes in ipso aditu Templi*.

Biechowo
Antoni Domanski, an old man, having been strengthened by the sacraments, died on the seventh day of February in the year 1757 and was buried where the poor/paupers are accustomed to pray in the very entrance of the Temple/Church*.

Note: Templum: Temple/Church: The priest used the word Templum for the physical building rather than the word ecclesia. This was very proper. The word ecclesia can and does mean “church” and is used for the physical structure. However, the primary meaning of ecclesia is the church in the sense of the people/congregation.
Mrudnik

Post Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:26 pm      Post subject: Re: Death Record

dnowicki wrote:
Mrudnik wrote:
Hello Dave,

Hi Mike,

There are three entries on the page. Yours is the third. Here it is. I hope it helps you.

Dave

Biechowo
Anno 1757 die 7ma Februarij mortuus est Antonius Domanski senex sacramentis munitus et sepultus ubi solent orare pauperes in ipso aditu Templi*.

Biechowo
Antoni Domanski, an old man, having been strengthened by the sacraments, died on the seventh day of February in the year 1757 and was buried where the poor/paupers are accustomed to pray in the very entrance of the Temple/Church*.

Note: Templum: Temple/Church: The priest used the word Templum for the physical building rather than the word ecclesia. This was very proper. The word ecclesia can and does mean “church” and is used for the physical structure. However, the primary meaning of ecclesia is the church in the sense of the people/congregation.
Mrudnik

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:51 am      Post subject: Re: Death Record

Thank You Dave.

As always you are a great help.

Mike

Mrudnik wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
Mrudnik wrote:
Hello Dave,

Hi Mike,

Dave

Biechowo

Biechowo

Kim K

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:47 pm      Post subject: Re: Fishing out Latin

dnowicki wrote:

In response to the Cwikla record I used the adage of giving a person a fish vs. teaching the person to fish. To give you another fish would do you a grave injustice by denying you the satisfaction which comes from a DIY translation as is described in the forum guidelines for translations. https://polishorigins.com/records-translations-guidelines/ Instead of the proverbial fish here is a fishing lesson.

No one expects you to be a solitary fisherman. Should you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Wishing you happy & successful fishing,

Dave

Is there a better genealogical Latin list out there on the web? For me the FamilySearch list (and others) has been repeatedly unhelpful and not just because of handwriting issues. It seems to be utterly missing basic terms, adjectives and abbreviations that we come across in our region's records.

My most recent failure is trying to decipher a death record which notes that the deceased died outside of the family parish while in the (presumably) Austrian/A-H army. Even the non-abbreviated words saying something about how the church/family was notified (I think) aren't coming to light with lists and G-translate.

At that, while causes of death aren't necessarily critical information in searches, I am also sorely missing that particular old Latin reference which is now a dead link.

Or should we just start our own master list somewhere?
-Kim
may28991

Replies: 68

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:08 am      Post subject: Re: Translation Please

marcelproust wrote:
may28991 wrote:
This record, I think it is Latin and comes from St. Josef Church inTarnawiec, Poland.

Thank you in advance,
Larry

please put Your request here: https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=1759
Julien91

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:12 am      Post subject: Help with Birth and Baptism certificate

Hello,

In the attached Birth and Baptism certificate, I think I've understand most of it, but I would be thankful if anyone can confirm my understanding is correct, especially with the surnames. Fills and correction would be greatly appreciated too !

Diocesis (Diocese): Premyslesis => Przemyśl
Palatinatus (Voivodeship): Leopolensis => Lwów (today Lviv, Ukraine)
Decanatus (Dekanat): Nizancovensis => Niżankowice (today Nyzhankovychi, Ukraine)
Parochia (Parish): Miżynei => Miżyniec (today Mizhenets', Ukraine)

Nativitatis (Birth): 6 August 1906
Baptismi (Baptism): 8 August 1906
Confirm. : 8 August 1906
Numerus Domus (House Number): 98
Nomen (Name of person baptized): Joannes => Jan
Religio (Religion): Gr. ???? => Greek Catholic ??
Sexus (Gender): Puer => Boy
Thori (Bed): Legitimi => Legitimate
Pater (Father): Nicolaus Piszko filius (son of) Andreae (Andrzej) and Eudocia (Eudocia) natae (born) Piastuk, agricolae
Mater (Mother): Barbara filie (daughter of) Michaleis (Michał) Fecatczyk and Tatiannae (Tacjana ?) natae (born) Lew???, agricolae
Patrini et eorum Conditio (Sponsors and their State of Life/Occupation): ????????

Thanks in advance ! Smile

IMG_20190721_0001r.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.06 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

IMG_20190721_0001r.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:08 am      Post subject: Re: Help with Birth and Baptism certificate

Julien91 wrote:
Hello,

In the attached Birth and Baptism certificate, I think I've understand most of it, but I would be thankful if anyone can confirm my understanding is correct, especially with the surnames. Fills and correction would be greatly appreciated too !

Diocesis (Diocese): Premyslesis => Przemyśl
Palatinatus (Voivodeship): Leopolensis => Lwów (today Lviv, Ukraine)
Decanatus (Dekanat): Nizancovensis => Niżankowice (today Nyzhankovychi, Ukraine)
Parochia (Parish): Miżynei => Miżyniec (today Mizhenets', Ukraine)

Nativitatis (Birth): 6 August 1906
Baptismi (Baptism): 8 August 1906
Confirm. : 8 August 1906
Numerus Domus (House Number): 98
Nomen (Name of person baptized): Joannes => Jan
Religio (Religion): Gr. ???? => Greek Catholic ??
Sexus (Gender): Puer => Boy
Thori (Bed): Legitimi => Legitimate
Pater (Father): Nicolaus Piszko filius (son of) Andreae (Andrzej) and Eudocia (Eudocia) natae (born) Piastuk, agricolae
Mater (Mother): Barbara filie (daughter of) Michaleis (Michał) Fecatczyk and Tatiannae (Tacjana ?) natae (born) Lew???, agricolae
Patrini et eorum Conditio (Sponsors and their State of Life/Occupation): ????????

Thanks in advance ! Smile

Hi Julien 91,

Here are additions to your translation of the certificate. The spellings of given names are as they were at the time of Jan’s birth e.g. Tatiannae = Tacyanna. Current Polish spelling would be Tacjanna. Everything else you wrote is correct.

Top of Certificate:
Left Side: The Republic of Poland
Województwo (Province):
Powiat (County):
Center: Number (of certificate issued): 21
Right Side: Diocese:
Dekenat (Deanery):
Parish:

Certificate of birth and of baptism

From the parish office of Miżyniec of the Church of Saint (illegible) it is made known and attested that in the registers of this church Volume IV, Page 9 is found the following:

Col. 1: Year, month, and day of birth August 6 , of Baptism, and of Confirmation: August 9, 1906
In the year of Our Lord One Thousand Nine Hundred Six

Col. 2: House Number:
Col. 3: NAME:
Col. 4: Religion: Gr. Cath. = Greek Catholic
Col. 5: Sex/Gender:
Col 6: The (marital) bed:

Col. 7: PARENTS AND(THEIR) STATUS/OCCUPATION/CONDITION: Nicolaus = Mikołaj; Eudocia = Eudoksya Agricolae = farmers Tatiannae = Tacyanna Łewka = Łew

Col 8: SPONSORS AND (THEIR) STATUS/OCCUPATION/CONDITION: Saphronius (Safroniusz) Dnsyterko; Maria, uxor Demetrii Cepko = Marya, the wife of Dymitir Cepko

Bottom of entry: Baptisavit et confirmavit Teodorus Diakro(?) cooperator = Teodor Diakro(?), the assistant priest baptized and confirmed (him).

Which Certificate I sign with my own had and affirm with the seal of the parish church.

The 4th day of March in the Year of Our Lord 1929.

Signature of the pastor with the parish seal

Wishing you success,

Dave
Julien91

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:22 am      Post subject:

Thanks a lot Dave ! Smile

I'm just a bit confused with Tacyanna surname : is it Łewka or just Łew ?
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:17 pm      Post subject:

Julien91 wrote:
Thanks a lot Dave ! Smile

I'm just a bit confused with Tacyanna surname : is it Łewka or just Łew ?

Hi Julien,

I cannot tell you with certitude which form of the surname is correct. My expertise is in Latin and, of course, surnames are entered in the vernacular in Latin church records. Łew was my best guess. I did not find either version of the surname in Hoffman’s Polish Surnames: Origins and Meanings. I did find the surname Lew but not Lewka. I based my guess on the assumption that Łewka was the feminine form of Łew, however it is very possible that the assumption was wrong. Others on the forum are much more qualified than I to give you a better answer. If my good friend Elżbieta, who is excellent at determining surname forms, should happen to see this post I would recommend that you follow her opinion. Or perhaps another member of the forum could provide you with some worthwhile guidance.

Sorry that I can’t be of more help on the surname issue.

Wishing you success,

Dave
Stanislaw

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:33 am      Post subject: Latin document from 14th century

Dear Dave. The text of this document from 1373 mentions my likely ancestor, Walter Talik. Would you be so kind and willing to translate this document? I know that you have a lot of knowledge about Latin, and here we can deal with Latin a bit incorrect or not classical, I suppose. Unfortunately, I do not have the original scan of this document, only its transcription.

Codex diplomaticus et epistolaris Maraviae

Send e-mail
Natalia

Replies: 31

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:18 pm      Post subject: Re: Help with Birth and Baptism certificate

Julien91 wrote:
Hello,

Hello, Julien.

The names and surnames mentioned in this record are not Polish, but Rusyn/Ukrainian. Surnames ending with -ko, -uk, -in are typical for Rusyns and Ukrainians, which live in Miżyniec region.

In this record there are the Rusyn/Ukrainian surnames written in Polish forms: Dmyterko (Дмитерко), Łewko (Левко), Fecatczyn (Фецатчин), Piastuk (Пястук), Piszko (Пишко), Cepko (Цепко).

And the names appearing in the document are: Tatiana (Татьяна in Rusyn language or Тетяна in Ukrainian language), Ivan, not Jan (Иван or Іван), Sofroniy (Софронiй), Maria (Мария or Марiя), Evdokiya (Евдокия or Євдокiя), Varvara (Варвара), Mikhail (Михаил in Rusyn language or Михайло in Ukrainian), Andriy (Андрiй), Dmytro (Дмитро), Nikolay (Николай or Микола).

Natalia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:06 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin document from 14th century

Stanislaw wrote:
Dear Dave. The text of this document from 1373 mentions my likely ancestor, Walter Talik. Would you be so kind and willing to translate this document? I know that you have a lot of knowledge about Latin, and here we can deal with Latin a bit incorrect or not classical, I suppose. Unfortunately, I do not have the original scan of this document, only its transcription.

Codex diplomaticus et epistolaris Maraviae

Hello Stanisław,

The document is a rather straightforward account of a dispute between two religious houses over a parcel of land. The dispute was arbitrated by Nicholas/Mikołaj, the superior/pastor of the church of Saint Peter, who decided in favor of the nuns of St. Mary convent. The other party in the dispute over the land was the religious house of Saint John. Walter was one of the representatives of the male religious house of St. John.

I have commitments which will occupy me during most of this week and will provide the full translation either at the end of the week or at the beginning of next week, as time permits. Although the vocabulary appears straightforward and the grammar is typical of Medieval Latin I intend to check the Lexicon Mediae et Infimae Latinitatis Polonorum for usages particular to Poland during the Medieval period. (The Lexicon was begun after Poland regained independence following WWI, was resumed after WWII, and is still a work in progress. If I remember correctly the current editors are working on the letter T, which provides some idea of the scope of the project.) For words whose use and meaning have not yet been published I will not be able to check for usages peculiar to Poland.

Geographical locations which appear in the text are places with German names—Altbrunn, Königsfeld, and Menitz. I know that the document was composed in 1373 during the reign of Ludwik Węgierski, the successor of Kazimierz Wielki, who had completed the reunification of the Polish state. Would you be able to provide me with information about where these places are located in contemporary Europe?

Thank you and I’m sorry that I will not be able to provide a complete translation until later in the week.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 157 of 274

Jump to: