PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:55 am      Post subject: Butkewicz or Butkiewcz or Budkiewicz

Our surname was changed, to Budricks for reasons I have only heard on hearsay, from the rest of my family.
My great grandfather as I have it, was born in Riga Latvia, and grew up in the Vilnius region. His date of birth was 30 April 1882. His name was Stefan (Butkewicz or Butkiewicz), the correct spelling is not known to me.
This is what I know and need to research to make it factual. Apparently his Grandfather, forename not known to me, was a member of a noble family, with last name Butkewicz or Butkiewicz….
Rumour has it that he was a Baron. His son Karl Butkewicz or Butkiewicz, was the farther of my great grandfather Stefan Butkewicz or Butkiewicz. His mothers name was apparently Alexandra. They were of noble family decent. Stefan Butkewicz or Butkiewicz could speak 5 or 6 different languages. I do have photographs of his father Karl and mother Alexandra. Stefan fled Poland, or Lithuania, and went to England. He then came over to South Africa with the British troops for the Anglo Boer war. We believe that he changed the surname to Budricks before he entered South Africa, but where and when this was done we don’t know. We do also know that he had a brother George and sister Alexandra that also came over to South Africa. ( it is also known there was other brothers but where they went is not known. George was killed in a strike in Johannesburg South Africa, and Alexandra immigrated after she married to Australia.Any assistance will be of great value, I do not know the polish language and sometimes this make it most difficult to research on the internet.

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4195

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:15 am      Post subject: Re: Butkewicz or Butkiewcz or Budkiewicz

Budricks wrote:
Our surname was changed, to Budricks for reasons I have only heard on hearsay, from the rest of my family.
My great grandfather as I have it, was born in Riga Latvia, and grew up in the Vilnius region. His date of birth was 30 April 1882. His name was Stefan (Butkewicz or Butkiewicz), the correct spelling is not known to me.
This is what I know and need to research to make it factual. Apparently his Grandfather, forename not known to me, was a member of a noble family, with last name Butkewicz or Butkiewicz….
Rumour has it that he was a Baron. His son Karl Butkewicz or Butkiewicz, was the farther of my great grandfather Stefan Butkewicz or Butkiewicz. His mothers name was apparently Alexandra. They were of noble family decent. Stefan Butkewicz or Butkiewicz could speak 5 or 6 different languages. I do have photographs of his father Karl and mother Alexandra. Stefan fled Poland, or Lithuania, and went to England. He then came over to South Africa with the British troops for the Anglo Boer war. We believe that he changed the surname to Budricks before he entered South Africa, but where and when this was done we don’t know. We do also know that he had a brother George and sister Alexandra that also came over to South Africa. ( it is also known there was other brothers but where they went is not known. George was killed in a strike in Johannesburg South Africa, and Alexandra immigrated after she married to Australia.Any assistance will be of great value, I do not know the polish language and sometimes this make it most difficult to research on the internet.

is it possible Your greatgrandfather could have a family in Poland in the city Sierpc? I know a family that lived in my city Sierpc and their name was Butkiewicz and they came from Vilnius region.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
Budricks

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:21 am      Post subject: Butkewicz or Butkiewcz or Budkiewicz

Im not sure, I do not have that many information and we are perusing all avenues.
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:28 am      Post subject: Re: Butkewicz or Butkiewcz or Budkiewicz

Budricks wrote:
Im not sure, I do not have that many information and we are perusing all avenues.

my 100 years old Grandmother lived in the house owned by wife or Mr Butkiewicz in the city Sierpc. her husband, Mr Butkiewicz was from Vilnius region. he was probobly a teacher but she is not sure and she knows that he died in Vilnius while playing the piano. After this incident his wife came to Poland with her children. Last year their daughter, who was a medicine doctor, died.

Last edited by marcelproust on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Budricks

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:32 am      Post subject: Re: Butkewicz or Butkiewcz or Budkiewicz

Do you perhaps have and address for this house where your Grandmother lived that was owned by Butkiewicz? Or any lead for me where I can get more information. I do not have any information regarding the occupations they hold.
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:04 am      Post subject: Re: Butkewicz or Butkiewcz or Budkiewicz

Budricks wrote:
Do you perhaps have and address for this house where your Grandmother lived that was owned by Butkiewicz? Or any lead for me where I can get more information. I do not have any information regarding the occupations they hold.

I have the address and the picture too. Currently, this house no longer exists. There is only Butkiewicz's family grave with pictures on it in our cemetery.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: