PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:34 pm      Post subject:

My maternal family name is Granica, which I understand to translate as "border." I know this name was given to the rail station town where the 3 partitions of Poland came together. That does not seem to be the origin of my family name. That place is too far away from the place where I traced my Granica ancestors. From family oral history (confirmed by immigrant/ship passenger records), my Great Grandfather came from a town named Ruszcza. Until recently, I thought there was just one Ruszcza, but I discovered another very near the town Sulislawice. Using the Genetka website, I found my great-grandfather's birth record (1888) at the Sulislawice parish, as well as many other of his family. During the partition years, this location was in Russian Poland or Congress Kingdom, close to the border with Galicia or Austria Poland. That might explain the origin of the surname, but that would mean my family name is only as old as the partitions. The Genetka records for the parish at Sulislawice show different spellings of the name before 1845 (Granica, Graniczka, Graniczynski) and going back only as far as 1811. Is it likely these people are all related under the same family, despite the spelling differences? Do all these spellings still have the same root, suggesting an association with some kind of border? Before partitions, the name Granica would not seem to have a reason in this specific area. Is it possible a family would adopt a surname as late as 1811? (It is possible the Genetka records are not a complete reflection of the parish records. Perhaps the name does go back further.) I assume my ancestors were peasants and therefore would have been forbidden to move about from another place to this Ruszcza. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
starkey76

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:15 pm      Post subject:

When using Geneteka,, when dealing with names like that, if in the right province, I'll search gran* and it will show all variations then that start with gran*
from there I look at where on google maps your start is: Sulisławice
In records before 1811, watch the locations of the name gran*, Staszow, Ruszków, Nowa Słupia, Chotel Czerwony, and they are all fairly close. One of the oldest appears to be in Jędrzejów, also close, the same with Pinczow. My guess, and is only a guess,is if that your line came from the 1812+ records, and the locations of all the pre-1812 records are withing miles of each other, try and find the start, and zoom in, and more locations will show. It might take some time, but I think your start should be close areas to Sulisławice, that show up in older records with gran*
Good luck, hope that helps
John
Andra

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:35 am      Post subject:

Yes, I see what you are saying. Thank you for the research tip.
I believe the Sulislawice records are yet to be completely digitized by Genetka. My understanding is that it is completed on a volunteer basis, so maybe there are more Gran* records from before 1811 with the parish. If I translated correctly, the parish records are on file at the regional archives at Kielce. Contacting the archives is on my to-do list.
starkey76

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:07 am      Post subject:

Saw a Kilian Graniczny and Marianna Rybus having several children from 1802-1815. Think Kilian also has a death record that has a scan in 1827, and also a birth from 1773, parents Antoni and Barbara. Antoni and Barbara(Dobosz) married in 1765 and had 9 children from 1766-1786, all in Staszów, around 25 KM from Sulisławice. Barbara might be the record from 1819 and antoni from 1796 deaths. At looking at Kilian and Barbara scans, I see Tomasz listed on both, and Kilian listed on Barbara's death. Possibly brother to Kilian and son to Antoni/Barbara? Someone else would have to translate everything. Hopefully you can link it from where you start in 1888 to further back to Kilian.
John
Andra

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:08 pm      Post subject:

Thank you very much! I will take a closer look at this.
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:41 pm      Post subject:

http://metryki.genbaza.pl/index/list
has Sulisławice Parish online digital records for 1810-1912. There is free registration. The path is Gen Baza---AP Kielce--AP Sandomierz--Sulisławice
Andra

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:27 pm      Post subject:

Henryk wrote:
http://metryki.genbaza.pl/index/list
has Sulisławice Parish online digital records for 1810-1912. There is free registration. The path is Gen Baza---AP Kielce--AP Sandomierz--Sulisławice

I do not see where or how to register at Genbaza, only login if already registered.
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:38 pm      Post subject:

http://genpol.com/changelang-eng.html
English instructions on registering
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: