PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:11 pm      Post subject: NameDay

Zenon:

Happy NameDay!

* I was looking at the NameDay calendar and I realized that today is your name day, so I wanted to send you wonderful wishes!

Many Blessings,
Brandy
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:16 pm      Post subject:

Thank you very much Brandy Smile Exclamation

When I talk with my Polish - American guests most of them is not aware of our Polish tradition of Name Day so I am very nicely surprised of your wishes Exclamation What's more, there are a few more Zenon name days in calendar, for example on February 14 or December 22, but I am celebrating it exactly today Wink.

But I haven't found "Brandy" in my Polish calendar. Do you know if there is a Polish equivalent of your given name Question Or when in your calendar is your name day Question

BTW, today June 23, we celebrate Father's Day in Poland. Don't forget to make wishes to your Polish dads Smile Exclamation
Send e-mail
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:26 pm      Post subject:

There are a number of Henryk name days too. How do you pick which name day to celebrate?
violin75

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:12 pm      Post subject:

Awww, you are so welcome! I dont know what the equivalent name to Brandy is but I would like to know that. I do know when I was baptised the Priest wouldnt baptise me with my first name because it is also a name of an alcohol, so they used my middle name Alexandria, maybe that will be there.

I know Brandy is a female form of Brandon.
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:08 am      Post subject:

Henryk wrote:
There are a number of Henryk name days too. How do you pick which name day to celebrate?

Usually it is the name-day which is closest to ones birthday.

violin75 wrote:
(...)they used my middle name Alexandria, maybe that will be there

Name-day of Aleksandra in Polish calendar is on May 18th: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imieniny and Brandon (or Brendan) can celebrate his name-day two days before, on May 16th: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan Smile .
Send e-mail
violin75

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:11 pm      Post subject:

Thanks Zenon!Smile
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:29 pm      Post subject:

Thank you, Zenon. I also looked on http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henryk_(imi%C4%99) which showed 11 days, a lot more than on the name day kalendarz that I have. When I checked 10 June, the name day closest to my birthday, on http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_czerwca I found I share the day with 21 names: Amancjusz, Amata, Apollo, Asteriusz, Aureliusz, Bogumił, Bogumiła, Cecylia, Diana, Edgar, Henryk, Ingolf, Jan, Maksym, Małgorzata, Mauryn, Onufry, Tymoteusz, Wiktorian, Wiktoriana i Wiktorianna.
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:35 pm      Post subject: Anna name day!

Today is the day of Anna, the most popular Polish female name. We wish all the best to all Annas!

[/img]

509.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.09 KB
 Viewed:  6747 Time(s)

509.jpg

Visit poster's website
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:05 pm      Post subject:

According to Catholic tradition St. Anne/sw. Anna was the grandmother of Jesus and her Feast Day is celebrated on July 26. Among other things she is the patron of unmarried women, of married women, of women in labor, and grandmothers. In Poland the Confraternity of St. Anne existed in the late 1500s and still exists today. I recently became interested in researching that Confraternity when I found an entry in the Marriage Register of the Parish of Przedecz. The entry contains the words in Polish which a new member repeated and the words in Latin by which the priest received the new member/members into the Confraternity. Other pages of the entry list the members of the parish who were enrolled in the Confraternity. A number of times the enrollment ceremony took place on the Feast of St. Anne, but what was of particular interest to me was that one of my sixth great grandfathers, Jozef Lichmaniak/Lichmana became a member on May 24, 1741. It is not often that one can learn something about a long deceased ancestor other than dates, spouse, children, occupation, etc. But in that entry were actual words spoken by him.

Happy Name Day to all Annas/Annes. Your patroness provided information about an ancestor from long ago.

Dave
rickborek

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:15 pm      Post subject: Anna's name day

I was lucky enough to be in Poland this summer with Zenon for 3 wonderful days. He found and introduced me to my cousin Anna. We had a wonderful first visit with Zenon translating on July 7th. We were lucky enough to be invited back to Anna's home 3 more times. The last visit was on July 26th, Anna's Name Day. We had a wonderful celebration. and were presented with more wonderful food and drink than I could every imagine eating.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: