PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:35 am      Post subject: "Forgotten Podhale" book Odrowaz, Zaluczne, Pienia

I found a book at the Malopolska Digital Library titled:

Zapomniane Podhale : czterysta lat wsi - Dział, Odrowąż, Pieniążkowice, Załuczne

And after dowloading the plug-in DjVu, (it was easy to do) I was able to look at the entire book. I think it is a history of the Podhale region...?

Although I could not read the book, I did notice that many many names are mentioned in this book, including my family name Kulawiak - though it is only mentioned 4 times (on page 115, 148, 140 and 160). In addition, I noticed many surnames of people who traveled from Odrowąż through Ellis Island. Some surnames from this book:

Andrasik, Antolek , Babicz, Balek, Balka , Bartek , Bełczyk , Biel, Biela, Bielański , Biernat, Bitner, Błażek , Błeka , Błęką , Bobek , Bohiniak, Borówka, Borzęcki, Brzezniak, Brigok , Bryjak, Brynkus, Bujak, Burmistrz , Bywarek, Bzdyk , Chlebek, Cichy, Cienkus, Cienkusz, Cieśla, Czecha, Czepiel , Czop, Czubernat , Czyszczonia, Darda , Dembek, Drabik , Dusza, Dutka, Dybała, Dziąba, Dziąbała, Fiedor, Fifański, Fitak, Foryś, Fudala , Gal, Galiński, Galowie, Gąsior , Gawlik, Giel , Głód, Głodek, Głowacz, Głownik , Gober , Godawa , Gogolak , Gonciarczyk, Gondol , Gorzut , Grela, Grelak , Grzech, Gwiżdż , Habała, Harbut, Harbuth , Hlinka, Hlinki, Hodana, Horze, Hraca, Huzior, Jachymiak, Jankowski, Jantolec, Jasień , Jaśków (Jaskon) , Jaśkówka, Kadłubiak, Kalec, Kania, Kankowic, Karwaczka, Kij , Kijówka , Kiszczak, Klimek, Knapczyk, Knapik , Kocańda, Koczańda, Koczonowski , Koczur, Kois, Kojda, Kojs, Kolbą , Komoń , Kontowicz , Kopiec , Koszek , Kowal , Kowalczyk, Królak, Jan Kanty Miś, Krupka Krzystyniak, Kudziaka, Kułach, Kulawiak, Kuropłoch, Kurowskiego, Kuta , Kwak, Łach (Lach), Las, Łaś, Lasek , Lasiek , Laska, Lassek, Lenart, Lichost , Łopata , Łopatka, Łyszczarczyk, Macha, Machnik, Majerski, Marszałek, Maśnica, Matyja , Melsana, Michalczówka , Michalczowski, Michałowski, Mika, Mikoś, Mikowiec , Miś, Morawczyński, Motyka, Myrda, Naciasta, Nacieścik, Natka, Niedźwiedź , Nowaczek, Nowakowski, Opola, Osczenda, Ostrowiecki, Otręba, Pacyga, Pagacz, Pałka, Parzniczak, Piasek , Piekielnick, Piekielnicki, Plewa , Płoskonka, Popek, Popołka , Pożyczak, Puchała , Puchlerz, Rafacz, Rempka, Rokiccy , Rokicki, Rozmus , Rubis, Rupno , Rutkowski, Sadły, Salomon, Skawski , Skorusa, Skupień , Smardzik, Smarz, Smutek, Sobek , Spódnica, Sproch, Sroczak , Stafiera, Stanek, Stasiak, Stasik , Stecz, Stenel , Stoch , Stróziak, Stuba , Swatek , Świątek, Świentek , Świętek, Szawina , Szczęch , Szczelina, Szczotka, Szlachta, Szymala, Szymczaga, Szymusiak , Tirana , Tisan, Tomczak, Tumina, Turza, Tusan, Tylka, Wacławiak, Waligóra, Waligórski, Waszka, Węglarczyk, Welon, Węsyk , Widzisz, Witek, Wnuk, Wójcik, Wojdyla, Wojdyła, Wojtasiak , Woytaszek, Wróbel, Wrzaszczak, Zachemski, Zaremba, Zązel, Zązelik, Zborka, Zeglarska, Zeglewik, Zegley , Zielczak, Zielonka, Zientarski, Ziober, Żmuda , Zwoleński

There are also some photos, including 2 clear photos of Stanislaus & Francezek Jankowski in 1899. I also noticed in the book toward the end, the word Odrowążu appears often and I was wondering if this is the name of another village, not Odrowąż.

Can anyone tell me what this book is about and if you can access the digitized version, what is the book saying about the Kulawiak men on those 4 pages? Also, does it say anywhere in the book that it has been published in English language.

This is the link to the book - I hope it works: http://mbc.malopolska.pl/dlibra/docmetadata?id=oai:mbc.malopolska.pl:5786

Thank You
Shellie

Last edited by Shellie on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:20 pm; edited 5 times in total
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:00 am      Post subject:

What at a great finding, Shellie Exclamation It may be mine of knowledge of a special value for of descendants of people from this four villages.

The title of this book in English: "Forgotten Podhale: four hundred years of Dział, Odrowąż, Pieniążkowice, Załuczne villages" by Krzysztof Szymusiak-Nowakowski (Podhale - literally "under Mountain meadows" - is Poland's most southern region, sometimes referred to as the "Polish highlands". The Podhale is located in the foothills of the Tatra range of the Carpathian mountains).

Yes, Kulawiak surname is mentioned on these four pages seven times. And they were always Kulawiak's from Odrowąż!

On page 115 Jan Kulawiak living in house no. 184 in settlement "rola Łasiowa" (part of a village where land was owned by a man by the name Łaś) in 1848 was designated to as a guard (every tenth man from given village was appointed). Their role was to watch crops and inform about strangers and possible damages.

On page 128 Jan Kulawiak from Odrowąż is mentioned in a list of recruiters from 1874 in the 6th regiment of Ułans (Polish cavalry). Wincenty Kulawiak from Odrowąż from the same page is a soldier of 20th regiment of infantry.
At the end of the page there are Jakub and Wincenty Kulawiak who, after many years of service, earned cadet rank.

Page 140: in 1819 Sebastian Kulawiak is plenipotentiary in Odrowąż.

Page 160: Jan Kulawiak from Odrowąż is mentioned as a one of casualties in the WWI.

This publication was sponsored by Local Borough Government in Czarny Dunajce. There is no information if the book was ever translated into English.
Send e-mail
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:12 am      Post subject:

I recently got a message from a nice person whose ancestors were from Odrowaz. Grandmother Helen Brzezniak (born in 1874) stated that her father was a town official of some kind.

I did not search the entire Forgotten Podhale book for the surname Brzezniak, but while skimming the text, on page 140, I found:

1822 Józef Brzeżniak - przysiężny

The online translators that I have tried were not able to translate the word przysiężny - any suggestions? 1822 is too early to be Helen's father, but perhaps this is her grandfather.
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:22 am      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:
The online translators that I have tried were not able to translate the word przysiężny - any suggestions?

Shellie,

"Przysiężny" in old Polish means "przysięgły", English "juror". I am sure this function can be considered as a town official.
Send e-mail
johndzielski

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:16 am      Post subject: Podhale

Hi Shellie...thanks for the info. concerning the existence of this site. My grandfather was from Dzial and came here (U.S.A.) in 1918. He was first in Buffalo but he and one of his brothers came to Chicago where they both stayed. Any information about any Dzielski or Bobek would interest me. Thanks again!!
Send e-mail
stacey

Replies: 95

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:35 am      Post subject: stasik name

I would be interested to know what the book says about Stasik surname. Still am seeking village gggrandfather was from Erazem Stasik. Also is there a site where I can look up people in Brzeziny? I would be interested in any help possible locating my family roots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: