PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:09 am      Post subject: Document rosenthal

I am trying to find information about my family. We do not know how they came to be in South Africa and can find no information on them. This is a document relating to my great grandfather. I am hoping someone can translate it and perhaps from this I can find out information.[/img]

Josuf Rosenthal.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Josuf Rosenthal.pdf
 Filesize:  510.81 KB
 Downloaded:  360 Time(s)

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:08 am      Post subject: Re: Document rosenthal

Breezk wrote:
I am trying to find information about my family. We do not know how they came to be in South Africa and can find no information on them. This is a document relating to my great grandfather. I am hoping someone can translate it and perhaps from this I can find out information.[/img]

this document is written in german language and it was issued in the polish city Bydgoszcz.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
Kmichael8

Replies: 543

Post Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:37 am      Post subject: Re: Document rosenthal

Breezk wrote:

Hello,

This document is a so-called "Entlassungs-Urkunde" or a discharge document. By receiving this document you were allowed to leave the country (i.e. the Kingdom of Prussia) and at the same time you lost Prussian citizenship.

The Prussian provinces were structured in administrative units called "Regierungsbezirke". One of them was Bromberg or Bydgoszcz in Posen or Pozan. The discharge document was issued by the Royal Prussian Government ("Königlich Preußische Regierung") in Bromberg on July 3, 1879 for Joseph Rosenthal, born on July 24, 1864 and residing in Czarnikau (Polish Czarnków), county ("Kreis") Czarnikau. He wanted to emigrate to America.

Best regards,
Michael

Last edited by Kmichael8 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Breezk

Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:11 am      Post subject: Joseph Rosenthal

Thanks so much Michael. This clears a lot up for me. Does it perhaps say who his parents were?
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:58 am      Post subject: Re: Joseph Rosenthal

Breezk wrote:
Thanks so much Michael. This clears a lot up for me. Does it perhaps say who his parents were?

You’re welcome. The "Entlassungs-Urkunde" provides no information about the parents. It might be an idea to have a look into the church books of Czarnikau / Czarnków for 1864.
Breezk

Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 am      Post subject: Joseph Rosenthal

Would his still be the case if they are Jewish? Where would find these records? Really appreciate the help.
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:34 am      Post subject: Re: Joseph Rosenthal

Breezk wrote:
Would his still be the case if they are Jewish? Where would find these records? Really appreciate the help.

Well - it might not be that easy.

Protestant and Catholic church books are available at familysearch:

https://www.familysearch.org/en/home/

The documents are available online, but - for legal reasons - depending on your location you might have to visit a family history center. I found entries from Protestants in Catholic church books and vice versa and some entries from Jews, too. So it might be worth a try.

Jewish documents are available at:

https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/wyszukiwarka

The civil registry documents are also available here but they begin in October 1874 only.

Enter “Czarnków” in the search field and select “Record files”. Unfortunately they are only available on microfilm and cover only the period from 1823 – 1840. But you might get into contact with the archive to check whether additional records are available.

A short description of the Jewish life in Czarnikau you will find here:

http://www.jüdische-gemeinden.de/index.php/gemeinden/c-d/2252-czarnikau-westpreussen

It is written in German but the Google translator will get most of it.

Hope that helps a bit.

Best regards,
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: