PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 64

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:22 am      Post subject: Education, Class Society

Is it out of the question to find out the kind of upbringing (education, class society, etc.) someone had? I know know for sure one ancestor was a farmer in Poland, and clearly that's what he did in the states, but two others from villages worked their way up (laborer to small business owner) in the Polish community. Can you find a record of education in the 1870-1890's? Or was it just that they weren't farmers in Poland, were raised in the village and had parents that with occupations and education.

I have everything in the way of documents and plan to visit next year...what can I expect to find?

Send e-mail
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:21 pm      Post subject:

That is an excellent question, and I have been curious about the same thing. Nearly all of my immigrant ancestors were common laborers in Pittsburgh and Chicago. Several exceptions were butchers in Poland, and eventually (after several years in the Chicago packing houses, opened their own butcher shops. My grandfather, however, was much better educated and had beautiful penmanship. After immigrating in 1909 he immediately became a draftsman and later, a master carpenter. He was born in Sietesz and prior to his immigration lived in Zagorze nearby. Some family stories lead me to believe that he worked in one of the manor houses there. I regret never talking to him about life in Poland and learning more about his childhood.
douggieohare

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:56 pm      Post subject:

Most people start their search with local Parish Registers. You can try this way too
georgianacrouse

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:39 pm      Post subject:

You can at least try to find some information about them. Some organizations can help with that, or you can do that yourself.
It might be helpful to find local churches’ old record books because it was where they wrote all the dates: when someone was born or deceased. It might also contain some more information about what is happening in a village at the moment. Such books are usually called parish registers.
You could be luckier if your ancestors went to a university since there should be more information about them. I checked whether my ancestors graduated from any universities on the list on ngscholars.net.
The whole search might take a very long time, but it is worth it eventually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: