PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:20 pm      Post subject: Looking for marriage record in Ohio

Hello: I am looking for a marriage record in Cuyahoga County or Lorain County in Ohio. I have contacted the county offices and they are not of much help. I have been told that there may have not been a marriage license. I am not able to travel to Ohio at this time and would greatly appreciate any help that can be offered. I am particularly interested in finding the names of the parents of the bride and groom. Below is the information I have.

Groom: John Domzalski (some records show his first name as "Jan". Some records show his last name as "Damezel" or Damsel"). He was born in 1892 in Poland. Immigrated here in 1907. I cannot find him on the 1910 US federal census. His Declaration of Intent to naturalize shows a marriage date of 21 April 1912 in Cleveland.

Bride: Stefanija Kruszewska or Kruszewski (some records show her first name as "Stella" or "Stephanie". Born in 1896 in Poland. She immigrated here in 1903, I believe she came here to meet up with her father Peter. I am guessing that her mother died in Poland. The 1910 US federal census shows her living with her father in Lorain Ohio, Ward 3. On Ancestry.com the spelling of her last name is "Krufski". But, when comparing this document to other documents, this is the correct family. Her Declaration of Intent to naturalize confirms a marriage date of 21 April 1912.

I requested and received John's death certificate for the purpose of finding his parents names. However, the parents were listed as unknown. The informant for the death certificate was the funeral director. UGH.

Could they have been married in a local church without a license? I don't know their religious denomination. Any help with quest would be greatly appreciated.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:35 pm      Post subject:

Hi Judy,

based on your information, I think I found his passenger list (see attached). He actually arrived May 7, 1907. It is very common for our ancestors to estimate dates of arrival (and birth) for census and/or naturalization papers. What matches in both records is the village of his birth: Lubowidz. There is more than one Lubowidz in Poland, but the passenger list indicates the country as Russia, Poland. That tells me his village of birth is Lubowidz in Żuromin County, Masovian Voivodeship.

When I searched the Geneteka database, I found the index for his birth record in 1890. The record is attached; it is entry #137 on the page. His parents are: Jan Domzalski and Jozefa Ostrowska

The record is written in Russian script and you can post it to the Russian translation forum to be translated.

Again, John reported his birth date from memory for the naturalization papers so it could be wrong. Back then it was common for our ancestors to forget their exact date of birth - my grandparents had different dates on all of their records. I checked the birth records in 1892 and 1891 in Lubowidz and there is no record for Jan Domzalski. So this record from 1890 is probably him. It also lines up with the age listed on the passenger list in 1907. He was only 16 years old, which would place his birth sometime between May - Dec, in 1890.

If you want to search for more Domzalski ancestors in Lubowidz, here is the link to the database:
http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/?op=kt&ar=13&zs=0654d&sy=1890&kt=1

As to his marriage record in Ohio, I searched ancestry with no luck. I also search the records for Cleveland Ohio on Family Search and could not find him. It is possible they married in Loraine County Ohio. When I searched the Loraine County marriage records in Family Search I saw there is a gap in the years microfilmed from about 1900-1920. It could be that the marriage records for that period of time were destroyed by fire/flood. To find out, you would have to ask them about the gap.

If you want to search the Cleveland marriage records yourself, here is the link on Family Search:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/85639?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Another option: If this is his passenger list, then his destination was to his sister and brother-in-law in Chicago, IL. Perhaps they married in Illinois?

I hope this helps. Good luck with your research,
Cynthia

1907 Jan Domzalski passenger list.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  928.11 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1907 Jan Domzalski passenger list.jpg

1890 Jan Domzalski birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.19 MB

1890 Jan Domzalski birth.jpg

Send e-mail
EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 370

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:54 pm      Post subject:

My guess is they were not married in Cuyahoga County at all. Here are historical marriage records and while I find the names, I don't see either the bride or groom there.

http://probate.cuyahogacounty.us/pa/SearchResults.aspx
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:55 pm      Post subject: marriage license

Hi Judy & Cynthia,

If the birth record Cynthia has found is his, he was Roman Catholic. It is highly unlikely that a priest would have officiated at a wedding if the couple had not obtained a license for a plethora of reasons. It would be an illegal act in civil law and the priest (or minister or rabbi) would have made himself liable for civil penalties. In Russian Poland and in Austrian Poland priests acted as civil registrars until after WWI and in German Poland until 1874, when freestanding registry offices were instituted. Basically any immigrant priest or native born priest of Polish descent would have had civil requirements so deeply ingrained in his psyche that not following the applicable civil law would have been completely foreign to his character. That is not to say it would be impossible, but it would be extremely unlikely for a priest to bless a marriage without a civil license. More likely reasons why a license return may not be found could be that the signed return was not sent to the county clerk or that the return was not filed correctly

Since other records on Family Search indicate that both John & Stella/Stephanie were Catholic and if the bride was living in Lorain in 1912, the marriage almost certainly would have taken place in Lorain since Catholic marriages were to take place in the parish of the bride. Since they were both recent immigrants, the priest who blessed the marriage almost certainly would have been Polish. At that time there were two Polish parishes in Lorain, St. Stanislaus and Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. If, as Cynthia found, civil marriage records for Lorain 1900-1920 are not extant, then perhaps a worthwhile approach would be to contact the churches for a copy of the pertinent entry in the marriage register. Nativity is still open and the contact info is attached. St. Stanislaus has been closed but perhaps the staff at Nativity could provide you with direction regarding where the records of St. Stan’s are housed.

Cynthia, I’m not sure that the passenger manifest and thus the birth act are his. I remember seeing on Family Search that he was naturalized in 1942 and the numbers on the manifest indicate a naturalization date of Aug, 10, 1940. He did not get married in a Polish Catholic Church in Chicago. The PGSA has indexed all marriages in Polish parishes in Chi-town to 1915 and neither the name of the bride or of the groom is found there.

As Forrest Gump would say, “And that’s all I have to say about that.”

Good luck with the search.

Dave

Screenshot_2019-09-12 Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish Lorain, Ohio ? Where the Lady of the house welcomes you to[...].png
 Description:
 Filesize:  314.42 KB

Screenshot_2019-09-12 Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish Lorain, Ohio ? Where the Lady of the house welcomes you to[...].png

JudyR

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:32 pm      Post subject: Looking for marriage record in Ohio

Wow!!! You guys are awesome. I will follow the leads you gave me. I have contacted The Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish. I called and did not get an answer. I did however email them. Thanks so much. This has been sooo much help.
EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 370

Post Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:41 am      Post subject:

As Dave mentioned, looking in Lorain is the best bet.

St. Stanislaus closed in 2009. A lot of the closed parishes sent records to the Diocese (Catholics don't throw those records away), so you may want to check with the Diocese to see if they have the records.

Here is the request form to do that. Give them as much information as you can and a window to look for those records. I've had a lot of success with them.

https://www.dioceseofcleveland.org/offices/chancellor/sacramental-request
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: