PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:21 pm      Post subject: What was life like in Rozan and Las, Poland in 1920?

Hello all,

My great grandmother Petronela Abramski came to America and married Jan Korczakowski one month after she arrived. Her birthplace was Las, Poland.

I do not know if this was normal to get married so soon, or if she knew Jan previously.

She had 4 children between 1901 and 1908 - Czeslawa, Janina, Franciszek (Frank) and Paulina.

In 1908, she went back to Poland, taking Janina with her. Czeslawa and Paulina followed one year later. I can find no record of Frank coming back from Poland, so perhaps he stayed with relatives in America. I can find no record of Jan coming back from Poland, and I do not know if he stayed in America or not.

In 1921, Czeslawa, Janina and Paulina received emergency passports from the American Consulate in Warsaw to come back to America. In their passports, it states that they came to Rozan, Poland in 1908 and 1909. Because they were American citizens, they were allowed to come back. Petronela was not. Because of new American quota laws, she had to stay at the Atlantic Park Hostel in Southampton, England for 5 years. She finally made it back to join her children in 1927.

I would like to know what this area was like during World War I and during the Polish-Russian War in 1919-1921. I found one Jewish website that says Rozan was burned in 1920. I think that Petronela and the 3 children may have had to run for their lives to leave. I found some articles and some old maps for this time period, but nothing mentions these towns.

Does anyone have any history of Rozan and Las that they could share?

Thanks so much!

Heidi Steeves
myriamm924

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:09 pm      Post subject: Rozan

Hello
Here is a little bit of history on Rozan. My family is from there.
http://www.zchor.org/rozan/rozan.htm#this
https://www.jewishgen.org/Yizkor/rozan/Rozan.html#TOC-track
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: