PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:24 pm      Post subject: Help locating a town in Poland (or maybe Russia)

Hi folks. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide us.

My grandfather came to the U.S. in the early 1900's. He spoke Polish and said he was from Poland. But when we dug up his immigration paperwork, we found he listed his birthplace as being in Russia. The city he listed is not written very clearly on his immigration papers. It starts with the letters "Piskor..." but after that the spelling is not clear (see attached photo).

Our family is very interested in finding out where his birthplace really was. If you have any clue what city or area this may be, please let me know.

Thanks, folks, for you help! Smile

russia.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.06 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

russia.jpg

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4190

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:35 am      Post subject: Re: Help locating a town in Poland (or maybe Russia)

WalterTevis wrote:
Hi folks. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide us.

My grandfather came to the U.S. in the early 1900's. He spoke Polish and said he was from Poland. But when we dug up his immigration paperwork, we found he listed his birthplace as being in Russia. The city he listed is not written very clearly on his immigration papers. It starts with the letters "Piskor..." but after that the spelling is not clear (see attached photo).

Our family is very interested in finding out where his birthplace really was. If you have any clue what city or area this may be, please let me know.

Thanks, folks, for you help! Smile

what was You grandfather name?

PAYPAL: [email protected]
WalterTevis

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:01 am      Post subject: name

On his immigration papers, it was "Jozef Tomas Smogorzewski".
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4190

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:33 am      Post subject: Re: name

WalterTevis wrote:

village Piskornica belonged to Skaryszew romancatholic parish in Poland but i cant find Smogorzewski baptism record in 1891 files.
Maybe the village name was Piskornia: there were few Piskonia villages. One belonged to Pokrzywnica romancatholic parih: i did not find 1891 baptism record for Smogorzewski but i see that this surname appeared in this parish.
there is also village Piskornia in Żytniów parish.

Do You know You grandfather's parents names?

PAYPAL: [email protected]
Tina Ellis

Replies: 74

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:31 pm      Post subject:

Hello Marcel,

I don't know if you checked other years for that parish, but many times I have found people sometimes did not know their birthday. They could have been off a few years. Sometimes the parents did not baptize them right away. I know one of my cousin's had a wife, and I found hers recorded fives years later. I wondered why and learned there was a war happening when she was born.

I found a couple more place possibilities for you. Check this page http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_VIII/229. There are three parishes named for four villages with the same name on as part of its name.

I haven't checked this site. You may something there: http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/?lang=eng.

Hope this helps you.

Tina Ellis
[email protected]
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:15 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

His naturalization papers indicate he arrived in 1902. I found his passenger list see arrached. He was only 9 years old and came over with his whole family! Their destination in the USA was Scranton, PA.

Now that we have the names of his parents and siblings, we can see them all in Geneteka. Here is the link

http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=07mz&rid=B&search_lastname=Smugorzewski&search_name=Jan&search_lastname2=Przybysz&search_name2=Waleria%20&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=

Their records are scanned - just click on the end of the line entries on “Skan”.

The village is actually Pokrzywnica. I will attach images of the records later.

Best,
Cynthia

4DE76053-B9D0-45CD-83F8-E1197D1058A4.jpeg
 Description:
1902 passenger list for Smogorzewski
 Filesize:  854.95 KB

4DE76053-B9D0-45CD-83F8-E1197D1058A4.jpeg

Send e-mail
WalterTevis

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:39 pm      Post subject: Re: name

marcelproust wrote:
WalterTevis wrote:

village Piskornica belonged to Skaryszew romancatholic parish in Poland but i cant find Smogorzewski baptism record in 1891 files.
Maybe the village name was Piskornia: there were few Piskonia villages. One belonged to Pokrzywnica romancatholic parih: i did not find 1891 baptism record for Smogorzewski but i see that this surname appeared in this parish.
there is also village Piskornia in Żytniów parish.

Do You know You grandfather's parents names?
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:40 pm      Post subject:

Attached is 1889 birth record for Jozef Smogorszewski. It is act #69 on the page. Post it in the Russian translation forum for translation.

3AD1FEC8-B758-46DC-AD3E-3EB840F46DF9.jpeg
 Description:
1889 birth Jozef Smogorszewski
 Filesize:  1.35 MB

3AD1FEC8-B758-46DC-AD3E-3EB840F46DF9.jpeg

Send e-mail
WalterTevis

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:48 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello,

His naturalization papers indicate he arrived in 1902. I found his passenger list see arrached. He was only 9 years old and came over with his whole family! Their destination in the USA was Scranton, PA.

Now that we have the names of his parents and siblings, we can see them all in Geneteka. Here is the link

http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=07mz&rid=B&search_lastname=Smugorzewski&search_name=Jan&search_lastname2=Przybysz&search_name2=Waleria%20&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=

Their records are scanned - just click on the end of the line entries on “Skan”.

The village is actually Pokrzywnica. I will attach images of the records later.

Best,
Cynthia
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:49 pm      Post subject:

Marriage record of Jan Smogorszewski and Waleria Przybysz. It is act #2 on the page.

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0078d&sy=1885&kt=2&plik=02-03.jpg#zoom=1&x=443&y=176
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:02 pm      Post subject:

Birth of his siblings

1886 Jan Bronislaw it is act #1 on the page

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0078d&sy=1886&kt=1&plik=01-02.jpg#zoom=1&x=2382&y=774

1887 Zofia is act #8

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0085d&sy=1887&kt=1&plik=007-010.jpg#zoom=1&x=290&y=721

1892 Wladyslaw is act #44 on the page

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0078d&sy=1892&kt=1&plik=43-46.jpg#zoom=1&x=536&y=1571

1886 death of Jan Bronislaw is act #8 on the page

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0078d&sy=1892&kt=1&plik=43-46.jpg#zoom=1&x=536&y=1571
Send e-mail
WalterTevis

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:48 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Attached is 1889 birth record for Jozef Smogorszewski. It is act #69 on the page. Post it in the Russian translation forum for translation.
WalterTevis

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:15 am      Post subject:

Thank you sooooo much, Cynthia! This information is absolutely incredible! My family sends its most sincere thanks as well!!
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:08 pm      Post subject:

Hello Walter,

You are very welcome. I am happy that I could help.

Not only do you have information on your grandfather Jozef Tomasz, you also have the next generation of your great grandparents: Jan Smogorszewski and Waleria Przybysz. You also have the generation of your 2nd great grandparents: Tomasz Smogorszewski and Jadwiga Pielach.

Although your great grandparents (Jan and Waleria) came to the USA in 1902 with their entire family, Jan's siblings may have remained in Poland - in which case, you may be able to locate living relatives in Poland. When looking at the Geneteka database, I found 3 siblings of Jan with records in the village of Pokrzywnica - Stanislaw, Marianna, and Jozef. If you post these for translation in the Russian Records forum, you will get more information about their ages, dates of birth, and village of birth (which may not have been Pokrzywnica):

Stanislaw Smogorszewski married Jozefa Bartcak (nee Kosek; she was a widow) in 1907. It is act #6 on the page:

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0078d&sy=1907&kt=2&plik=06-07.jpg#zoom=1&x=880&y=945

Marianna Czarnecka (nee Smogorszewski; she was a widow at the time) married Józef Gołąb in 1905. It is act # 1 on the page.

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0078d&sy=1905&kt=2&plik=01-02.jpg#zoom=1&x=0&y=0

Jozef Smogorszewski died in 1906. It is act # 27 on the page.

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0078d&sy=1906&kt=3&plik=27-30.jpg#zoom=1&x=1115&y=708

Wishing you an exciting adventure as you continue your search for your Polish connections. Maybe you will even hire Polish Origins to visit your ancestral home and possibly locate and meet your Polish relatives! We did that last year and had an incredible experience.

All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
WalterTevis

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:51 pm      Post subject:

Hi Cynthia!

Thank you so much for this additional information! It is so exciting that we may have relatives living in Poland! Smile And yes, maybe we need to find a way to fly over there and find out!!

You mentioned the Russia records translation forum. I did not know about this! Thank you for alerting me to this feature of this website! I will get everything organized and post to there right away. This website is amazing. I am sure it has brought many people together and has made the world a much smaller and closer place! Smile

Thank you again Cynthia!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: