PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:32 pm      Post subject: Żnr custodis viae ferrcae e Piajecza

Hello All

For this birth record number 31, I would be most grateful for a translation or interpretation of a phrase that appears to be a mix of both Latin and Polish after the godmother's name Valeria Caroli in the last column (my best attempt at transcribing it):

Żnr custodis viae ferrcae e Piajecza

Żnr or Łnr = ??
custodis = custodian, guard
viae = roads
ferrcae = iron? could be a misspelling
e =from
Piajecza = ??

My wild guess is that this might this refer to her occupation as a railroad guard/custodian from Piajecza (a place? I can find no reference to this in Polish). Any advice would be most appreciated! Many thanks in advance!

R. Heczko Birth Record Cropped.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  132.7 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

R. Heczko Birth Record Cropped.jpg

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1733

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:33 am      Post subject: Re: Żnr custodis viae ferrcae e Piajecza

Edu wrote:
Hello All

For this birth record number 31, I would be most grateful for a translation or interpretation of a phrase that appears to be a mix of both Latin and Polish after the godmother's name Valeria Caroli in the last column (my best attempt at transcribing it):

Żnr or Łnr = ??
viae = roads
e =from
Piajecza = ??

My wild guess is that this might this refer to her occupation as a railroad guard/custodian from Piajecza (a place? I can find no reference to this in Polish). Any advice would be most appreciated! Many thanks in advance!

The place name is Rajcza.
you will receive the answer to the other questions if you put your question in the right place:
https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=1759&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=2370

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1774

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:15 am      Post subject: Re: Żnr custodis viae ferrcae e Piajecza

Edu wrote:
Hello All

Żnr or Łnr = ??
viae = roads
e =from
Piajecza = ??

Hi Edu,

Here is a transcription of the entry: Valeria (uxor, understood) Caroli Żur custodis viae ferreae e Rajcza.
Your wild guess was not too far off. The entry translates: “Waleria, (the wife) of Karol Żur, a railroad guard/attendant/supervisor from Rajcza”.

The entry follows the usual rules/format of using the vernacular for surnames, places names, and other proper nouns. Via ferrea (iron road) is the accepted way to name a railroad in Latin. Although the ancient Romans were excellent engineers and road builders a railroad was beyond their experience of reality and thus Classical Latin had no word for a railroad. Nineteenth Century Latinists determined that via ferrea was the most appropriate way to describe a railroad in Latin. The determination was not based on a whim. The creation of new Latin words follows accepted scholarly methodology. A department exists in the Vatican for the creation of new Latin words. Since Papal Encyclicals and other documents are published in Latin (as well as in Vernacular languages) it is necessary to coin new Latin words to express 21st Century realities which did not exist in times past.

Although this response is probably longer than what you wanted, hopefully it answers your questions.’

Wishing you success,

Dave
Edu

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:12 pm      Post subject:

Many thanks to Dave for your insights and interpretations! It makes perfect sense now reading that "Waleria, (the wife) of Karol Żur" is the godmother - and this gives me yet another clue to follow up on. I have found Rajcza, a small village just 9.4 miles from my ancestors' village of Cięcina, which indeed has a rail station on the line from Żywiec to the Polish-Slovakian border.

Thanks also to MarcelProust for his clarification of the village Rajcza as well as his suggestion to post under the appropriate category for questions, Latin records translations (this is my first time posting, live and learn). So noted!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 Page 160 of 160

Jump to: