PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:29 pm      Post subject: Jagiello surname

I'm trying to find info on Agnieszka Jagiello who married Antoni Kowalczyk and lived in the late 1800's in Kielce.

Is it true that anyone who had the Jagiello surname was a member of the Jagiello royal family? Does Jagiello ever appear as a surname among unconnected commoner families?
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:01 pm      Post subject:

This may be their marriage index

https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=S&w=13sk&rid=S&search_lastname=Jagiello&search_name=Agnieszka&search_lastname2=Kowalczyk%20&search_name2=Antoni&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:57 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
This may be their marriage index

https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=S&w=13sk&rid=S&search_lastname=Jagiello&search_name=Agnieszka&search_lastname2=Kowalczyk%20&search_name2=Antoni&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=

Best,
Cynthia

Yes, that's them Cynthia. Thank you very much. Is their actual marriage record online anywhere?
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:58 am      Post subject:

By the way, Antoni and Agnieszka (Jagiello) Kowalczyk had a daughter named Marianna born in 1894 in Kielce. Marianna married Stanislaw Spiżarny around 1914.
Odriscoll

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:28 am      Post subject:

Where does this information come from, Starshadow?
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:48 am      Post subject:

Starshadow,

Regarding locating the actual records, you would need to contact the archives at Kielce. Here is the link provided by Geneteka index

http://www.kielce.ap.gov.pl/

The site is in Polish, so I don’t know if any records are available online. You would need to translate the website yourself or see if a Polish member of the forum can answer that question for you.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:43 am      Post subject:

Odriscoll wrote:
Where does this information come from, Starshadow?

Hi Odriscoll. If you mean about the Jagiello surname, I Googled it. I've never heard of it before. It doesn't seem like a typical Polish surname. Maybe because it's a derivation of Jogaila. Whether that's Polish or Lithuanian, I'm unsure. I'm guessing most if not all with that surname are descended in some way from him. If I can ever trace Agnieszka Jagiello all the way back to him, I'll know for sure.
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:44 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Starshadow,

Regarding locating the actual records, you would need to contact the archives at Kielce. Here is the link provided by Geneteka index

http://www.kielce.ap.gov.pl/

The site is in Polish, so I don’t know if any records are available online. You would need to translate the website yourself or see if a Polish member of the forum can answer that question for you.

Best,
Cynthia

Thanks again Cynthia. I'm guessing I should be looking for the parish records of Trzcianka?
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:38 pm      Post subject:

Hi Starshadow,

This might be the 1893 birth record index for Maryanna Kowalczyk from the Geneteka database. There is no scan on the line. Also, the index does not list the parents, so you will not know for sure if this is her until you see the actual parish record. However, it is curious that the birth for this Maryanna Kowalczyk was recorded in Kielce Katerda (Kielce Cathedral).

http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=13sk&rid=B&search_lastname=Kowalczyk&search_name=maryanna&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=1893&to_date=1895&rpp1=&ordertable=

best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:02 pm      Post subject:

Hi Starshadow,

To answer your question regarding looking for records in Trzcianka...

Trzcianka is a village several miles from the administrative district of Nowa Słupia (see image of Google map attached). The Geneteka index shows the Gmina (administrative district) in which they were married as Nowa Słupia. So, when you contact the archive, you can provide both the village and the Gmina name: Trzcianka Gmina Nowa Słupia.

A database of parishes in Poland shows the name of the church and the years available for the records (see link below). Narodzin (birth), Slubów (marriage), Zgonów (death).

https://parafie.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=pr&pid=5533

Best,
Cynthia

Nowa Slupia.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  385.7 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Nowa Slupia.jpg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:29 pm      Post subject:

Hello again, Starshadow,

Please read through this entire thread because I have posted several new items for you.

The 1891 marriage index for Agnieszka Jagieła and Antoni Kowalczkyk shows her parents as:
Pawel Jagieło and Józefa Klusek.

When I search Geneteka index for Pawel and Józefa, I can see several more clues regarding their family:

1. They lived in the administrative district of Nowa Słupia
2. Agniszka had at least three siblings: Marianna, Barbara, and Jan (per the marriage record index. They were all married in different villages within the gmina)

Here is the link to view the marriage records of Agnieszka's siblings:

https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=S&w=13sk&rid=S&search_lastname=Jagie%C5%82o&search_name=Pawe%C5%82&search_lastname2=Klusek&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:13 am      Post subject:

Thank you very much Cynthia. This is excellent.

As for Marianna Kowalczyk, I have her birth date from her obituary as Feb 13th 1894. Though it could actually be 1893. She listed her birth place as "Huta Szklana" on one document. Huta Szklana (Szklana Huta) appears to likewise be in the vicinity of Trzcianka and Nowa Slupia.

I'm not sure where and how she met Stanley Spizarny. Most likely in Boston, or perhaps in Poland. They had 3 children together. Then around 1922, she returned to Poland, taking all 3 children with her, and leaving her husband in America. She stayed in Kielce until after WW2. She never divorced her husband, and eventually reunited with him.

I always thought it unusual how she did that. It doesn't seem within the average Polish-American wife's ability to take her children back to Poland and support them without her husband's help. I suspect she came from a family of means.
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:16 am      Post subject:

By the way, after Googling Kielce's history, I noticed it held some prominence during the 19th and early 20th centuries as a focus of Polish independence and revolutionary movements. Especially throughout all the partitional tug-of-wars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: