PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:18 am      Post subject: Searching for Skala Family in Rzeszow

I am assisting the 96 year old daughter of George Wojciech Sebastian Skala who is seeking information about her father's family. He came the United States before 1906 where he became an employee of the Bethlehem Coal Mines. We have learned that he had two brothers John and Peter. Peter's son Frank also came to America and worked in the coal mines. Frank came from Jasonka, Rzeszow. We believe that George, John and Peter were the sons of a Thomas Skala. George served in the military before coming to the United States and his daughter is also seeking military records. We would appreciate any help in learning about this family and how to access the military records.
Thank you
Helen R
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:50 pm      Post subject:

Hello Helen,

I found several documents through Ancestry.com for Wojciech Skala and his wife, Barbara Skala nee Drzul. I am not sure how many documents you already have, so let me know if you want them: 1910 census, 1930 and 1940 census, WWI draft registration, death certificates for both of them, and their marriage license application.

I am attaching 3 of the documents so you can see how I narrowed down his place of birth. First, his 1903 passenger list shows his last residence in Poland as Rudna Wielka. Here is some information about this place:

Rudna Wielka is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Świlcza, within Rzeszów County, Subcarpathian Voivodeship, in south-eastern Poland. It lies approximately 4 kilometres north-east of Świlcza and 7 km north-west of the regional capital Rzeszów. The village has a current population of 1,300.

Second, his 1906 marriage license from Johnstown, PA shows his parents as: Thomas and Mary Skala.

His US records show different birth dates. I went with the earliest records: immigration and marriage which narrows it to 1876-1878. I found records online for the parish of Rudna Wielka, and I found his birth record for 1876 (see attached). Here is the link also, so you can see it in the online database (it is image#27):

https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1117/0/-/2/str/1/2/15#tabSkany

I may post more later, if I find more records. Please note that Adelbertus is another form of Wojciech. In English, he used the name George and/or Albert on his US records...

Best,
Cynthia

1906 George Skala marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.2 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1906 George Skala marriage.jpg

1903 Wojciech Skala passenger list.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  681.93 KB

1903 Wojciech Skala passenger list.jpg

1876 (Wojciech) Adalbertus Skala birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.06 MB

1876 (Wojciech) Adalbertus Skala birth.jpg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:59 pm      Post subject:

So, based on Wojciech's (Adelbertus') 1876 birth record, you have 2 more generations:

his parents: Thomas Skala and Marianna Trzeciak or Frzeciak (spelling?)
his grandparents: Sebastian Skala and Rosalia Walat; Joseph Trzeciak/Frzeciak (spelling?) and Sophia Wruk (spelling?)

I will look and see if I can locate his brother's birth records.
Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:22 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
So, based on Wojciech's (Adelbertus') 1876 birth record, you have 2 more generations:

his parents: Thomas Skala and Marianna Trzeciak or Frzeciak (spelling?)
his grandparents: Sebastian Skala and Rosalia Walat; Joseph Trzeciak/Frzeciak (spelling?) and Sophia Wruk (spelling?)

I will look and see if I can locate his brother's birth records.
Best,
Cynthia

Hi Helen & Cynthia,

Here is a brother Szymeon https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1117/0/-/2/skan/full/Cc-9TDVroQ4M9I5ziBet-g
and the brother Piotr (Peter), who died in 1910 https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1117/0/-/2/skan/full/Pbz5-cHU5JC5H0rQrJHRig

Later I’ll see what other records I can locate.

Wishing you success,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> What, Why, How...? All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: