PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 13

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:21 pm      Post subject: Thank you

I’m going to check your private message now.
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:33 pm      Post subject:

Hi Teri,

Here is the second set of instructions as promised.

Now that you have the 1881 marriage record for Michal and Marianna, you can begin searching for birth records of their children.

You will need to have the image I provided for you previously of the Wesolek name written in Russian script in front of you so you can refer to it when searching the indices. Remember, you don't have to read Russian. It is about pattern recognition. Look at the image of the surname in Russian that I attached. The first letter of Wesolek in Russian script looks like a capital "B". It is a small word. It has no letters with tails or heads (above or below the line of writing), and the second letter looks like an "e", the third looks like "c" and next to last letter looks like a "k".

1. Click on the link I gave you for all the online parish books for Szrensk:

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryki.php?op=sy&ar=13&zs=0616d

3. You can assume Marianna was married at about 19-20 years old. That means she would be able to bear children for about 20 years. This means you would look at the parish book for each year between 1881-1901 (or perhaps a bit beyond 1901). Begin by selecting the year 1881.

4. The page will load. Look to the right side of the page. Under "1881", click on Urodzenia / U (births). NOTE: "M" is for Małżeństwa (marriages), and "Z" is for Zgony (deaths).

5. You will see a list of numbers in columns. The numbers represent the record #s in the form of ranges, i.e., 002-003 means if you click on this, you will find records 2 and 3 of the parish book. You will also see several links at the end of the columns beginning with the letters "SKU". These are the birth index pages for the parish book.

6. Select SKU-1 (first page of the index). An image written in Russian will appear. Look at the lower right side of the image. This is where the birth index for 1881 begins. You will see names written in Russian script in the following columns: record #, Surname, Given name. Look at the image I gave you of the Wesolek surname written in Russian script. Compare the first letter of Wesolek in Russian script to the first letters of the surnames on the index page and see if there is a match. NOTE: what looks like a capital "B" in Russian script is the equivalent the Polish letter "W" when pronounced. You will notice there is not a match on that page of the index.

7. Look to the top left of your computer screen and you will see 3 small square icons. The first square takes you back to the main map page of the database. The second square takes you back to the list of records for 1881 (left side of page) and other years available (right side of page). The third square is to download the image of the record you are currently viewing. To go back to the 1881 list of birth records and indices, click the second square.

8. Now you should be back at the page for 1881 births with the columns of number ranges. Select the next index page "SKU-2". An image of page 2 of the index for 1881 births will appear. Remember, columns are: record#, Surname, Given name. Again, look at the first letter of Wesolek in Russian (looks like "B). You will see a whole list of surnames on the page that begin with "B". Now look at the second letter of Wesolek in Russian. It looks like "e". Scan the list of surnames for any beginning with what looks like "Beco...". You will notice there are none. That means no Wesolek child was born in 1881.

9. Look to the top left of your computer screen and you will see 3 small square icons. To go back to the list of birth records and indices, click the second square. After the page loads, look to the right of the page and you will see other years available. Select "Urodzenia" (births) for 1882.

10. You will see the familiar columns of number ranges and index pages (SKU-). Select SKU-1. The first page of the parish book index for births will appear. Remember columns: record #, Surname, Given name. Scan the page for surnames that begin with "B". When you see them, look for surnames that begin with what looks like "Bec...". When you see it, compare the rest of the surname in the index to the example of Wesolek in Russian script I gave you earlier to see if it could be a good match. If it looks like a match (and it does), look at the record number to the left of the surname (in this case, it is 33).

11. Look to the top left of your computer screen and you will see 3 small square icons. Select the second square that will take you back to the list of records for 1882 (left side of page).

12. Select the range of numbers that contains the record number indicated by the index (in this case for record 33 you select the range 031-034. A page of birth records from the parish book will appear. Notice there are 2 records per page and 2 pages per image. So, you are looking at 4 records numbered 31, 32, 33, 34 in the margin. Find record 33.

13. Look at each line of the record to see if the names of the parents and the child's given name are written in Polish after the Russian. The Russian is usually followed by a "/" then the Polish version of the name. The father's name is usually listed within the first 3-4 lines of the record. The mother's name is usually listed about halfway or more in the record, and the child's given name is about 3-4 lines after the mother's name. In this example, look at line 3 and you will see "/Michal Wesolek". Look at line 10 and you will see the mother's name separated, first "/Marianna" then some Russian, then "/Dawbrowskiej". Then look at the end of line 12 and you will see the given name of the child "/Szymon Wladyslaw". Now you know, this is the birth record for their first born child!

14. Look to the top left of your computer screen and you will see 3 small square icons. Click on the third square to download the image to your computer. It will download the to the download folder of your computer, and it will have a file name of record range you downloaded, in this case: 031-034.jpg. You can rename the file for easier recognition. I usually rename mine like this: 1882-33 Szymon Wesolek birth

15. Congratulations! You just found the birth record for Michal and Marianna's first child. Now, to find birth records for the rest of their children, look to the top left of your computer screen and you will see 3 small square icons. Select the second square to return to the 1882 list of records (left side of page) and other years available (right side of page). Select 1883, Urodzenia, go to step 5 of these instructions and repeat.

If you have any questions, or need any help along the way, let me know. After you find all the birth records, let me know and I will tell you how to locate records for the marriages of their children.

Happy hunting,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 370

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:28 pm      Post subject:

While this is not my parish and I am VERY familiar with this site, I wanted to commend you, Cynthia, for doing such a thorough job of explaining to Teri how to find things!! Well done!
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:46 pm      Post subject:

Why thank you, EanWhitson, for your kind words!

I appreciate that you took the time to say so....especially given your expertise with the database.

I chose to post the instructions in the public form rather than in private email in the hope that others who are just beginning their search might find it a helpful guide.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: