PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 159, 160, 161 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:50 pm      Post subject: Re: yurkowski baptism certificate

mizbear7 wrote:
I would greatly appreciate some help translating this.
Thank you.

Hi,

Here is the translation of the baptismal certificate you posted.

The locations in the certificate, of course, today are in Ukraine. The name of the patron of the parish church is not legible. It also appears on the parish seal, but is too faint to read.

The translation follows.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Top of Certificate:
Left Side:
Diocesis = Diocese: Leopoliensis = Lwów
Decanatus = Deanery (Polish: Dekenat): Czartków
Parochia = Parish: Łabince

Center: Number (of certificate issued): 204

Right Side:
Respublica = Republic: Poloniae = of Poland
Palatinatus = Province (Polish: Województwo: Tarnopol
Districtus = District/County (Polish: Powiat): Kopyczyńce

Testimonium ortus et baptismi = Certificate of birth and of baptism

The parish office of the Roman Catholic Latin Rite church in Łabince of the Nativity of St. (illegible) attests by the present (certificate) that in the register of baptisms designated for Hryńkowce in Volume III, page 39, number in order (blank) is found the following:
Date of birth: 14/XI/1891 (US system: 11/14/1891) that is: the fourteenth day of the month of November in the one thousand eight hundred ninety-first Year of (Our) Lord
Place of birth: Hryńkowce
Date of baptism: November 25, 1891
Minister of baptism: Rev. Stefan/Szczepan Dzi??rzyński, the curate
Religion of the one baptized: Roman Catholic

Col. 1: Name of the one baptized: Ladislaus = Władysław
Col. 2a: Gender: masculini = masculine/male
Col. 2b: Bed: legitimi = legitimate
Col. 3: Parents (of the one baptized), their given name, surname, (their) parents, religion. Status/condition/occupation age: Yurkowski Jacobus agricola filius Nicolai et Anastasiae Głogowska = Yurkowski, Jacób, a farmer, the son of Mikolaj and of Anastazja Głogowska
mater= the mother:
Maria Wierzbicka = Maria Wierzbicka
Col. 4: The sponsors, their given name, surname, religion status/condition/occupation, domicile: Demetrius Słobodzian et Carolina Kucharska = Dymitr Słobodzian and Karolina Kucharska
Col. 5: midwife, Confirmation, change of status (order of marriages), etc.: Obstetrix Anastasia Hołowata = The midwife (was) Anastazja Hołowata

I sign this certificate with my own hand and affirm it with the parish seal.

Łabince on the 12th day of June in the Year of Our Lord 1935
Parish Seal & Signature of the pastor (who issued the certificate in 1935)
kristesk

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:05 pm      Post subject: Help with Translation-Anna and Ludwika Plewa

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone can help with the translation of my Grandmothers sisters. I realize it is not a good copy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

1894-Nov-21-Plewa Ludwika-birth(b).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  224.83 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1894-Nov-21-Plewa Ludwika-birth(b).JPG

1898-Apr-10-Plewa Anna-birth(b).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  341.4 KB

1898-Apr-10-Plewa Anna-birth(b).JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:20 pm      Post subject: Re: Help with Translation-Anna and Ludwika Plewa

kristesk wrote:
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone can help with the translation of my Grandmothers sisters. I realize it is not a good copy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hi,

The scans you posted are incomplete. The columns containing the names of those baptized and the dates of birth and of baptism are cut off. I'll provide you a translation of what you have posted later today. If you have the first columns and would be able to post images of those columns I would be happy to include that info in the translation.

Thanks.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:09 pm      Post subject: Re: Help with Translation-Anna and Ludwika Plewa

kristesk wrote:
Hello,

Hi,

Here is the translation of the first record (1894-Nov-21-Plewa Ludwika-birth(b).JPG ).

Columns 1-4 are cut off.

Col. 1: Series = Number in Order: Missing

Col. 2: Mensis = Month:

Col. 2a: Natus = Of Birth:

Col. 2b: Baptisatus = Of Baptism:

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number:

Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized):

Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank

Col. 6: Sexus = Gender
Col. 6a: Puer = Boy: Blank
Col. 6b: Puella = Girl: Checked

Col. 7: Thori = Bed
Col. 7a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 7b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank

Col. 8: Parentes = Parents
Col. 8a: Pater = Father: Adalbertus Plewa fil. Pauli et Annae Chmura agricolae = Wojciech Plewa, the son of Paweł and of Anna (née)Chmura, farmers
Col. 8b: Mater = Mother: Catharina Przybyłko fil. Joannis et Margarethae Mróz = Katarzyna Przybyłko, the daughter of Jan and of Małgorzata (née) Mróz

Col. 9: Patrini et eorum Conditio = Sponsors and their State of Life/Occupation: (Godparents is the how patrini are popularly known. Technically they are sponsors, who in theory were supposed to act as mentors for the child): Franciscus Wędryna(?) agr. et Carolina Sycło(?) agr. = Franciszek Wędryna(?), a farmer and Karolina Sycło(?), a farmer

Notations: The midwife (was) Katarzyna (illegible surname.
Stanisław Sw(?)i(???)acki, the curate, baptized (her).

Here is the second record (1898-Apr-10-Plewa Anna-birth(b).JPG

Columns 1-4 are cut off.

Col. 1: Series = Number in Order: Missing

Col. 2: Mensis = Month:

Col. 2a: Natus = Of Birth:

Col. 2b: Baptisatus = Of Baptism:

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number:

Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized):

Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank

Col. 6: Sexus = Gender
Col. 6a: Puer = Boy: Blank
Col. 6b: Puella = Girl: Checked

Col. 7: Thori = Bed
Col. 7a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 7b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank

Col. 8: Parentes = Parents
Col. 8a: Pater = Father: Adalbertus Plewa fil. leg. Pauli et Annae n. (illegible) /n. 9/2 1853/ /cop. 25/10/1882/* = Wojciech Plewa, the legitimate son of Paweł and of Anna (née) (illegible but does not appear to be Chmura) /born on February 9, 1853/ /married on October 25, 1882/*
Col. 8b: Mater = Mother: Catharina Przybyłko fil. leg. Joannis, hort.** et Margarethae n. Mróz /n. 29/10/1862/= Katarzyna Przybyłko, the legitimate daughter of Jan, a gardener,** and of Małgorzata born Mróz /born on October 29, 1862/***

Col. 9: Patrini et eorum Conditio = Sponsors and their State of Life/Occupation: (Godparents is the how patrini are popularly known. Technically they are sponsors, who in theory were supposed to act as mentors for the child): Joannes Dominik, hort.**; Agnes uxor Joannis Bronikowski = Jan Dominik, a gardener** (&) Agnieszka, the wife of Jan Bronikowski

Notations: The midwife (was) Katarzyna (illegible surname), not examined****.
I, Stanisław Gajewski, the curate, baptized (her).

Notes: *Wojciech’s date of birth & the date of his marriage to Katarzyna
**hortulanus/gardener: describes a peasant who owned his cottage and a small parcel of land, but not full farm fields
***Katarzyna’s date of birth
****non examinata/not examined: a sort of licensing of midwives. An obstetrix examinata was one who was tested and determined to be qualified. An obstetrix non examinata practiced without having taken an examination. Both coexisted in Galicia.

I hope the translations provide you with useful information. The Latin wording of the headings of the columns may not correspond exactly with those on your records, but they definitely fit the data entered in them.

Wishing you successful research,

Dave
mizbear7

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:41 pm      Post subject: A baptism record need translation

Hi, I have a baptism certificate I would greatly appreciate getting translated.It is added below.
Thank you so much!
c yurkowski

cyncar baptism.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  633.23 KB

cyncar baptism.jpg

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:36 am      Post subject: Re: A baptism record need translation

mizbear7 wrote:
Hi, I have a baptism certificate I would greatly appreciate getting translated.It is added below.
Thank you so much!
c yurkowski

Hi,

this document is written in latin.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:09 am      Post subject: Re: A baptism record need translation

mizbear7 wrote:
Thank you so much!
c yurkowski

Hi C. Yurkowski,

A handy rule of thumb to determine the language of records from what was Galicia is that vital record documents from 1772 until after WWI were in Latin. This rule of thumb should make it easy to determine where to post a request for translation on the forum.

Although not everything in the baptismal certificate is legible due to damage to the original copy, the Latin text is mostly legible and what is not completely clear can be reconstructed based on typical phraseology employed in such certificates. However, names which are illegible (e.g. those of the sponsors cannot be reconstructed.

Locations found in the document are currently in Ukraine.

Here is the translation:

Testimonium baptismi = Certificate of baptism

Ex parte oficii parochalis gr. c. Ecclesiae in Probuzna notum testatumque fit in libris metricalibus natorum hujus Ecclesiae reperiri sequentia: = On behalf of the parochial office of the Greek Catholic Church in Probuzna it is made known and attested that in the metrical books of births of this Church is found the following:

Anno Domini Millesimo octingentesimo nonaginto nono /1899/ die 12a Martii nata, baptisata ac confirmata est e Nr D. 81 in Hrynkowce puella nomine Antonia filia legitimi thori Romani Cyncar et Dariae filiae Theodori et Pelagiae Audr???ów agricolarum e Hrynkowce. Patrini illegible due to damaged document). = In the One Thousand eight hundred ninety-ninth year of Our Lord (1899) on the 12th day of March was born, baptized and confirmed from house number 81 a girl by the name of Antonia, the daughter of the legitimate (marital) bed of Roman Cyncar and of Daria, the daughter of Teodor and of Pelagia (née) Audr???ów, farmers from Hrynkowce. The sponsors (were) (illegible due to damaged document).

Baptisavit et confirmavit RN. Joannes Holinetyj(?) parochus e Probuzna = Rev. Jan Holinetyj(?), the pastor from Probuzna baptized and confirmed (her).

Quas testimoniales manu propria subscriptibo et sigillo Ecclesiae munio = I sign this certificate with my own hand and affirm it with the seal of the Church.

Probuzna die 16 Aprilis 1907 = at Probuzna on the 16th day of April 1907.
Parish Seal followed by the signature of the pastor.

I hope that you find this useful.

Dave
mizbear7

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:32 pm      Post subject: translation of baptism

Hi Dave! I really want to Thank you for doing this and the other translation you did for me. I am new to this wonderful website so am not real sure about the procedure yet! Anyway, I will learn! Thank you so much for your help!
carol

Edu

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:32 pm      Post subject: Żnr custodis viae ferrcae e Piajecza

Hello All

For this birth record number 31, I would be most grateful for a translation or interpretation of a phrase that appears to be a mix of both Latin and Polish after the godmother's name Valeria Caroli in the last column (my best attempt at transcribing it):

Żnr custodis viae ferrcae e Piajecza

Żnr or Łnr = ??
custodis = custodian, guard
viae = roads
ferrcae = iron? could be a misspelling
e =from
Piajecza = ??

My wild guess is that this might this refer to her occupation as a railroad guard/custodian from Piajecza (a place? I can find no reference to this in Polish). Any advice would be most appreciated! Many thanks in advance!

R. Heczko Birth Record Cropped.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  132.7 KB

R. Heczko Birth Record Cropped.jpg

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:33 am      Post subject: Re: Żnr custodis viae ferrcae e Piajecza

Edu wrote:
Hello All

For this birth record number 31, I would be most grateful for a translation or interpretation of a phrase that appears to be a mix of both Latin and Polish after the godmother's name Valeria Caroli in the last column (my best attempt at transcribing it):

Żnr or Łnr = ??
viae = roads
e =from
Piajecza = ??

My wild guess is that this might this refer to her occupation as a railroad guard/custodian from Piajecza (a place? I can find no reference to this in Polish). Any advice would be most appreciated! Many thanks in advance!

The place name is Rajcza.
you will receive the answer to the other questions if you put your question in the right place:
https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=1759&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=2370

PAYPAL: [email protected]
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:15 am      Post subject: Re: Żnr custodis viae ferrcae e Piajecza

Edu wrote:
Hello All

Żnr or Łnr = ??
viae = roads
e =from
Piajecza = ??

Hi Edu,

Here is a transcription of the entry: Valeria (uxor, understood) Caroli Żur custodis viae ferreae e Rajcza.
Your wild guess was not too far off. The entry translates: “Waleria, (the wife) of Karol Żur, a railroad guard/attendant/supervisor from Rajcza”.

The entry follows the usual rules/format of using the vernacular for surnames, places names, and other proper nouns. Via ferrea (iron road) is the accepted way to name a railroad in Latin. Although the ancient Romans were excellent engineers and road builders a railroad was beyond their experience of reality and thus Classical Latin had no word for a railroad. Nineteenth Century Latinists determined that via ferrea was the most appropriate way to describe a railroad in Latin. The determination was not based on a whim. The creation of new Latin words follows accepted scholarly methodology. A department exists in the Vatican for the creation of new Latin words. Since Papal Encyclicals and other documents are published in Latin (as well as in Vernacular languages) it is necessary to coin new Latin words to express 21st Century realities which did not exist in times past.

Although this response is probably longer than what you wanted, hopefully it answers your questions.’

Wishing you success,

Dave
Edu

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:12 pm      Post subject:

Many thanks to Dave for your insights and interpretations! It makes perfect sense now reading that "Waleria, (the wife) of Karol Żur" is the godmother - and this gives me yet another clue to follow up on. I have found Rajcza, a small village just 9.4 miles from my ancestors' village of Cięcina, which indeed has a rail station on the line from Żywiec to the Polish-Slovakian border.

Thanks also to MarcelProust for his clarification of the village Rajcza as well as his suggestion to post under the appropriate category for questions, Latin records translations (this is my first time posting, live and learn). So noted!
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:52 pm      Post subject: Translation of Record No 6 Marriage

Greetings all! I would greatly appreciate help in accurately translating my g.g-parents marriage record. I pretty confident I have the groom's info, but I question the spelling of the surname. I have thought it to be Bzdziuch, but the writing in this record looks different to me....I'm just not sure.

As for the bride, I'm struggling with everything past the name. Also, the groom's birth year is listed, but looks like it's not for the bride?

I really appreciate some fresh eyes on this!

Thank you...Joe

Antoni Bzdziuch m 1875.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  430.02 KB

Antoni Bzdziuch m 1875.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:52 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation of Record No 6 Marriage

JGwizdowski wrote:
Greetings all! I would greatly appreciate help in accurately translating my g.g-parents marriage record. I pretty confident I have the groom's info, but I question the spelling of the surname. I have thought it to be Bzdziuch, but the writing in this record looks different to me....I'm just not sure.

As for the bride, I'm struggling with everything past the name. Also, the groom's birth year is listed, but looks like it's not for the bride?

Thank you...Joe

Hi Joe,

The record you posted is in Polish, not in Latin.

Here is a translation of the portions about which you had questions.

The Groom: Antoni Bzdziender(sp?), a single young man, a farmer, the son of Michał and of Agnieszka (née) Lizak, born in 1845.

The Bride: Agnieszka Jucha, a miss, the daughter of the late Wawrzeniec (Wawrzyniec) and of Katarzyna (née) Snieg, 18 years of age. (The year of her birth is not included; only her age is given.)

The third and sixth columns give the villages where the contracting parties resided.

The dates the banns were announced were: Jan. 17, 24, & 31in the year 1875

I’m not certain of the letters following the d in the surname of the groom. Also the standard spelling of Lawrence is Wawrzyniec but the priest spelled the name Wawrzeniec.

Hope this answers your questions,

Dave
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:17 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation of Record No 6 Marriage

dnowicki wrote:
JGwizdowski wrote:

Thank you...Joe

Hi Joe,

The record you posted is in Polish, not in Latin.
Hope this answers your questions,

Dave

Thank you Dave! One day, I'll figure out how to tell which language is being used in these records!
Best,
Joe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 159, 160, 161 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 160 of 274

Jump to: