PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:37 pm      Post subject:

a4u2fear wrote:
Thanks Dave, hmm I’m going to have to think about this one....the original format of the files was greater than 2MB so I couldn’t upload. Changing the type was only way I found to reduce the size

Hi,

You might consider splitting the record into more parts to reduce the size of each part. It would not matter if you overlapped some sentences. Another possibility would be to post the link to the place where you found the entry, unless it came from a microfilm and is not digitized.

Just some ideas to consider...

Dave
TifaStrife

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:36 am      Post subject: Translation

Hi Dave,
I found a death record of Carl Janowski -- I think I was able to make out most of it. I've been trying to learn how to translate this on my own - I believe it gives the date of death as December 5 (year is 1887). I think the text says Carolus Janowski _____unknown______Michaline Sekowska. Roman Catholic. Male. Age 62. Cause of Death Influenza Pneumonia.

At first I was thinking the unknown text was just stating husband of or spouse of, but the Latin words for those terms do not match the handwriting. I was hoping you could tell me what that unknown text says.

Thank you so much for your help, and please enjoy your Thanksgiving Smile

Carl Janowski - DR.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.75 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Carl Janowski - DR.JPG

a4u2fear

Replies: 230

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:46 am      Post subject: updated files

Dave, do these uploads look better? Thanks

Jakub Kotyrasiak and Franciszka Jankoska marriage 1816 par. Łagiewniki Kościelne (2of2).jpg
 Description:
Second translation 2of2
 Filesize:  1.52 MB

Jakub Kotyrasiak and Franciszka Jankoska marriage 1816 par. Łagiewniki Kościelne (2of2).jpg

Jakub Kotyrasiak and Franciszka Jankoska marriage 1816 par. Łagiewniki Kościelne (1o2).jpg
 Description:
Second translation 1of2
 Filesize:  553.35 KB

Jakub Kotyrasiak and Franciszka Jankoska marriage 1816 par. Łagiewniki Kościelne (1o2).jpg

Jakub Koterasiak and Franciszka Pawlonka marriage 1825 par. Łagiewniki Kościelne (1of1).jpg
 Description:
1st translation, 1of1
 Filesize:  2 MB

Jakub Koterasiak and Franciszka Pawlonka marriage 1825 par. Łagiewniki Kościelne (1of1).jpg

DBallanger

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:58 pm      Post subject:

I would like the get the following baptism certificate translated. Thank you

IMG_1981.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1014.7 KB

IMG_1981.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:31 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation

TifaStrife wrote:
Hi Dave,
I found a death record of Carl Janowski -- I think I was able to make out most of it. I've been trying to learn how to translate this on my own - I believe it gives the date of death as December 5 (year is 1887). I think the text says Carolus Janowski _____unknown______Michaline Sekowska. Roman Catholic. Male. Age 62. Cause of Death Influenza Pneumonia.

At first I was thinking the unknown text was just stating husband of or spouse of, but the Latin words for those terms do not match the handwriting. I was hoping you could tell me what that unknown text says.

Thank you so much for your help, and please enjoy your Thanksgiving Smile

Hi,

You did quite well. Some of the words you did not recognize are words not seen every day. Here are some additions/clarifications/corrections. He died on December 3 and was buried on December 5. Without seeing the heading I cannot say what is in the 4th column. Karol got a title in this record—Dnus = Dominus = Pan/Sir. The title is probably due to his occupation—steward/manager The word after his surname is oeconomus (also spelled economus) and means “estate steward/manager”. The next word is maritus (husband). The following word is derelictae (left behind or, in better English, surviving). Here is the transcription and the translation of the entry: D(omi)nus Carolus Janowski, economus maritus derelictae Michalinae Sękowska. Pan Karol Janowski, an estate steward, the husband of the surviving Michalina (née) Sękowska.

His cause of death is inflamatio pulmonum = an inflammation of the lungs, a somewhat general diagnosis. It could have been pneumonia or some other lung ailment.

Enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:34 pm      Post subject: Re: updated files

a4u2fear wrote:
Dave, do these uploads look better? Thanks

Hi,

The images are much better or as a long dead Roman would have said: “Multo melior est” (It is better by much.) They are now easy to read.

Here is the translation of the 1816 marriage:
Łagiewniki. In the year of Our Lord 1816, on the 3rd day of the month of July, in the second week after Pentecost, I, Piotr (illegible surname), pastor of Łagiewniki, after the marriage banns had been announced beforehand on three consecutive Sundays in the presence of the people gathered together for the Divine Rites (i.e. Mass) and since no impediment, neither civil nor canonical, had been discovered, administered the Sacrament of Matrimony between the industrious* Jakub Kotyrasiak, a servant in the village of Zakrzewo, born in the village of Dziecmiarki in the parish of Waliszewo in the year 1792 and the industrious* Franciszka Jankoska, residing in Łagiewniki, born in the village of Tuszkowo in the parish of Dabrowice in the year 1788. The witnesses were the industrious* Jakub Mikołajczak, 30 years of age, a farmer from Zakrzewo, Tadeusz Ignaczak(?), a farmer from Łagiewniki, 40 years of age, Kazimierz Bogasiak, a day laborer, 45 years of age from Zakrzewo, Józef Jankowski, a tenant from Łagiewniki, 36 years of age, the full brother of the groom.

Here is the 1825 Marriage:
(Left Margin): Here begins the year 1825. A widower, 38 years of age; a maiden 27. Łagiewniki. In the year 1825 on the 16t day of January, the Second Sunday after Epiphany I, Piotr (illegible surname), pastor of Łagiewniki, after the marriage banns had been announced beforehand according to the law on three consecutive Feast Days in the presence of the people gathered together for the Divine Rites (i.e. Mass) and since no impediment, neither civil nor canonical, had been discovered, and after judicial permission had been obtained in Gniezno under the date of 13 January of the current year from number 367, blessed the marriage in the presence of the congregation between the industrious* Jakub Koterasiak, a widower, a day laborer in Łagiewniki, and the industrious* Franciszka Pawlonka**, a maiden, a servant in the manor house in Łagiewniki, age 27, in the presence of the witnesses the industrious* Marcin Kowalczak, Wojciech Hina(?), farmers in Łagiewniki, Wojciech Zdrocak(?) a tenant from Olekszyn, and the honorable** Wacław Bielawski, organist of this place.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to designate an individual as a peasant.
**The suffix -onka was used for an unmarried daughter of the Pawlak family.
***honoratus/honorable: an adjective used to describe a patrician.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:41 pm      Post subject:

DBallanger wrote:
I would like the get the following baptism certificate translated. Thank you

Hi Debra,

Thank you for posting the jpg image.

Here is the translation of the certificate. I was not certain of the reading of some place names and surnames. The data regarding the sponsors aka godparents is basically illegible.

Thanks to Sophia’s more accurate reading of the handwriting, the maiden name of Anna reads Czepelewycz (Contemporary Polish spelling is Czepelewicz) rather than Czepciewycz(? ). I’ve made the correction in the translation.

The lines over which birth information was written acted as a security device so that the document could not be altered without erasing some of the lines. Whoever altered the certificate (It was not a priest.) did not read Latin and did not realize that the day of birth was entered first in numerals and with the number in written form. The certificate read that she was born on January 31 in both formats before someone changed the numeral without realizing that the number in long hand was a dead giveaway that part of the document had been forged. Ninety-four years after her birth the alteration has been made manifest. I guess karma gets you no matter how many years have passed.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Dave

Top of Certificate:
Left Side: Republic of Poland
Województwo/Province: Lwów
District/Powiat (County): Sanok
Center: Number (of certificate issued): Missing
Right Side: Diocese: Przemyśl
Dekenat (Deanery):
Parish: Jurowce

Certificate of birth and of baptism

The parish office of the Greek Rite Catholic Church of Jurowice attests to all and sundry of whom it is or may be of interest that in the baptismal registers of this church for the village of Srogów Gorny Volume III , Page 58, Number 2 is found the following:

In the year of Our Lord One Thousand Nine Hundred Twenty-five on the Thirty-first day of the month of January, 28/I*, was born at house number 36, and on the 5th day of February was baptized by Rev. Stefan Kopyskacki(?)

Col. 1: Name of the one baptized: Zofia/Sophia
Col. 2: Religion: Greek Catholic
Col. 3: Sex/Gender: Feminine
Col. 4: The (marital) bed: legitimate
Col. 5: PARENTS
Col. 5a: The Father: Stefan/Stephen Szwec, the son of the farmers of this place, Elizeusz/Elisha/Elishua and Anna née Czepelewycz (Contemporary Polish spelling: Czepelewicz), farmers in Sok???
Col. 5b: The Mother: Angelina, the daughter of Michał/Michael Gayda (Contemporary Polish spelling: Gajda) and of Ewa/Eve née Hezkada(?), farmers in Sokr????
Col 6a & b: The Sponsors & Notation: illegible

The midwife: Lucja/Lucy Dobosz(?)

In testimony of which I sign this certificate with my own had and affirm it with the seal of the parish church.

Given at Jurowce on the 12th day of April 1930

Signature of the parish priest with the imprint of the parish seal
Kurt1322

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:28 pm      Post subject: Thomas Kostecki Death Record?

Can someone please help me with the translation of this death record from the parish of Zon Poland? I believe that it is Thomas Kostecki who died at 70 years old, but I want to verify that it is a record of his death and not that his is just a witness to another persons death. I would appreciate this so very much.

Thank you,

Kurt

1813-Thomas Kostecki DC-Zbyszewice crop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  340.63 KB

1813-Thomas Kostecki DC-Zbyszewice crop.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:30 pm      Post subject: Re: Thomas Kostecki Death Record?

Kurt1322 wrote:
Can someone please help me with the translation of this death record from the parish of Zon Poland? I believe that it is Thomas Kostecki who died at 70 years old, but I want to verify that it is a record of his death and not that his is just a witness to another persons death. I would appreciate this so very much.

Thank you,

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

The record you posted is indeed that of the death of Tomasz Kostecki. The record is in Polish, not in Latin. Since you are not asking for a complete translation here is an extract of the important data.

Village: Zbyszewice
Date of report of death (Akt): October 14, 1813
Informants: Andrzej Kostecki age 48; Antoni Rybicki, age 30
Date of Death: October 12, 1813
Deceased: Tomasz Kostecki, a widower, age 78
Cause of Death: Edema aka Dropsy (na puchlinę)

Happy Thanksgiving.

Dave
a4u2fear

Replies: 230

Post Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:33 am      Post subject:

dave, thanks so much for the translation. happy thanksgiving.
adamsam

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:32 pm      Post subject: marriage Obiala - Piasecka Brudnia 1825

It has been along time, but I finally found the marriage record I've been looking for and was hoping to get a translation.
what I can read:
groom: Adalbertos Obiala age 32
bride: Marianna Piasecka age 20
date: 15 October 1825
Groom parents: deceased
Brides parents: Father: Adlbertos
Mother: deceased
Interested in names of sponsors and and places of birth, etc.
Your help is much appreciated

Obiala-Piasecka marriage Brudnia 1825.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  447.27 KB

Obiala-Piasecka marriage Brudnia 1825.PNG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:54 pm      Post subject: Re: marriage Obiala - Piasecka Brudnia 1825

adamsam wrote:
It has been along time, but I finally found the marriage record I've been looking for and was hoping to get a translation.
what I can read:
groom: Adalbertos Obiala age 32
bride: Marianna Piasecka age 20
date: 15 October 1825
Groom parents: deceased
Brides parents: Father: Adlbertos
Mother: deceased
Interested in names of sponsors and and places of birth, etc.
Your help is much appreciated

Hi,

The places of birth of the bride and the groom are not given. The places named in the entry are those of their residence at the time of the wedding without any indication of whether or not they were born in those places. I’m not sure of the spelling of the surname of the first witness, but am of the other two witnesses.

Here is the translation. I hope it helps you.

Dave

Col. 1: Numerus = Number (for the year): 6
Col. 2: Dies et Mensis Copulationis = The Day and Month of the Marriage: 1825 d. 15ta Octobr(is) = The 15th day of October 1825
Col. 3: Nomen Sacerdotis Benedicentis Matrimonium = The Name of the Priest blessing the Marriage: Idem = The same
Col. 4: Nomen et Cognomen Copulatorum, demominato domicilii, status artis vel conditionis vitae, mentio trium promulgationum et quos nullum adfuit impedimentum = The First Name and Surname of those marrying, (their) place of residence, status of art or condition of life, mention of the three announcements of the banns and whether an impediment was present: Adalbertus Obiała juvenis de Brudnia et Marianna Piasecka virgo de Ośniszczewko. Denuntiationes promulgatae, nullum impedimentum detectum = Wojciech Obiała, a single young man from Brudnia and Maryanna Piasecka, a maiden from Ośniszczewko. The banns were promulgated, no impediment was detected.
Col. 5: Num copulati vel una pars eorum antea vinculo matrimonii obstricti aut obstricta fuit, num sub potestate patrentum vel tutorum existunt. = Whether one of them already had been bound by the state of matrimony or if not, whether they remained to this time under the tutelage of (their) parents or guardians: Ut supra = As above (The above statement probably read something like: “Neither had been bound by a previous marriage.”)
Col. 6: Aetas = Age
Col. 6a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: 32
Col. 6b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: 20
Col. 7: Religio = Religion
Col. 7a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Catholic
Col. 7b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: Catholic
Col. 8: Nomen et Cognomen Parentum = Given & Surname of the Parents
Col. 8a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Mortui sunt = They are deceased
Col. 8b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: Adalbertus vivit Mater mortua = Wojciech (the father) is living; the mother is deceased
Col. 9: Num cum Consensu Parentum vel Tutorum vel Judicii Tutelaris Matrimonium Contractum Sit. = Whether the marriage was contracted with the Consent of the Parents or of the Guardians or of the Court of Guardianship: Patris = (With the consent) of the father (of the bride, i.e. Wojciech)
Col. 10: Testes = Witnesses: Antonius Morz?wicki, Gregor(ius) Motylewski et Thomas Kościński = Antoni Morz?wicki, Grzegorz Motylewski and Tomasz Kościński
Col. 11: Annotationes = Notations: Blank
adamsam

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:42 am      Post subject: marriage Obiala - Piasecka Brudnia 1825

Thank you for the translations and the quick response. Yes it helps in my research and I may be able the unscramble the name as it (name) with those letters appears in other family documents.
Adam
zolkie

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:42 pm      Post subject: Nobility titles

Good evening.
I found some birth/baptismal records in FamilySearch which are images from the Roman Catholic parish in Zbaraż.
I've learned the basic things to look for in translating the Latin records, but came across some interesting notations in a couple of the records which I'm curious about. I'm attaching two baptismal records, but I'm most interested in the information listed under the father. I suspect Jósef and Tomasz Wszelaczynski are related somehow, but each has additional information written following their surname. I suspect the information has to do with their standing in the community (is one a judge and one a governor?), but would love to get a formal translation.
Thanks!

BA Ewa WSZELACZYNSKI 1818.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.07 MB

BA Ewa WSZELACZYNSKI 1818.png

BA Baltazar WSZELACZYNSKI 1818 635 of 871.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.39 MB

BA Baltazar WSZELACZYNSKI 1818  635 of 871.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:36 am      Post subject: Re: Nobility titles

zolkie wrote:
Good evening.
I found some birth/baptismal records in FamilySearch which are images from the Roman Catholic parish in Zbaraż.
I've learned the basic things to look for in translating the Latin records, but came across some interesting notations in a couple of the records which I'm curious about. I'm attaching two baptismal records, but I'm most interested in the information listed under the father. I suspect Jósef and Tomasz Wszelaczynski are related somehow, but each has additional information written following their surname. I suspect the information has to do with their standing in the community (is one a judge and one a governor?), but would love to get a formal translation.
Thanks!

Good Morning,

I’ll be glad to translate the documents but I would request that you post the links to the records from Family Search. That will make it much easier to see the text and to provide a more accurate translation.

Thanks.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 163 of 274

Jump to: