PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 43

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:03 pm      Post subject: Mis-spelled first name?

Hi, my cousin forwarded genealogy information related to my mother's side of the family. He has listed a Wawrzyicec Markowski who died 7 Nov 1901 in Milwaukee Wisconsin. His wife's name as listed on her headstone was Bronislawa Markowski, maiden name unknown. She died Nov 1928 in Milwaukee and was known to use the first name Blanche. I cannot find passenger, census information or marriage, death records on either of these people. Is Wawrzyicec perhaps not spelled right? Can anyone help? Children are Joseph, Ignatz, Margaret, Peter, Julia and Lucja.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:44 pm      Post subject: Re: Mis-spelled first name?

Felicia wrote:
Hi, my cousin forwarded genealogy information related to my mother's side of the family. He has listed a Wawrzyicec Markowski who died 7 Nov 1901 in Milwaukee Wisconsin. His wife's name as listed on her headstone was Bronislawa Markowski, maiden name unknown. She died Nov 1928 in Milwaukee and was known to use the first name Blanche. I cannot find passenger, census information or marriage, death records on either of these people. Is Wawrzyicec perhaps not spelled right? Can anyone help? Children are Joseph, Ignatz, Margaret, Peter, Julia and Lucja.

Felicia,
The correct spelling is Wawrzyniec -- see list of common Polish names at http://polandpoland.com/common_polish_names.html
I found marriage information on two of their children (see information below): Julianna Markowska getting married to Jozef Roza on 19 Nov 1902, Milwaukee, WI, bride’s father’s name Wawrzyniec Markowski, bride's mother's name Bronislawa Guzkowska, and Matzovzata [Malgorzata] Markowska (Margaret?) getting married to Jozef Pawlikowski on 12 Jul 1899, Milwaukee, WI, bride's father's name Wawrzyniec Markowski, bride's mother's name Bronistana Guskowske [Bronislawa Guzkowska]. The brides’ birthplaces are given as “Kraseworalki” resp. “Krasrefowalki”. So, the mother's maiden name is Bronislawa Guzkowska, the father's name Wawrzyniec Markowski, the parents most likely got married before they came to the US, and at least the two daughters were born before immigration.
A Markowski family that COULD BE the family you are looking for immigrated via NY, Castle Garden on 4 April 1892 on board of the steamship Anchoria, country of origin Russia, destination in the US Cleveland:
Lorens Markowski [Wawrzyniec = Lawrence/Lorenz in English], age 47, laborer; Bronislawa (misspelled Bronislaw), wife, age 47; children Julie, Lucie, Pjotr [could be Peter], and Malzor [could be Malgorzata/Margaret], the children’s ages are not given. They traveled with Franz Markowski, laborer, age not given.
See http://castlegarden.org/search_02.php?row=0&p_first_name=&p_last_name=Markowski%&co_country=*&province=*&town=*&o_occ=*&m_ship=*&po_port=*&m_arr_date_end=1912&m_arr_date_start=1830&sort=ASC&type=last
I have no access to Castle Garden records, but perhaps someone else has and can help you.
Ute

Name: Jozef Roza
Groom's Birth Date:
Groom's Birthplace: Zuin
Groom's Age:
Bride's Name: Julianna Markowska
Bride's Birth Date:
Bride's Birthplace: Kraseworalki
Bride's Age:
Marriage Date: 19 Nov 1902
Marriage Place: Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Groom's Father's Name: Teodor Roza
Groom's Mother's Name: Apolonia Sumcinska
Bride's Father's Name: Wawrzyniec Markowski
Bride's Mother's Name: Bronislawa Guzkowska
Groom's Race: White
Groom's Marital Status: Unknown
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
Bride's Race: White
Bride's Marital Status: Unknown
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00721-4
System Origin: Wisconsin-EASy
Source Film Number: 1014012
Reference Number: vol.147 p.97 cn 2653
Collection: Wisconsin Marriages, 1836-1930

Groom's Name: Jozef Pawlikowski
Groom's Birth Date:
Groom's Birthplace: Suwatki
Groom's Age:
Bride's Name: Matzovzata Markowska
Bride's Birth Date:
Bride's Birthplace: Krasrefowalki
Bride's Age:
Marriage Date: 12 Jul 1899
Marriage Place: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Groom's Father's Name: Jozef Pawlikowski
Groom's Mother's Name: Agnieszka Manuel
Bride's Father's Name: Wawrzyniec Markowski
Bride's Mother's Name: Bronistana Guskowske
Groom's Race: White
Groom's Marital Status: Unknown
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
Bride's Race: White
Bride's Marital Status: Unknown
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00672-8
System Origin: Wisconsin-EASy
Source Film Number: 1014006
Reference Number: 1787
Collection: Wisconsin Marriages, 1836-1930
Felicia

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:48 pm      Post subject:

Ute, you are wonderful! Thank you so much for finding all this for me! I will forward it on to my cousin who will I'm sure also be immensely grateful!
KKempa

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:30 pm      Post subject:

Looks like a good thread to ask my question...

My mother's step-father (Polish) came from Shveikiv, Galicia (Ukraine). Tonight mom told me that the marriage certificate I found online was for his brother but she didn't know what his name was. The marriage certificate lists his first name as "Kornel". A ship manifest shows, who I think is the same person, as "Komel". The closest I can come to either one using the link provided above for common Polish names is "Kamil". Do you think Kornel and Komel are incorrect spellings of Kamil?
bincoder

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:19 pm      Post subject:

"Kornel" is independent Polish firstname. Now not popular in Poland. In the past few famous Polish persons had firstname Kornel. For example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kornel_Makuszy%C5%84ski

In Poland these 3 firstnames are treated as the same: Kornel, Korneliusz, Korneli. Cornelius is a Roman family name and a masculine given name. It could be derived from Latin cornu "horn".

Equivalent in English for the firstname "Kornel" is Cornelius, Cornel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: