PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 51

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:34 pm      Post subject: help reading handwritten names

Hello,

I'm new here - I've been reading the forums for a couple weeks now and can already see this is a great community & resource.

I hope I am posting this in the right forum... I could use opinions from others on transcribing some of the church records I have found. In recent weeks I have been excited to find entries for my ancestors' records within microfilms from the Family History Library. I am currently focusing on the town of Ryglice and Catholic church records from the 1800's. As excited as I was to find the entries, I am now struggling to interpret the handwritten names correctly.

One example is attached here. This is the 1850 baptismal record for my GG Grandmother Sofia FORYST. I can make out her name and that of her father, but I am having difficulty reading the other names. Does anyone have suggestions on this record, and tips for reading handwritten records in general?

I have also attached text of what I think I have read [and unknown letters within brackets].

Screen shot 2011-09-25 at 3.32.27 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.38 KB
 Viewed:  4418 Time(s)

Screen shot 2011-09-25 at 3.32.27 PM.png

FORYST_baptism_1850.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.82 KB
 Viewed:  4417 Time(s)

FORYST_baptism_1850.jpg

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:30 pm      Post subject:

Brian,

Valentinus = Walenty
hort. = check Latin words in http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/rg/guide/WLLatin.asp#top
Hyacintha = Jacinta
nata Lifak = born Lifal, maiden name
Cunegundis = Kunegunda, Konegunda
Thomas = I read Berth
Maryanna nata Bednar = maybe her surname was shortened due to the lack of space in that column. I have found many people carrying the surname Bednareski.
Michael = Michal Kieca?
Margarita = Margarteth = Malgorzata Kuszawa?

Gilberto
Send e-mail
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:10 pm      Post subject:

Brianminnie~ I highly recommend the book Polish Parish Records of the Roman Catholic Church: Their Use and Understanding in Genealogical Research by Gerald Ortell, published by the Polish Genealogical Society of America. It is for sale from PGSA for $12. When I returned home it helped me greatly in deciphering the records I photographed when I visited by ancestors towns of Rabka and Nowy Targ. It includes chapters on Farmers and Serfdom, Language Considerations, Polish Given Names (with Latin versions), Occupations, and then the actual marriage, baptismal and death records (many expamples given & explained).

Although this will not help you with the deciphering surnames from the handwriting, it will help explain many other parts of the record. As Gilberto indicated Valentinus is Latin for Walenty. This is covered in the book. Hort. stands for hortulanus and that is also explained in the chapter on Farmers and Serfdom.

Good luck with the deciphering - it is a definite struggle for all of us. ~PolishLibrarian
brianminnie

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:35 pm      Post subject:

Gilberto and PolishLibrarian: thank you for your responses, they are very helpful.

I actually have Polish Parish Records of the Roman Catholic Church on order - good to know it should help me.

Gilberto: I had nover considered names might be shortened due to lack of writing space... yet another variable to consider now (as if this wasn't difficult enough already). Smile
brianminnie

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:45 pm      Post subject:

More information (and a request for more eyes on this new record). I found the 1838 marriage entry for the parents of Sofia, whose baptismal record I originally posted.
Gilberto, it seems you were correct in guessing that 'Bednar' in the baptismal was an abbreviation. In this marriage record it reads to me as Bednarronki (but that could be way off). Also, I now see the bride's father had a surname of BAK (a common name in Ryglice). Very helpful to locate this 2nd record and compare to the other one.
If anyone would like to have a try at translating this record I welcome the help. I'm especially lost on the writing at the bottom of the record.

FORYST_1838.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  724.74 KB
 Viewed:  4418 Time(s)

FORYST_1838.jpg

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:46 pm      Post subject:

Not a Latin reader, but I guess it is about the bride's age (she was under age, 17 y.o. and 5 months old).
Ex parte sponsa quo minorennis pupilla (?)....18 Februari
1838 nr. 46.... .... .... Benedict Franciscus Sab.... paroch(us)
I have never found double "rr" in polish records so I guess it must be Bednarzonki or Bednarzowski.
The 'a' in Bak is tailed, so it sounds like Bonk.
Send e-mail
brianminnie

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:22 am      Post subject:

Thank you again Gilberto for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: