PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:00 pm      Post subject: Mastej and Gaboin family origins

I'm looking for where my relatives lived in Poland. I believe Anthony Mastej and Victoria Gaboin married in Poland likely around the late 1800's. I do not know where. How may I find this information?
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:17 pm      Post subject: Re: Mastej and Gaboin family origins

SMM wrote:
I'm looking for where my relatives lived in Poland. I believe Anthony Mastej and Victoria Gaboin married in Poland likely around the late 1800's. I do not know where. How may I find this information?

Do you have any more info about those people? any documents?

PAYPAL: [email protected]
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:44 pm      Post subject:

Anthony and Victoria were married in Detroit Michigan. I found their marriage record on Ancestry.com. He was 24 yrs old and she was 20 yrs old. Date of marriage is Jan 25, 1909. He was a laborer and she was a tobacco worker. Parents of the groom are Michael and Aggie Mastej. Parents of the bride are: Michael and Kate Gaboin. The 1910 census indicates Anthony immigrated in 1905 and Victoria in 1907.

Hope this helps,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:20 pm      Post subject: Re: Mastej and Gaboin family origins

SMM wrote:

Hi,

The marriage record which Cynthia located provides some valuable clues for further research. Both Anthony & Victoria were from the Austrian Partition aka Galicia. The really valuable clue is that the priest who blessed the marriage is Bart. Szczerba, who is listed as the rector (i.e. pastor) of the parish where the marriage took place. From 1905 to 1912 he was the pastor of St. Hedwig in Detroit. The parish marriage register should list the places in Poland where Anthony & Victoria were baptized---info which should direct your research in Europe. If you live near Detroit, there are two places where microfilms of the parish records are available. If not, you can contact the parish office of St. Hedwig. One attachment is a copy of the civil marriage registration and the other is the contact info for St. Hedwig.

Wishing you success in your quest,

Dave

St. Hedwig.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.63 KB
 Viewed:  7635 Time(s)

St. Hedwig.JPG

mar. rec..JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  309.97 KB
 Viewed:  7635 Time(s)

mar. rec..JPG

PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 181

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:17 am      Post subject:

Possible marriage details of Anthony’s parents - 1876 Record #38 Michał Mastej (b ~1841) married Agata Famurat (b ~1850) Married in Dębowiec (8 kms south of Jasło in south eastern Poland in the Rzeszów district). Hopefully parent and town details can be confirmed once you get a hold of Anthony & Victoria’s marriage record and Anthony’s immigration record.
And also possible birth record of Anthony’s father - 11 Sep 1844 Record #41 Michał Mastej born in Nowy Żmigród (16 kms south east of Dębowiec) parents Mateusz Mastej and Marianna Skrzęta

The 1930 USA Census has the following details:
Victoria Mastey (nee GABOR) Head F 40 Poland
Julie Mastey Daughter F 20 Michigan
Michala Mastey Daughter F 18 Michigan
Stella Mastey Daughter F 15 Michigan
Seems to imply that Anthony had already died (between 1915 and 1930) and that Victoria’s maiden name was Gabor.

Good luck with your hunting.
Albertinio

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:38 am      Post subject:

I found the marriage certificate of Antoni Mastej's parents. Antoni's mother came from Osobnica. On November 26, 1876, Michał Mastej and Agata Famurat were married in the bride's parish. Michał was born on September 2, 1841. Agata was born on June 4, 1850.
Albertinio

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:27 am      Post subject:

Albertinio wrote:
I found the marriage certificate of Antoni Mastej's parents. Antoni's mother came from Osobnica. On November 26, 1876, Michał Mastej and Agata Famurat were married in the bride's parish. Michał was born on September 2, 1841. Agata was born on June 4, 1850.
Antoni's father had 3 brothers.
Antoni born on June 8, 1839, married Anna Siwińska in 1865. The wedding took place in Osiek Jasielski. He married the widow Marianna Żydek-Byczek again in 1878. The wedding took place in Osobnica.
Józef born on February 18, 1844, married the widow Katarzyna Zapór-Ropa in 1871. The wedding took place in Osiek.
Wojciech born on March 29, 1851 with Marianna Czarny on September 4, 1894 in Osobnica.
SMM

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:06 am      Post subject: Great Gratitude!

I have been called to Michigan from Georgia these past three years to care for the my Mom the oldest and last surviving sibling of the Anthony (born jewish) and Victoria Mastej Grandchildren. They had seven from Michaline. My Mom, Patricia, passed this last April. These years of care for her have been fulfilling as her daughter, and they have been quite depleting especially now while grieving. I have not seen the notifications regarding your replies until today. As we move forward, my teen daughter and I hope to travel to Poland at some point in the relatively near future to connect to the land and culture of this branch of our lineage. Your generous and kind efforts have great significance to us, especially now.
Thank you dearly!
Stephanie

P.S. For anyone interested in our family history... If I am able to post here their marriage photo, I will. Per Mom's stories, Anthony was co-owner of a successful bakery near St. Hedwig. He passed from an injury related to a bet on lifting a flour barrel while his girls were attending St. Hedwig school. Their daughters were Michaline, Julianna, and Stephanie (Fransician Nun, certified teacher, and registered nurse, Sister Evangeline). Julianna did not marry, she worked and she contributed with great love to the raising of the seven. Michaline and Julius Yuhasz (Austrian-Hungarian/Checkloslovacian) one of the founders of the Railroad Mechanics Union, had these seven children: Patricia, Stephanie, Paul, Gerard, Joseph, Theresa, and Geraldine. Michaline, my Grandmother, spoke Polish in the household with her sisters.
My Mom was very close with Victoria. Victoria showed her how to garden well for food and flowers. This was highly important for the growing family during the Great Depression. Victoria never remarried and wore black the rest of her days. Michalina left St. Hedwig school in 8th grade to work as a nanny, I believe. She eventually worked for Cadillac sewing automobile seats by hand, and then stayed at home raise their family. I remember my Grandmother as highly skilled with her sewing machine. I, as well as Mom and her siblings, was raised in Holy Redeemer Parish near St. Hedwig. I moved to Massachusetts and then Georgia for University studies. I thoroughly enjoyed raising my daughter in Georgia until being called back to Michigan. Although we have been here with good reason for three years, we are still a bit out of place, and when finances improve hope to return to our experience of the all-welcoming, community-oriented, wellness-supportive, nature-loving mountainous/beachy south we know, and yet near future plans remain open. The foothills of Georgia look very similar to the terrain near Osobnica. Also, a couple of shout-outs to the Polish Falcon Club of Detroit where I took gymnastic classes with Mr. Pett, as a young child, and to the Polish Club of Atlanta where I had a most lovely time with the light-hearted intelligent adults while taking a few language classes.
I plan to seek the information suggested here. You all have given us a great start!! Much love to you all! Happy Tuesday Morning! Nostrovia!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: