PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:02 am      Post subject: Looking for info on Fiema /

Hi

My surname, Fiema is Polish (to some extent).
I was born near Wrocław in 1976.
My Father's side originated (as far back as we can trace) in Niepołomice, close to Krakow.
The theory in the family is that this surname originated with some migrants from the Rjieka region of today's Croatia sometime in the 16th century. Rjieka used to be called Fiume.
I visited Niepołomice sometime in the 80's and I remember that the cemetery had a lot of Fiemas.

As far as Polish surnames go and as far as I can tell - this one is not indigenous.
Yesterday I had a conversation with a man from Holland, and he was very surprised to hear I am Polish. He was convinced Fiema was from Friesland in the Netherlands.
But this new "hint" only confuses my search.

What I find interesting is that the spelling of Fiema seems to have survived in Poland without anyone ever adding "ski", "owy" or any other "polszczyzna"

Let me know if you have anything that could shed some light.
Thanks in advance
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:58 am      Post subject:

Tfiema,

This is indeed a rare surname, but I have found some information. Accordingly to Hoffmans' Polish Surnames: origin and meanings (3rd edition) the surname Fiema comes from feminine given name Eufemija (in Greek Εὐφημία [Euphemía] < εὐ [eu],
“good” + φήμη [phḗmē], “omen, fame”.

The name Eufemia is not used anymore in Poland but it was popular in the old Poland. The first mentions about Eufemia name in Poland are from 13th century. It was a popular given name of the princesses from Piast dynasty (the first historical ruling dynasty of Poland).
Visit poster's website
tfiema

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:01 am      Post subject:

Wow! Thanks that's great!
tfiema

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:13 am      Post subject:

That actually strengthens the Rijeka origins. The Saint Euphemia's basilica is very close to Rjieka, and it was originally built in the 1600's. The "Fiemas" that supposedly migrated to the Krakow region were builders hired at some local construction.
KDJANICHA

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:50 pm      Post subject: FIEMA

Hi! My paternal grandmother's last name was Fiema, she lived in Bochnia, near Krakow until 1948, then she moved to Argentina with my father and my aunt....
Her father was IAN FIEMA.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: