PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:10 pm      Post subject: Limanowa,

Does anyone know if Limanowa, is also called Stara Wies. My great grandfather Franciszek Cwik b-1883 said he was from Limanowa, Galicia. But the baptism record I found says Stara Wies, Krakow, Poland. I know there were sometimes different names for villages in German, Russian. So I’m confused. I’m searching for his parents. I know there first names were Thomas Cwik and spouse was Annie. Other than that he did not speak of home once he immigrated to United States abt 1905. I haven’t been able to find death record for either of his parents. I don’t know his mother’s surname. We don’t even know if he had siblings. I’m assuming he did.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:52 pm      Post subject: Re: Limanowa,

Almacwik wrote:
Does anyone know if Limanowa, is also called Stara Wies. My great grandfather Franciszek Cwik b-1883 said he was from Limanowa, Galicia. But the baptism record I found says Stara Wies, Krakow, Poland. I know there were sometimes different names for villages in German, Russian. So I’m confused. I’m searching for his parents. I know there first names were Thomas Cwik and spouse was Annie. Other than that he did not speak of home once he immigrated to United States abt 1905. I haven’t been able to find death record for either of his parents. I don’t know his mother’s surname. We don’t even know if he had siblings. I’m assuming he did.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Hi,

Limanowa was a town and was the site of a RC parish church, Bazylika Matki Boskiej Bolesniej (Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica). Villages which were part of the parish were Lipowa, Stara Wieś, Mordarka, Sowliny, and Szarysz. The parish belonged to the Diocese of Tarnów.

Information found on Family Search has been extracted from records housed in the diocesan archives. Images of the actual records are not currently available online. Copies of the actual record books are found in the parish and in the diocesan archives. The extracted information is helpful, but it is really necessary to obtain the actual record. Here is a link to the parish: http://www.bazylika-limanowa.pl/index.php/o-parafii/parafia Here is a link to information about Limanowa is the Słownik geograficzny: http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_V/232

Franciszek’s parents were Tomasz Cwik and Anna Jasica. His siblings who were indexed on Family Search are Kunegunda (1878) and Jan (1883). Franciszek and those two siblings were all born in house number 56 in Stara Wieś and were baptized in the parish church in Limanowa. Thus there is no contradiction in the information you have for Franciszek. Here is the link to the info on Family Search: https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?givenname=tomasz&surname=cwik&marriage_place=limanowa&spouse_givenname=anna&spouse_surname=jasica&collection_id=1985025&count=20&offset=0

Wishing you success,

Dave

Last edited by dnowicki on Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Almacwik

Post Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:47 pm      Post subject: Limanowa

Thank you for the information. That is exactly what I have narrowed it down to. Where would I go to search for death record. I’ve search ancestory.
Thank you

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:53 pm      Post subject: Re: Limanowa

Almacwik wrote:
Thank you for the information. That is exactly what I have narrowed it down to. Where would I go to search for death record. I’ve search ancestory.
Thank you

Hi,

It appears to me that death records for Limanowa will not be found online at this time. No vital records for the parish are listed for the Polish National Archives. The records on Family Search have neither been digitized nor indexed. The Family Search catalog breaks down the death records for the parish according to the villages which were part of the parish and it does not appear that they would cover the time period you would need. Here is a link to the catalog:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/730495?availability=Family%20History%20Library
I believe that the most viable options would be to contact the parish and hope that the parish priest would be willing to search the books for the records you need or to find someone in Poland who would be willing and able to do the research for you. The option of last resort would be to simply wait and hope for the records you need to be digitized and made available online.

Wishing you a happy new year,

Dave
Almacwik

Post Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:56 pm      Post subject:

Thank you very much for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: