PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
German records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 93, 94, 95  Next
Author

Replies: 61

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:02 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage Record

Kmichael8 wrote:
Mrudnik wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for some assistance with the attached Marriage Record. I am looking for help with deciphering the names of where the groom and witness are from. The bride is listed as being from Gross Schonbruck (which is Szembruk Poland), but I am having a hard time deciphering the other two cities. They look like Gr Ortlem and Oszczewit to me, but I am not sure.

Any help is appreciated.

Michael

Could you provide the name of the parish, the year of the entry and a link to the document, please?

Sure,

The Parish is Szembruk (or Gross Schonbruck), the year is 1848 (November 26) and here is a link to the document on Familysearch:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS8M-3CJ6?i=288&cat=295340 Entry 13

Thanks,
Mike
a4u2fear

Replies: 230

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:40 pm      Post subject:

Michael. Thank you so much! This really helpS!
Kmichael8

Replies: 547

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:38 am      Post subject: Re: Marriage Record

Mrudnik wrote:
Kmichael8 wrote:
Mrudnik wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for some assistance with the attached Marriage Record. I am looking for help with deciphering the names of where the groom and witness are from. The bride is listed as being from Gross Schonbruck (which is Szembruk Poland), but I am having a hard time deciphering the other two cities. They look like Gr Ortlem and Oszczewit to me, but I am not sure.

Any help is appreciated.

Michael

Could you provide the name of the parish, the year of the entry and a link to the document, please?

Sure,

The Parish is Szembruk (or Gross Schonbruck), the year is 1848 (November 26) and here is a link to the document on Familysearch:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS8M-3CJ6?i=288&cat=295340 Entry 13

Thanks,
Mike

Hello Mike,

I would think the witness was residing in Oszczywilk, a “Wohnplatz”, i.e. a settlement too small to form a village and thus belonging to the landed estate (“Gutsbezirk”) of Gajewo. The Catholic parish was Gollub (Polish Golub-Dobrzyń) in the county (Landkreis) Briesen.

Where the groom comes from is a bit more difficult. The name of the place begins with “Gr”, short for “Groß”. If you look at the end of the second word and compare it with the end of the bride’s Christian name, it might not be an “em” but an “au”, so the name could be “Groß Ortlau”. The “Ortlau” might be a wrong spelled and/or understood “Ottlau”, so the groom might be from Groß Ottlau (Polish Otłowiec), Catholic parish Groß Schönwalde.

Hope, this helps.

Best regards,
Michael
Mrudnik

Replies: 61

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:53 am      Post subject: Re: Marriage Record

Kmichael8 wrote:
Mrudnik wrote:
Kmichael8 wrote:
Mrudnik wrote:
Hello,

Any help is appreciated.

Michael

Sure,

Thanks,
Mike

Hello Mike,

I would think the witness was residing in Oszczywilk, a “Wohnplatz”, i.e. a settlement too small to form a village and thus belonging to the landed estate (“Gutsbezirk”) of Gajewo. The Catholic parish was Gollub (Polish Golub-Dobrzyń) in the county (Landkreis) Briesen.

Where the groom comes from is a bit more difficult. The name of the place begins with “Gr”, short for “Groß”. If you look at the end of the second word and compare it with the end of the bride’s Christian name, it might not be an “em” but an “au”, so the name could be “Groß Ortlau”. The “Ortlau” might be a wrong spelled and/or understood “Ottlau”, so the groom might be from Groß Ottlau (Polish Otłowiec), Catholic parish Groß Schönwalde.

Hope, this helps.

Best regards,
Michael

Thank you Michael,

I had suspected that Gross Ottlau was what the grooms village was - thank you for confirming. I was unaware of what the witness village was, so you have been very helpful.

Michael
Mhimy

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:37 pm      Post subject: translation of names

I am trying to figure out who the parents are of Ester Henie Knop on this birth record of her son Schloma Hersch. She is my great-great grandmother and she married Moses Yosel Knop. It seems to me Ester's parents are Salamon and _____ (Melamed?) but I cannot deciper the handwriting. Also I would like to get a translation of the two paragraphs i included in the closeup image. I know they were residing in Bolszowce, Poland (Galicia) but I don't understand the other words. I've included the larger documents so you can see the titles of the columns. I am mainly interested in the column for the mother and her parents. Thank you.

SCHLOMA HERSCH KNOP BIRTH RECORD.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.98 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

SCHLOMA HERSCH KNOP BIRTH RECORD.jpg

CLOSEUP SCHLOMA HERSCH KNOP.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  336.63 KB

CLOSEUP SCHLOMA HERSCH KNOP.png

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:51 am      Post subject: Re: translation of names

Mhimy wrote:
I am trying to figure out who the parents are of Ester Henie Knop on this birth record of her son Schloma Hersch. She is my great-great grandmother and she married Moses Yosel Knop. It seems to me Ester's parents are Salamon and _____ (Melamed?) but I cannot deciper the handwriting. Also I would like to get a translation of the two paragraphs i included in the closeup image. I know they were residing in Bolszowce, Poland (Galicia) but I don't understand the other words. I've included the larger documents so you can see the titles of the columns. I am mainly interested in the column for the mother and her parents. Thank you.

Hello

The newborn child was Schloma Hersch Knop (column 4). The parents weren’t married at that time (see the comment “unehelich” in column 5, you will find the same comment for all children on this page). Thus in the heading of column 6 is a handwritten addition “angeblicher Vater” or alleged father. This was Moses Josel Knop, a tailor (“Schneider”) residing in Bolszowce (entry 21 in column 6). The mother was Ester Henie Knap, a maid (I read the word after the name as “dient”, so she was a servant or a maid like all the other mothers on this page) in Bolszowce, daughter of (“Tochter des”) Salamon u.[nd] Misir Melamed residing in Bolszowce (entry 21 in column 7).

Best regards,
Michael
Mhimy

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:13 pm      Post subject: Basze Knop birth record

Please see below the full page containing Basze Knop's birth record and the closeup. I am trying to translate the information in the columns naming her father and her mother (and her mother's parents). Kindly translate the columns on my closeup. I am grateful for your assistance.
Thanks,
Maddy Himy

closeup of Basze Knop birth record.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  295.83 KB

closeup of Basze Knop birth record.png

basze knop birth record.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.91 MB

basze knop birth record.jpg

treich

Replies: 167

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:39 pm      Post subject: Request for help

The following is my attempt at transcribing the following death record. Can someone please review the transcription and translation, filling in the blanks and making corrections.

Thanks

Here is the what I have got so far.

Geschehen in Rypin den einundzwanzigsten Oktober das Jahr eintausend neunhundert achtzehn, um drei Uhr nachmittags. Es erschien: Johann Klammer, Landwirt aus Kleszczyn, neunundsechzig Jahren, mit Christian Hinkelmann, Landwirt aus Kleszczyn, sechsundvierzig Jahren alt, und zeigten uns, daß seine Schwester Anna Treichel geboren Klammer, Tochter des verstorbenen Johann Klammer und der verstorbenen Euphrosine geboren Repke, Ehefrau des verstorbenen Andreas Treichel, Lehrer aus Kleszczyn, geboren in Krupianka, _, um sechs Uhr morgens im Alter von dreiundseibzig Jahren in Kleszczyn verstorben. Nachdem wir uns von ihrem Sterben überzeugt haben ist dieser Akt den des _ und nur von uns unterschrieben worden.

Untitled.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90 KB

Untitled.jpg

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:52 am      Post subject: Re: Request for help

treich wrote:
The following is my attempt at transcribing the following death record. Can someone please review the transcription and translation, filling in the blanks and making corrections.

Thanks

Here is the what I have got so far.

Geschehen in Rypin den einundzwanzigsten Oktober das Jahr eintausend neunhundert achtzehn, um drei Uhr nachmittags. Es erschien: Johann Klammer, Landwirt aus Kleszczyn, neunundsechzig Jahren, mit Christian Hinkelmann, Landwirt aus Kleszczyn, sechsundvierzig Jahren alt, und zeigten uns, daß seine Schwester Anna Treichel geboren Klammer, Tochter des verstorbenen Johann Klammer und der verstorbenen Euphrosine geboren Repke, Ehefrau des verstorbenen Andreas Treichel, Lehrer aus Kleszczyn, geboren in Krupianka, _, um sechs Uhr morgens im Alter von dreiundseibzig Jahren in Kleszczyn verstorben. Nachdem wir uns von ihrem Sterben überzeugt haben ist dieser Akt den des _ und nur von uns unterschrieben worden.

Hello

You already got most of it. Please find attached some minor corrections and the filled in blanks, all written in bold. The main points are: Anna died “am heutigen Tage” or today and the document was read to the witnesses because they could not write (“den des Schreibens unkundigen Anwesenden vorgelesen”).

Geschehen in Rypin den einundzwanzigsten Oktober des Jahres eintausend neunhundert und achtzehn, um drei Uhr nachmittags. Es erschien: Johann Klammer, Landwirt aus Kleszczyn, neunundsechzig Jahre, mit Christian Hinkelmann, Landwirt aus Kleszczyn, sechsundvierzig Jahre alt, und zeigte an, daß seine Schwester Anna Treichel geborene [This word seems to be misspelled. What is written looks like “gorenne“, what is meant should be “geborene“ or born.] Klammer, Tochter des verstorbenen Johann Klammer und der verstorbenen Euphrosine geboren Repke, Ehefrau des verstorbenen Andreas Treichel, Lehrers aus Kleszczyn, geboren in Krupianka, am heutigen Tage, um sechs Uhr morgens im Alter von dreiundsiebzig Jahren in Kleszczyn verstorben ist. Nachdem wir uns von ihrem Ableben überzeugt haben ist dieser Akt den des Schreibens unkundigen Anwesenden vorgelesen und nur von uns unterschrieben worden.

Best regards,
Michael
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:49 am      Post subject: Re: Basze Knop birth record

Mhimy wrote:
Please see below the full page containing Basze Knop's birth record and the closeup. I am trying to translate the information in the columns naming her father and her mother (and her mother's parents). Kindly translate the columns on my closeup. I am grateful for your assistance.
Thanks,
Maddy Himy

Hello Maddy

Basze Knop’s father was Salman Misen, a “Kinderlehrer”, literally a children’s teacher in Bolszowce. Her mother was Ester Heny Knop, daughter of Moses Joseph Knop, a “Kirschner” or furrier in Bolszowce. Ester Heny Knop’s mother is not mentioned.

Best regards,
Michael
Mhimy

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:02 am      Post subject: Mania Melamed death record

Thank you for your help on previous translations. I have one more. I have provided the full record and the closeup. Please translate the information on Mania Melamed. Thanks!

mania melamed death record closeup.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  227.88 KB

mania melamed death record closeup.png

mania melamed death record.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  315.67 KB

mania melamed death record.jpg

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:13 am      Post subject: Re: Mania Melamed death record

Mhimy wrote:
Thank you for your help on previous translations. I have one more. I have provided the full record and the closeup. Please translate the information on Mania Melamed. Thanks!

Hello Maddy

The entries in this document are written in Polish, so it might be better to post it in the Polish records translation thread.

Best regards,
Michael
BD

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:36 pm      Post subject: Re: Hamburg Ship's Record

Hello!

Just reposting this to see if anyone can help?

Thanks so much!

BD wrote:
I'm trying to find out what the name of the town/village is on the record attached below. It's the one at the bottom left and looks like "Labornin." The image is from a German ship's record from 1880, but I believe that the actual place is, or was, in Poland. Can anyone help?

Thank you!

t_screen_shot_2019_02_22_at_62027_pm_437.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.08 KB

t_screen_shot_2019_02_22_at_62027_pm_437.png

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1026

Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:20 pm      Post subject: Re: Hamburg Ship's Record

BD wrote:
Hello!

Just reposting this to see if anyone can help?

Thanks so much!

BD wrote:
I'm trying to find out what the name of the town/village is on the record attached below. It's the one at the bottom left and looks like "Labornin." The image is from a German ship's record from 1880, but I believe that the actual place is, or was, in Poland. Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Hi,
I'm not having much success in figuring out what Prussian town this is. However, what you are seeing as "RN" looks more like "Z" or maybe "RZ" to me. Also, I am not convinced that the first letter is an "L" (could it possibly be a "Z"?). If you have access to a larger area of this page that the image is from, it would be helpful to see how this writer forms particular letters. So, for example, if you can find a place where something very recognizable is written, where you know the first letter is L or the first letter is Z, it would be helpful in deciphering this.
Best of luck,
Sophia
BD

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:53 pm      Post subject: Re: Hamburg Ship's Record

Hi,
I'm not having much success in figuring out what Prussian town this is. However, what you are seeing as "RN" looks more like "Z" or maybe "RZ" to me. Also, I am not convinced that the first letter is an "L" (could it possibly be a "Z"?). If you have access to a larger area of this page that the image is from, it would be helpful to see how this writer forms particular letters. So, for example, if you can find a place where something very recognizable is written, where you know the first letter is L or the first letter is Z, it would be helpful in deciphering this.
Best of luck,
Sophia[/quote]

Hi!

Thanks for your suggestion. I've attached the full page to see if that helps at all. The "L" seems to match the "L" in Liverpool above, and the "b" matches the "b" in October. The "i" is definitely an "i" given the dot above it. The "n" probably matches the "n" in queen. Small "o" matches the "o" in October. But that letter in the middle is unclear. Unfortunately there's no other z on the page to compare it to.

S_13154_080806-0495 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  700.29 KB

S_13154_080806-0495 (1).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 93, 94, 95  Next Page 25 of 95

Jump to: