PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Pennsylvania coal miners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Author

Replies: 13

Post Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:33 pm      Post subject: Coal Miners

I know this is an old post, but just in case, has anyone heard of the mining families Winkel or Harzinski (Charzynska). They lived and worked in Jefferson County, PA in various mines.
I've been chasing my grandfather Leo Winkle for years, but have been unable to find where and with whom he came from in Eastern Europe at age 12 and why. Also, he disappeared from the records from age 12 to age 20. Al.
Wally1049

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:06 pm      Post subject: Coal mining in the Wyoming Valley/ Northeast Pa.

I will be posting links to coal mining in the Wyoming Valley In a couple of days. I may not be able to post on forum . I will try. If not try contacting me at
[email protected] and I will send a connection to the web site through your personal e-mails
Send e-mail
Dza

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:39 pm      Post subject: Schuykill miners

I also have family that migrated then became coal miners, I found a few pictures of my great grandmother brothers and sons in the mines, I also found an article of an accident that one of the brothers were injured in. Apparently my family was well known in the community. I’m trying to find out any info on where they came from, all the documents say either Poland, Europe or Lithuania which isn’t of much help.
Wally1049

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:52 am      Post subject: Coal miners

My search only does the Wyoming Valley
Send e-mail
Bohacek

Replies: 40

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:24 am      Post subject: Wroblewski family coal miners

Greetings,

I ran across this forum and I think its great. My ancestors from my mother's mother side were the Wroblewski's from Lomza (Russian) Poland. Florian first came to the United States on March 20 1894 then returned back to Poland around late 1894 - 1895. Florian returned to The United States with his family on April 4 1901, destination Shenandoah Pennsylvania to see (uncle) Elnard Dombrosky.

Florian Wroblewski worked in the coal mines in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania , Gary, West Virginia, and around West Hazelton Pennsylvania Wyoming Valley area. Florian's Brother, Frank worked in the same areas as well as Florian's brother in laws, Walter and Bronislaw Modelski along another brother in law, Vincent Chwastek.

Any information or records on my ancestors would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Send e-mail
adamsam

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:48 am      Post subject: Re: Wroblewski family coal miners

Bohacek wrote:
Greetings,

I ran across this forum and I think its great. My ancestors from my mother's mother side were the Wroblewski's from Lomza (Russian) Poland. Florian first came to the United States on March 20 1894 then returned back to Poland around late 1894 - 1895. Florian returned to The United States with his family on April 4 1901, destination Shenandoah Pennsylvania to see (uncle) Elnard Dombrosky.

Florian Wroblewski worked in the coal mines in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania , Gary, West Virginia, and around West Hazelton Pennsylvania Wyoming Valley area. Florian's Brother, Frank worked in the same areas as well as Florian's brother in laws, Walter and Bronislaw Modelski along another brother in law, Vincent Chwastek.

Any information or records on my ancestors would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Did a quick search and ran across this. I don't know if this is the same family but this is what I found
Florian Wroblewski wed Justyna Modelska Parish: Lomza Act 94 year 1982.
A scan of the marriage is available and the link to it http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=15&zs=0514d&sy=1892&kt=2&plik=094-095.jpg#zoom=1&x=0&y=0
I hope this is it - Good luck with your search. By the way, my grandfather came to U. S. from same province of Poland, ended up in coal mines, Shenandoah, Pa. married in Shenandoah raised family and the story goes on.
Bohacek

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:08 am      Post subject:

Yes! I already have this record but thanks!

If you want to share your grandfathers name, ill be happy to see in my research if I can find information on him. I have much information in Poland on the Wroblewski's ...very little when they came to Pennsylvania and the coal miner life.

"and the story goes" I like that. So true.

Thanks again.
Send e-mail
adamsam

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:28 am      Post subject:

Bohacek wrote:
Yes! I already have this record but thanks!

If you want to share your grandfathers name, ill be happy to see in my research if I can find information on him. I have much information in Poland on the Wroblewski's ...very little when they came to Pennsylvania and the coal miner life.

"and the story goes" I like that. So true.

Thanks again.

I have no problem with that but I believe I have most all records from Poland and existing Polish relatives. I have made 2 trips to Poland thru Polish Origins, 2015 and 2018. Presently researching Samelko family from Lawsk area and Wasosz parish. My grandfather, Jan Samelko and family was from the Romany area and I have an extensive family tree on My Heritage Family Tree Builder. If you try this website: https://www.familysearch.org/search/ you may uncover records and it is a free site, only need to set up user account. Final question, do you reside in U.S.A. or Poland; just curious.Many thanks for your assistance to help.
Adam
Bohacek

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:43 am      Post subject:

You seemed like you knew your information, Adam, never the less with all whats going on, I have extra time on my hands and thought I could do some good and help. I also have a large tree but on Ancestry. I have used family search as well as other sites and its been a work in progress, of course this site has helped a lot. I gathered much information however there is still some information I cant seem to find...yet.

Thanks for writing back and offering to help.

Oh, I live in the U.S.A.

Best Regards

John
Send e-mail
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:16 am      Post subject: An article recommendation

Hello,

At the request of one of our Forum members, Gerald https://polishorigins.com/userinfo/?uid=310
I would like to recommend you the text about Polish Miners in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania written by Sister M. Accursia, Bern., O.S.F.

It was published in the Polish American Studies, volume 3 from 1946 and it is available here: https://www.jstor.org/stable/20147059. Please note that it is available for registered users only, but as I've checked reading 100 articles per month is free of charge.

It might be a great source of information about the Polish immigrants in Pennsylvania.
Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Page 7 of 7

Jump to: