PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Kozlowski Research
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:56 pm      Post subject: Kozlowski Research

I've attached a copy of my great-grandmother's brother's (Stefan Kozlowski) baptism certificate. My main question is: "What city are they from"? It looks like Kazimierz? But I'm not sure where that is? A few different cities pop up in my map search. On their passenger manifest from the ship they took to the US said that they were from "Kasmira". On Stefen's naturalization form it said they last place he lived was Nowy Lisiec.

I can't find any records for any of them on the BaSIA database nor the Poznan project site.

Here is what I know Stefan's parents (my 2nd great grandparents):
Joseph Anthony Kozlowski - (born 01 Nov 1881) married to Kathrine Dudek (born about 1882)

Their Children born in Poland before they came over:
Stefan (born 14 Nov 1902) and Janina (Born 3 Jun 1904)

Joseph Anthony Kozlowski's Parents: Wawrzyn Kozlowski and Mary Sikorski (I have no information on them at all)

Any help is very much appreciated! Thank you!

Stefan Kozlowski Baptism.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  155.84 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Stefan Kozlowski Baptism.jpg

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:29 pm      Post subject: Re: Kozlowski Research

lindqm2 wrote:
I've attached a copy of my great-grandmother's brother's (Stefan Kozlowski) baptism certificate. My main question is: "What city are they from"? It looks like Kazimierz? But I'm not sure where that is? A few different cities pop up in my map search. On their passenger manifest from the ship they took to the US said that they were from "Kasmira". On Stefen's naturalization form it said they last place he lived was Nowy Lisiec.

I can't find any records for any of them on the BaSIA database nor the Poznan project site.

Joseph Anthony Kozlowski - (born 01 Nov 1881) married to Kathrine Dudek (born about 1882)

Joseph Anthony Kozlowski's Parents: Wawrzyn Kozlowski and Mary Sikorski (I have no information on them at all)

The parish name is Lisiec Wielki. Here is the original act. What is interesting the original act was at number 95, not 97.

Translation of the original document written in russian:

Kazimierów
Nr 95

It happened in the village Lisiec Wielki on the 3rd/16th day of November 1902, at 1 p.m.
Appeared Józef Kozłowski, worker from Kazimierów, 22 years old, in the presence of Tomasz Gmachowski, 30 years old and Wojciech Deredziński, 40 years old, both farmers from Kazimierów and presented Us a male child born in Kazimierów on the 1st/14th day of November of the current year, at 4 a.m. with his legal wife Katarzyna nee Dudek, 27 years old.
At The Holy Baptism, held today, By Us, the child was given the name Stefan and the godparents were: Andrzej Kozłowski and Łucja Dudek.
This act was read to the illiterate declarant and witnesses and signed by Us.

Priest Zabłocki, serving as Civil Registrar.

original.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.17 MB

original.jpg

PAYPAL: [email protected]

Last edited by marcelproust on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:33 pm      Post subject: Re: Kozlowski Research

lindqm2 wrote:

Hi,

They lived in the village of Kazimierów which was part of the parish of Lisiec Wielki in the diocese of Włocławek. During the 19th Century and early 20th Century (until after WWI) the are was within Russian Poland (Królestwo Polskie), which, together with the fact that the marriage of his parents (1902) is out of the Project's range probably account for why the marriage is not indexed in the Poznan Project. The parish church where the baptism took place is that of St. John the Baptist (św. Jana Chrzciciela) in Lisiec Wielki. Here is a link to info about the parish: http://diecezja.samba.com.pl/pl,parafia,sw_jana_chrzciciela,199,1.html#tresc_strony

All the places you mentioned are visible on the attached map.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Screenshot_2020-01-13 mapa szukacz pl - Mapa Polski z planami miast.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  556.8 KB

Screenshot_2020-01-13 mapa szukacz pl - Mapa Polski z planami miast.png

Last edited by dnowicki on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:38 pm      Post subject: Re: Kozlowski Research

lindqm2 wrote:

The parish name is Lisiec Wielki. Here is the original act. What is interesting the original act was at number 95, not 97.

Translation of the original document written in russian:

Kazimierów
Nr 95

It happened in the village Lisiec Wielki on the 3rd/16th day of November 1902, at 1 p.m.
Appeared Józef Kozłowski, worker from Kazimierów, 22 years old, in the presence of Tomasz Gmachowski, 30 years old and Wojciech Deredziński, 40 years old, both farmers from Kazimierów and presented Us a male child born in Kazimierów on the 1st/14th day of November of the current year, at 4 a.m. with his legal wife Katarzyna nee Dudek, 27 years old.
At The Holy Baptism, held today, By Us, the child was given the name Stefan and the godparents were: Andrzej Kozłowski and Łucja Dudek.

original.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.17 MB

original.jpg

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:59 pm      Post subject:

This is Stefan Kozłowski and Katarzyna Dudek's marriage record:

Lisiec Nowy
and
Grabowa
Nr 4

It happened in the village Lisiec Wielki on the 8th/21st day of January 1902, at 3 p.m.
We make it known that in the presence of the witnesses: Franciszek Perliński, 28 years old and Walenty Wieczorek, 35 years old, both farmers from Lisiec Nowy, a religious marriage was concluded on this day, between:

Józef Kozłowski, a single man, 21 years old, son of legal spouses: Wawrzyniec Kozłowski and Marianna Kozłowska nee Sikorska, workers. Born in Główiew and living with his parents in Grabowa

and

Katarzyna Dudek, a miss, 21 years old, daughter of Józef Dudek, farmer and his deceased legal wife Katarzyna Dudek nee Filipiak. Born and living with her father in Lisiec Nowy.

This marriage was preceded by the 3 banns of marriage announced on the 3 consecutive Sundays in two parish churches in Lisiec Wielki and Rychwał villages, on: 23rd day of December of the previous year/5th day of January of the current year, 30th day of December of the previous year/12th day of January of the current year and 6th/19th day of January of the current year.

Newlyweds declared they did not make prenuptial agreement.
Religious marriage ceremony celebrated by the priest Sebastian Zabłocki, Lisiec Wielki parish's parson.

marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  919.5 KB

marriage.jpg

Last edited by marcelproust on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
lindqm2

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:40 pm      Post subject:

This is all amazing!!! Thank you so much for all this information! I'm beyond excited and thankful! I can't wait to share this all with my mom, aunt, and uncle. This is all very cool. Thank you for the document, AND generous translation. Also thank you for the link of the actual church. I can't wait to find out more about the other 3 Polish families. This is so cool. Thank you both again!!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:04 pm      Post subject:

lindqm2 wrote:
This is all amazing!!! Thank you so much for all this information! I'm beyond excited and thankful! I can't wait to share this all with my mom, aunt, and uncle. This is all very cool. Thank you for the document, AND generous translation. Also thank you for the link of the actual church. I can't wait to find out more about the other 3 Polish families. This is so cool. Thank you both again!!

Hi again,

If you click on the parish website link the parish history states that the contemporary church structure was built from 1878 to 1885 to replace the previous building which had been destroyed in a storm. The picture of the exterior of the church shows the building in which Stefan was baptized and his parents were married.

It is cool when the search turns out to be successful.

Dave
lindqm2

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:41 pm      Post subject:

That's very cool! The church was consecrated in 1901, so it was brand new when they got married there in 1902. So neat! Thanks again!

Yes, this is one of the easier ones of my 4 sets of great grandparents to research. I don't know how I'm going to find anything on my great grandfather Jozef Leszkiewicz, since I don't know his parents names or siblings, just that he was maybe born in Gombin on 10 Feb 1895. He came over to the US in 1903. The only thing my mom was told was that they possibly changed their name to Leszkiewicz when they were fleeing the Russians. That's going to be a tough one!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:58 pm      Post subject:

lindqm2 wrote:
That's very cool! The church was consecrated in 1901, so it was brand new when they got married there in 1902. So neat! Thanks again!

Yes, this is one of the easier ones of my 4 sets of great grandparents to research. I don't know how I'm going to find anything on my great grandfather Jozef Leszkiewicz, since I don't know his parents names or siblings, just that he was maybe born in Gombin on 10 Feb 1895. He came over to the US in 1903. The only thing my mom was told was that they possibly changed their name to Leszkiewicz when they were fleeing the Russians. That's going to be a tough one!

Hi,

You are correct that Leszkiewicz will not be super easy. Before trying to research in Poland there is work which needs to be done on this side of the pond first. If he lived in Evanston, Illinois this is probably the link to find his petition for naturalization, which usually contains some valuable clues:
http://www.cookcountyclerkofcourt.org/nr/default.aspx Attached is a screen shot where the name and date of birth match up quite well. However, the date of arrival in the US is 1913 rather than 1903. This date makes much more sense if he came over as a young man. In 1903 he would have been 8 years old whereas in 1913 he would have been 18. A goodly number of men left Russian Poland as they were approaching conscription age. There was no future in being in the Czar’s infantry unless one had a death wish. I would recommend ordering the naturalization papers if you believe that this Joseph is your man. Also, I would tend to discount a lot of stories related by family members. Sometimes you can spend countless hours searching for something which is a false lead. Also, the place of origin often can be another false lead. When it says that he was born in Warsaw it probably means that he was born in gubierna warszawska (the province of Warsaw) rather than in the city. Gombin is also a problem in that such a place name is not found. Just to add a bit more confusion there is an Aleksander Leszkiewicz who sailed from Rotterdam on the SS Rijndam in 1912 and was going to his brother Joseph in Evanston. He also claimed to be from Gumbin (a phonetic variant of Gombin). But the same problem exists in that the place does not seem to exist. My guess is that the place is probably Gąbin, which does exist. (Cf. attached map). The Polish letter ą can sound similar to om in English.
Anyway, here is a link to his arrival record at Ellis Island:
https://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger-details/czoxMjoiMTAwOTMwMDQwNDI2Ijs=/czo4OiJtYW5pZmVzdCI7
The above may provide clues, but there is still much research to be done.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Screenshot_2020-01-13 Cook County Clerk of the Circuit Court Search the Naturalization Declarations of Intention.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  411.68 KB

Screenshot_2020-01-13 Cook County Clerk of the Circuit Court Search the Naturalization Declarations of Intention.png

Screenshot_2020-01-13 mapa szukacz pl -gabin.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  739.3 KB

Screenshot_2020-01-13 mapa szukacz pl -gabin.png

lindqm2

Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:46 am      Post subject:

Great information! Thank you! I was able to find Joseph (Transcribed as Josef Leszkrenrez) on the passenger list for the ship arriving on 29May1913 (which also listed Gombin as his birthplace, which I agree with you, is probably Gabin). If that Alexander isn't his brother, he very well be a cousin. I'll keep it in my notes.

I didn't know about the Cook County clerk website. I will use that to check out my Klimas relatives. Great tip!!

Through researching over the past month, I'm surprised at how many people have the same name. That's really eye-opening to me. Even in the Chicago area there are dozens of people with the same name. I love researching and history. Also, I discovered that my "German" ancestors on my father's side of my family are from a town called Doltiz in Pomerania, which is now Dolice, Poland - which is just a few hours away.
Thanks again for the help! Smile
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:38 am      Post subject:

lindqm2 wrote:
Great information! Thank you! I was able to find Joseph (Transcribed as Josef Leszkrenrez) on the passenger list for the ship arriving on 29May1913 (which also listed Gombin as his birthplace, which I agree with you, is probably Gabin). If that Alexander isn't his brother, he very well be a cousin. I'll keep it in my notes.

I didn't know about the Cook County clerk website. I will use that to check out my Klimas relatives. Great tip!!

Through researching over the past month, I'm surprised at how many people have the same name. That's really eye-opening to me. Even in the Chicago area there are dozens of people with the same name. I love researching and history. Also, I discovered that my "German" ancestors on my father's side of my family are from a town called Doltiz in Pomerania, which is now Dolice, Poland - which is just a few hours away.
Thanks again for the help! Smile

Hi,

A couple more sources on this side of the pond which may help you to determine the names of the parents of Józef: 1. Contact the parish where he married and request either a copy of the entry in the marriage register (or second best—a transcription of the entry). Parents’ names are almost always included. Although the record is not a primary source for the parents’ names, it is a good source since Józef would have been the person providing the info. Keep in mind that the wedding usually took place in the parish of the bride. If they married in Evanston, Ascension is a good bet for the parish. 2. Obtain a copy of his death certificate and/or obituary. The info is father removed from being a primary source since someone else gave the info. However, sometimes it does provide clues. 3. Ordering a copy of the naturalization papers usually provides good info.

Here are a few links to helpful sites for Cook County research: https://genealogy.cookcountyclerk.com/
For Census Enumeration Districts, Chicago street name and address changes a valuable resource is https://alookatcook.info/
Here is a link to an Illinois statewide genealogy site from the office of the Secretary of State https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/databases/home.html

Another helpful site is the Polish Genealogical Society of America (in Chicago). Here is the link: https://pgsa.org/

Illinois in general and Cook County in particular is/are very easy to research for genealogy. A fee is charged for certificates, but not all the good things in life are free.

Since Chi-town had the largest Polish population of any city except Warsaw it is inevitable that there would be people who share the same name. When I was growing up on the Southeast Side we lived on the 8100 block of Manistee and there was another family living on the 8400 block of Manistee with the same surname—and even more coincidental—both mothers had the same given name and had sons who also had the same given name. Small world.

Good luck with the search.

Dave
lindqm2

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:11 pm      Post subject:

Thanks again for the info! Super helpful! How would I go about getting the wedding record information from Ascension Church? It looks like the church changed it's name to: St. Mary's Syro-Malankara Catholic Church. Do I just call them?

I looked up that Aleksander Leszkiewicz also from Gambin and he lived in Evanston as well. On HIS death record it stated that his

Father's Name: Thomas Leszkiewicz and
Mother's Name: Frances Kralza.

On the passenger manifest for my Jozef Leszkiewicz, it had that his father was Thomas Leszkiewicz as well. So I'm hoping that Aleksander (born 12 Feb 1891) and Jozef (born 10 Feb 1895) are brothers.

Dave or Marcel: Any thoughts on how I could find records in Gąbin for the Leszkiewicz's? To find more ancestors? and/or to prove they were from there and if those are their parents? I'm not finding anything on them in the 6 or so Polish birth records websites I've found.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:31 pm      Post subject:

lindqm2 wrote:
Thanks again for the info! Super helpful! How would I go about getting the wedding record information from Ascension Church? It looks like the church changed it's name to: St. Mary's Syro-Malankara Catholic Church. Do I just call them?

I looked up that Aleksander Leszkiewicz also from Gambin and he lived in Evanston as well. On HIS death record it stated that his

Father's Name: Thomas Leszkiewicz and
Mother's Name: Frances Kralza.

On the passenger manifest for my Jozef Leszkiewicz, it had that his father was Thomas Leszkiewicz as well. So I'm hoping that Aleksander (born 12 Feb 1891) and Jozef (born 10 Feb 1895) are brothers.

Dave or Marcel: Any thoughts on how I could find records in Gąbin for the Leszkiewicz's? To find more ancestors? and/or to prove they were from there and if those are their parents? I'm not finding anything on them in the 6 or so Polish birth records websites I've found.

Hi

The records from Ascension parish are now housed at the Archdiocese of Chicago’s Joseph Cardinal Bernardin Archives and Records Center
711 West Monroe Street
Chicago, Illinois 60661

Here is a link to the Archives with contact info: https://archives.archchicago.org/about-us/contact-us
It appears that Sylvia Manzo is the person to contact. Make it clear that you would like a copy of the entry in the marriage register, not a certificate. Here is a link to a list of closed parishes whose records are in the archives:
https://archives.archchicago.org/documents/1004501/1006364/Archives-and-Records_Closed-Parishes-Schools-Orphanages_June-2019.pdf/32c281c6-0736-4040-8869-85f6ea147725

The probable reason that the records are in the archdiocesan archives rather than in the parish is that the current congregation belongs to one of the Eastern Rites of the Catholic Church rather than the Latin Rite. The Eastern Rites have their own dioceses and are not part of the Archdiocese of Chicago.

Geneteka does not have the years you would need for the births of Józef and of Aleksander indexed. There are some rather large gaps. Here is the link to the birth records for Gąbin: http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=07mz&rid=2184&search_lastname=leszkiewicz&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=

The name of the parish church in Gąbin was St. Nicholas (św. Mikołaja). Here is a link to a description of the places where records for that parish are held: https://parafie.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=pr&pid=1862 The archives of the Archdiocese of Płock seems to have the largest holding, but again not for the 1890s. The books housed at the parish begin with 1900. Probably your best bet would be Family Search. Here is a link to their holdings for Gąbin: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=70932&query=%2Bplace%3A%22Poland%2C%20Warszawa%2C%20G%C4%85bin%20(Gostynin)%22&subjectsOpen=463772-50
The books have internal indexes but the trick is that they are in Russian.

Wishing you good luck,

Dave
lindqm2

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:47 am      Post subject:

Thank you!!! This helps a lot! I did look on Geneteka, that makes sense now to know that there are gaps in their records. Thank you for the explanation on how to find the marriage register and the clarification of what I should ask for! Also the different Rites of the church. This is all super helpful and I love learning all these new things!

One more question: For the Family search, does that mean it's only available on microfilm and not online? Can it only be viewed in Salt Lake City? I've seen things about people having microfilm sent to a local family center or something?
lindqm2

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:28 pm      Post subject:

Ok, I finally figured out how to view them, I think. What would I look for next to the number of the record: Gabin? or Mikolaja?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Page 1 of 3

Jump to: