PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:23 am      Post subject: Re: Baptism record from 1870

wavydave wrote:
Hi Dave - can you please let me know if I'm reading this baptism record from 1780 correctly? The infant baptised (on June 23 in Wasylkow) was named Antoni and was the son of noble Stefan Borowski and Marianna. Am I correct?

Hi Dave,

Your reading is basically correct but a few tweaks will give you additional information. The child was given two names—Ignacy Antoni. The Latin reads “N(omin)ibus Ignatium Antonium” (“With the names Ignacy Antoni”). Another bit of information is the maiden name of the mother, which appears, apparently as an afterthought, above the final three letters of the mother’s given name (Mariannae). That part of the entry begins with “de” and ends with the final letters of the surname “skie” (of/née ….ski). Unfortunately I am not able to tell you her maiden name since I’m not able to determine all the letters of the name—especially the all important initial letters. Perhaps you’ll get a better handle on the name by trying to enlarge that portion of the image. Some of the other letters are problematic in that they appear to merge/overlap letters in the line above and the line below. A final tidbit—nobilis (Polish: szlachetny) was an adjective used to describe a member of the szlachta who was either an outright owner or a leaseholder of a parcel of land. His title in Polish would have been “Pan”.

Finally, the entry states that the child was born in Wasylkow. Whether or not he was also baptized there depends on whether or not that place was the site of the local parish. The date of the baptism was, as you said, June 23. His date of birth is not included in the entry.

Sorry that I can’t provide more info about the mother’s maiden name.

Hoping this clarifies the entry a bit,

Dave
EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 370

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:06 pm      Post subject: Daniszewski record

Hi Dave!

Here is what I know about this record. Death record of Antoni Daniszewski, March 28, 1826 in Knyszyn. Parents are Joachim Daniszewski and Rozalia Urbanowicz.

Does this say that Joachim's father's name is Hyacinth and Rozalia's father's name is Kazmierz?

Anything else I am missing? Thanks!

Daniszewski, Antoni, d. 1826.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  551.27 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Description:
 Filesize:  551.27 KB

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:31 pm      Post subject: Re: Daniszewski record

EANWhitson wrote:
Hi Dave!

Here is what I know about this record. Death record of Antoni Daniszewski, March 28, 1826 in Knyszyn. Parents are Joachim Daniszewski and Rozalia Urbanowicz.

Does this say that Joachim's father's name is Hyacinth and Rozalia's father's name is Kazmierz?

Anything else I am missing? Thanks!

Hi

You have the correct parents and the maternal and paternal grandfathers. The Polish for Hyacinth is Jacenty. The child, Antoni, died on March 28, 1826 and was buried on March 30, 1826. He was 10 months old and was survived by his parents. One thing about the record which is a bit strange is that the adjective famatus modifies Antoni (famatum Antonium). Famatus/renowned (Polish: sławetny) was used to describe a middle class craftsman. Unless Antoni was a child genius the adjective should read famati and should modify the given name of his father. It just makes more sense that way.

Like Forrest Gump would say: “And that’s all I have to say about that.”

Hope you are having a good new year.

Dave
EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 370

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:56 am      Post subject:

Thank you, Dave! I've looked through the other deaths of the children, but as usual in early 1800s deaths in this area, very little is written other than the name, age and date, so I was very happy to see this and get names of grandparents too! Thank you!
a4u2fear

Replies: 230

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:20 am      Post subject: marriage translation

Looking to get the attached marriage translated, on Nov 10th below thanks

Martin Wysocki Antonia Piechocki marriage 1804 img43 film 8120967.jpg
 Description:
Nov 10 marriage Martin Wysocki and Antonina Piechocki
 Filesize:  1.64 MB

Martin Wysocki Antonia Piechocki marriage 1804 img43 film 8120967.jpg

a4u2fear

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:23 am      Post subject: marriage translation2

looking to get the bottom right marriage translated martin zuhlke catherine graczyk

Martin Zuhlke Marriage Cath Graczyk 1843 film 8120936 img 580.jpg
 Description:
bottom right martin zuhlke catherine graczyk
 Filesize:  1.02 MB

Martin Zuhlke Marriage Cath Graczyk 1843 film 8120936 img 580.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:03 pm      Post subject: Re: marriage translation2

a4u2fear wrote:
looking to get the bottom right marriage translated martin zuhlke catherine graczyk

Hi,

Here are the translations of the two marriage records you requested. If you request translations in the future please provide the location of the parish and any pertinent information you may know. This will make it quicker to translate the record without having to search for the geography involved. Unlike Polish or Russian civil transcripts Latin records usually do not name the parish within the entry.

Each record is one long sentence with subordinate clauses, which is very good Latin style. In English the entry would likely be considered a run-on sentence. I kept the translation as close to the Latin text as possible, although the English result may be a bit involved and certainly not favored by contemporary writers.

Dave

Zulke & Graczyk
Right margin: Popielary; the groom 27 years of age, the bride 19 years of age
Body of Entry: After the three banns had been promulgated and since no impediment had been detected, on the 12th day of November 1843 the same as above blessed the marriage between the upright* single young man Marcin Zülke, 27 years of age, the son of the legitimate Catholic marriage of Maciej Zülke and Maryanna Pankowska from Dębno of the parish of Mogilno, and the upright* maiden Katarzyna Graczyk, 19 years of age, the daughter of the legitimate Catholic marriage of Jan Graczyk and Maryanna Siekierska from Popielary in the presence of the witnesses Jan Pankowski and Roch ?aszkiewicz.

Note: *honestus/upright: an adjective used to describe a farmer from a small town or a village.

Wysocki & Piechocka
Right margin: Grzybowo illegible word on the 10th day of November 1804
Body of Entry: After the three proclamations of the banns had been promulgated in the parish church during the solemnities of (the Sunday) Masses and since no canonical impediment had been found, I, as above, joined together in marriage and also solemnly blessed the renowned* Marcin Wysocki, a single young man, a fisherman, 20 years of age, and the renowned Antonina Piechocka, a maiden, 17 years of age, in the Church under the title of Saint Michael after I had questioned them and had received their mutual consent in the presence of trustworthy men, the renowned Antoni Kuszczynski, Jan Piasecki, Sebastian Matikiewicz, and many other men gathered together (for the wedding).
Next Column: Number in sequence: 9
Final Column: Witness of the spouses: The groom: a single young man, 20 years of age. The bride: a maiden, 17 years of age.

Note: famatus/renowned: an adjective usually used to describe a middle class craftsman. Evidently fishermen were included in this group. The record does not specify the occupation of the bride nor why she merits the designation.
a4u2fear

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:40 am      Post subject:

Thank you very much dave, and I understand i'll post the parishes and other pertinent info in the future.

Andrew
adame24

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:28 pm      Post subject: Assistance Translating Latin Birth Records

I am requesting assistance translating two lines from two documents. The first document is attached and is line 7. The name should be Jozef Iwanski.

Thank you very much for your help!

Jozef_Iwanski_Birth_Record_1866.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Jozef_Iwanski_Birth_Record_1866.pdf
 Filesize:  1.5 MB
 Downloaded:  301 Time(s)

adame24

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:33 pm      Post subject: Second Document Attached

Second document attached here. It should be line 15 and name is Marianna Posluszna.

Thank you!

Marianna_Posluszna_Birth_Record_1868.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Marianna_Posluszna_Birth_Record_1868.pdf
 Filesize:  758.18 KB
 Downloaded:  202 Time(s)

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:19 pm      Post subject: Re: Assistance Translating Latin Birth Records

adame24 wrote:
I am requesting assistance translating two lines from two documents. The first document is attached and is line 7. The name should be Jozef Iwanski.

Thank you very much for your help!

Hi,

Here is the B & B of Maryanna Posłuszna.

Col. 1: Numerus = Number: 15
Col 2: Nativitatis = Of Birth
Col.2a: Annus et mensis = Year and month: 1867 May
Col. 2b: Dies = Day: 30
Col. 2c: Hora = Hour: Noon
Col. 3: Pueri = Boys
Col. 3a: Legitimi = Legitimate: blank
Col. 3b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: blank
Col. 4: Puellae = Girls
Col. 4a: Legitimae = Legitimate: 6th birth for the year
Col. 4b: Illegitimae = Illegitimate: blank
Col. 5: Locus Nativitatis = Place of Birth: village name is illegible to me
Col. 6: Infantis = Of the Child
Col. 6a: Baptismi = Of the Baptism
Col. 6a1: Annus et Mensis = The Year and Month: May
Col. 6a2: Dies = Day: 30
Col. 6b: Nomen Infantis= Name of the Child: Maryanna
Col. 7: Sacerdos baptisans = The Priest baptizing: Ditto
Col. 8: Nomen et Cognomen = The Given and the Surname
Col. 8a: Patris = Of the Father: Jakub Posłuszny
Col. 8b: Matris = Of the Mother: Józefa Łapczyńska
Col. 9: Religio = The Religion
Col. 9a: Patris = Of the Father: Catholic
Col. 9b: Matris = Of the Mother: Catholic
Col. 10: Conditio et professio Patris = The condition/status and profession/occupation of the Father: agricola = farmer
Col. 11a: Patrini the Sponsors: Andrzej Posłuszny; Maryanna Hunt
Col. 11b: Conditio et professio = (Their) condition/status and profession/occupation: farmer; wife of a farmer
Col. 12: Adnotatio = Notation: Blank

Here is the B & B of Józef Iwański

Col. 1: Numerus = Number: 7
Col 2: Nativitatis = Of Birth
Col.2a: Annus et mensis = Year and month: 1866, January
Col. 2b: Dies = Day: 20
Col. 2c: Hora = Hour: 9 v(espere) = 9 in the evening
Col. 3: Pueri = Boys
Col. 3a: Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 3b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank
Col. 4: Puellae = Girls
Col. 4a: Legitimae = Legitimate: Blank
Col. 4b: Illegitimae = Illegitimate: Blank
Col. 5: Locus Nativitatis = Place of Birth: Rudki
Col. 6: Infantis = Of the Child
Col. 6a: Baptismi = Of the Baptism
Col. 6a1: Annus et Mensis = The Year and Month: 1866, January
Col. 6a2: Dies = Day: 21
Col. 6b: Nomen = Name: Józef
Col. 7: Nomen et Cognomen Sacerdotis baptismum administrantis = The Given and the Surname of the Priest administering the baptism: Ditto
Col. 8: Nomen et Cognomen = The Given and the Surname
Col. 8a: Patris = Of the Father: Szymon Iwański
Col. 8b: Matris = Of the Mother: Michalina Nowak
Col. 9: Religio = The Religion
Col. 9a: Patris = Of the Father: Catholic
Col. 9b: Matris = Of the Mother: Catholic
Col. 10: Conditio et professio Patris = The condition/status and profession/occupation of the Father: Inquilinus = Tenant
Col. 11: Patrinorum = Of the Sponsors
Col. 11a: Nomen et Cognomen = The Given and the Surname: Tomasz Kuzański; Józefa Nowak
Col. 11b: Conditio et professio = (Their) condition/status and profession/occupation: Blank
Col. 12: Adnotationes utrum gemelli? Seu quid aliud notatu necessarium = Notations: whether twins? Or something else which need be noted: Blank

In the future please include the name of the parish (which is almost never found in the record). This makes it easier to determine the geographical locations in the record. (It may have made it possible for me to determine Maryanna's place of birth.) Also, please include any other pertinent information of which you are aware.

Thanks,

Dave
David2019

Replies: 35

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:22 pm      Post subject: Radziejow Parish Death Record

Could you assist me with translating the finer details. I believe it is the death record of my GG grandmother Salomea (Wolska) Dabrowska. Thanks, Dave

Radziejow Death 1825 Salomea (Wolska) Dabrowska - Franciszka's mother.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.09 MB

Radziejow Death 1825 Salomea (Wolska) Dabrowska - Franciszka's mother.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:25 pm      Post subject: Re: Radziejow Parish Death Record

David2019 wrote:
Could you assist me with translating the finer details. I believe it is the death record of my GG grandmother Salomea (Wolska) Dabrowska. Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,

There are a couple of words where the ink is faded and the name/words are illegib;e. Fortunately they are not words of major importance. It is a bit curious that her married name appears first as Dębrowska and then as Dąbrowska. Everything else is straightforward.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

Here is the translation.

Kwilno of the parish of Byczyna: 1826. On the 5th day of January at the hour of 1 in the afternoon the well-born Pani* Solomea née Wolska Dębrowska, 36 years of age, who died in Kwilno on the 28th day of December, 1825 at the hour of 7 in the evening, the consort/wife of the well-born Pan* Ignacy Dąbrowski, the heir of the village of Kwilno, about 44 years of age, was buried in the new cemetery in a grave walled with brick/stone towards/facing the cross in the presence of her husband Ignacy Dąbrowski and (crossed out words and illegible name.

Note: * generosa Domina & generosus Dominus/well-born Pani & well-born Pan: The adjective denotes a member of the szlachta who was the owner of at least one village. Pani & Pan are the Polish forms of Domina and of Dominus. The Polish form of Generosus/well-born is urodzony.
David2019

Replies: 35

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:30 am      Post subject: Re: Radziejow Parish Death Record

Perfect, thank you.

A couple of quick questions - just to confirm your understanding. As far as you can tell, the husband, Ignacy is still alive, right? Also, it seems a little strange to me that this record is in the Radziejow parish book (but indicates that it took place in Byczyna parish) - I assume she was buried in the Byczyna parish cemetery (not Radziejow or Kwilno)? Is that how you would interpret it?

Thanks again, this was very helpful.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:03 pm      Post subject: Re: Radziejow Parish Death Record

David2019 wrote:
Perfect, thank you.

A couple of quick questions - just to confirm your understanding. As far as you can tell, the husband, Ignacy is still alive, right? Also, it seems a little strange to me that this record is in the Radziejow parish book (but indicates that it took place in Byczyna parish) - I assume she was buried in the Byczyna parish cemetery (not Radziejow or Kwilno)? Is that how you would interpret it?

Thanks again, this was very helpful.

Hi Dave,

Her husband Ignacy was definitely alive. He was about 44 years old and was present at her burial. Kwilno, which he owned, was a village and a manorial farmstead and in 1827 had 6 houses with 54 inhabitants. I don’t know whether or not there was a cemetery there, but my instinct is to say that there was not for several reasons. Catholic burials took place in blessed/consecrated ground/cemeteries. While an individual grave plot could be blessed, that would have not been the norm. In the szlachta burial records I’ve translated the burials often take place in the church structure itself or in a prominent location in the parish cemetery. It would seem to be very unusual for there to be a small cemetery in a village or manorial farmstead. That the burial took place in the “new” parish cemetery of Byczyna is something which would require research in the history of the local parish and its cemeteries—probably not something easily done on the internet. She was definitely buried in the cemetery of Byczyna.

Here is a link to the Słownik geograficzny which was the source I consulted for info about Kwilno:
http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_V/34
Here is a link to the entry for Byczyna: http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_I/490

The record you posted is from the ecclesiastical death & burial register of the parish of Byczyna. Since it is a strictly ecclesiastical record as opposed to a civil transcript the language is Latin rather than Polish. The record is from the diocesan archive in Włocławek rather than from the Polish National Archive in Toruń’s Włocławek branch, where the civil transcripts are housed. The reason the Family Search film lists a number of parishes with Radziejów in parentheses is most likely that the records were stored and filmed according to the deanery (dekenat) to which the parish belonged. Byczyna is one of the parishes in the deanery (dekenat) of Radziejów. I find it interesting that when I searched for the civil transcript I was unable to find it among the civil transcripts for the parish of Byczyna. It seems that the civil record slipped through the cracks. Here is a link to the civil transcripts from the Włocławek branch of the Polish National Archives: https://genealogiawarchiwach.pl/

Not only was Ignacy alive at the time Salomea was buried but he remarried in 1830 in the parish of Byczyna. Here is a link to the civil transcript of that marriage: https://genealogiawarchiwach.pl/#query.type=ALL&query.facetQuery.date=1830&query.city=Byczyna&query.suggestion=false&query.thumbnails=false&query.facet=true&query.asc=false&query.sortMode=PUBLICATION&modal=256546738&personTree=false&goComments=false&searcher=big&query.query
The wedding took place on November 21, 1830 and Ignacy was 52 years old and his new bride, Marcjanna Suliborska, was 19 years of age. He had married Salomea Wolska in Radziejów in 1810. They had several children who were born in Radziejów. Here is a link to the Geneteka index for him and his family members: http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=02kp&rid=B&search_lastname=dabrowski&search_name=ignacy&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=
It would seem to me that you should be able to locate the ecclesiastical copy of his second marriage on the Family Search films for the parish of Byczyna.

These were some long answers to quick questions but I hope they help.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 165 of 274

Jump to: