PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:30 pm      Post subject: Surname suffix "ka"

My grand uncle, John Sowa died in 1963 in Michigan. He died without a will and his wife had died a year earlier. His estate was probated and his heirs were identified in the court poceedings. One of his heirs was identified as his sister "Agatha Sowa" in Poland and also as "Agata Tucka", (her married name) in various documents, including the legal certification from the Polish consul. Her residence at the time was in "Pozta Manasterz, Powat Pszewrsk", which tells me little about her. Later, I discovered an couple photos from my uncle, that proved she died in Łopuszka Wielka, Przeworsk, Podkarpackie, on 7 April 1969.

I have tried (in vain) to locate any more records for her, with the name Agata Sowa or Agata Tucka.

Could her married surname (Tucka) be actually "Tuc", with the suffix "ka" added because she was marrired?

Thanks in advance,
Richard Sowa
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:23 am      Post subject:

Richard,

The masculine version of the surname Tucka is definitely Tucki. Here you can see the distribution map: https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Tucki.

The records might not be available online, as they are from 20th century (so probably they are still in the civil registry).

The civil registry for Manasterz is in Wiązownica (I have not found the direct contact to the registry, but below is the conta t to the municipal office:
URZĄD GMINY WIĄZOWNICA
tel. (16) 622 36 31, 622 36 22, 622 36 76
ul. Warszawska 15, 37-522 Wiązownica
Adres e-mail: [email protected]

The civil registry for Łopusza Wielka is in Kańczuga:
Urząd Miasta i Gminy w Kańczudze
Tel. 16 6423142, 16 6423710, 16 6423115, 16 6423146,
e-mail: [email protected]
Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: