PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:35 pm      Post subject: Finding records - Mankiewicze/Horodno

Hello,
I am having a lot of trouble locating anything about my maternal grandparents, who immigrated to Canada in 1928. From the ship's passenger list, the towns listed for their birthplace are Mankiewicze Stolin and Horodno. They were born in 1904 and 1908 or 1910 (cannot confirm). If anyone could shed some light on where I can look for records, it would be much appreciated. Thank you. Jaime
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:02 pm      Post subject: Re: Finding records - Mankiewicze/Horodno

jaimeldiaz12 wrote:
Hello,
I am having a lot of trouble locating anything about my maternal grandparents, who immigrated to Canada in 1928. From the ship's passenger list, the towns listed for their birthplace are Mankiewicze Stolin and Horodno. They were born in 1904 and 1908 or 1910 (cannot confirm). If anyone could shed some light on where I can look for records, it would be much appreciated. Thank you. Jaime

Hi Jaime,

Both those places were in województwo (province) poleskie, powiat (county) Stolin during the period between WWI & WWII (cf. attached map). They are currently in Belarus. Stolin is Столін in Cyrillic. The records you would need are most likely housed in an archive in Belarus. Researching there is not something with which I am familiar so I can’t give you any practical advice.

Sorry that I can’t be of more help but I hope that this info at least gives you a start.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Poland 1930 Administrative Districts.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.58 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Poland 1930 Administrative Districts.png

jaimeldiaz12

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:01 pm      Post subject:

Hello Dave,
Thank you so much for this information! It is an excellent start to my search, I appreciate your help and for sending this map. Take care.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: