PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:07 pm      Post subject: Great Grandparents (Własinowicz?) in Sokolno

Greetings!

I was hoping for assistance locating the correct surname and any possible records related to my Great Grandparents and family members from what appears to be the town of Sokolne. The family emigrated to West Hazleton, Pennsylvania, US to work in the coal mines.

There are many variations of my G.Grandfathers last name listed on different documents. I am not sure which
is the correct one?

Własinowicz
Wlasinovic
Wlasinovicz
Walisinovich
Walisnovich
Wlasinowic

Here are the family member, all originating from Sokolne:
Great Grandfather - Joseph Walisinovich (1883-1914)
Great Grandmother - Apolonia (Iwanowski) Własinowicz (1881-1954)
Son - Born in Poland Antoni Walasonowicz 1908-1973
Brother - Wladislaw Iwanowski (1880-?)
Brother - Bronislaw Iwanowski (1888-1937)

My assumption is that Sokolno is in fact Sokolna (now Sokolne)
http://kartenmeister.com/preview/City.asp?CitNum=17885

I have had no success locating birth/marriage records using geneteka.genealodzy.pl

See attached for additional details.

Thanks in advance for any assistance! Smile

Immigration.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Immigration.pdf
 Filesize:  161.97 KB
 Downloaded:  131 Time(s)

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1971

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:28 pm      Post subject: Re: Great Grandparents (Własinowicz?) in Sokolno

Victor wrote:
Greetings!

I was hoping for assistance locating the correct surname and any possible records related to my Great Grandparents and family members from what appears to be the town of Sokolne. The family emigrated to West Hazleton, Pennsylvania, US to work in the coal mines.

There are many variations of my G.Grandfathers last name listed on different documents. I am not sure which
is the correct one?

Własinowicz
Wlasinovic
Wlasinovicz
Walisinovich
Walisnovich
Wlasinowic

Here are the family member, all originating from Sokolne:
Great Grandfather - Joseph Walisinovich (1883-1914)
Great Grandmother - Apolonia (Iwanowski) Własinowicz (1881-1954)
Son - Born in Poland Antoni Walasonowicz 1908-1973
Brother - Wladislaw Iwanowski (1880-?)
Brother - Bronislaw Iwanowski (1888-1937)

My assumption is that Sokolno is in fact Sokolna (now Sokolne)
http://kartenmeister.com/preview/City.asp?CitNum=17885

I have had no success locating birth/marriage records using geneteka.genealodzy.pl

See attached for additional details.

Thanks in advance for any assistance! Smile

Hi Victor,

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, it is not possible to determine the exact original spelling of your great-grandfather’s surname from the information provided. However, it is possible to eliminate those versions which contain the letter v since that letter is not found in the Polish alphabet. Probably the closest version would be Walasonowicz, which appears on the manifest for Apolonia & Antoni. The problem there is that the 1940 Census states that Apolonia had no formal education and thus was probably illiterate in 1908 and Antoni was only 11 months old—no help from him on the original spelling.

A problem with the birth & residence village in Europe also originates with the 1908 manifest, which lists Apolonia & Antoni as being Lithuanian and states that Sokolno was in the Province of Wilno/Vilnius. Perhaps a bit of history would be helpful at this point. For centuries prior to 1795 the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy were united as the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth aka the Commonwealth of the Two Nations (Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Narodów). Until 1795 the Province of Wilno (Województwo Wilieńskie) was part of the Commonwealth. After the Third Partition of Poland in 1795 the Commonwealth ceased to exist and much of its former territory was seized by Russia. Wilno was directly incorporated into the Russian Empire whereas the Crown Lands of the Commonwealth eventually became the Russian ruled Kingdom of Poland. That was how things remained until after WWI when Wilno became part of the interwar Republic of Poland. After WWII it became part of Lithuania. The theory that Sokolno became Sokalne doesn’t work since Sokalne was a village in Powiat Augustowski during the 19th Century (Cf. attached map). Bottom line is that none of the various spellings correspond to the name of a village in the interwar Republic of Poland and trying to figure it out is probably like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.

However, I would suggest two strategies to try to sort out the mess. The first would be to contact the parish which formerly was Transfiguration and now is known as Holy Name of Jesus Parish in West Hazleton. Request copies of Apolonia’s 2nd marriage record as well as those of her brothers and other relatives. Those records should not only contain the names of the parents of the bride and the groom but also the name of the place where they were baptized. Since the parish priests spoke Polish the chances of getting a more accurate spelling are good. Her 2nd marriage record should also help clarify the spelling of her surname from the first marriage. Here is a link to contact the parish: https://www.dioceseofscranton.org/find-a-parish/holy-name-of-jesus-parish-west-hazleton/

Another possible strategy is to obtain the naturalization papers for Antoni. The numbers on the arrival manifest (3-210242 and the date 2-21-41) give the info needed to obtain the file. I’m just not sure which archive or agency you should contact for PA naturalization records.

For what it is worth here is a link to a map of Gubierna Wilelńska (The Province of Wilno/Vilnius): Unfortunately it is not sufficiently detailed to help identify the village of origin.
https://www.wdl.org/en/item/14091/view/1/1/

Wishing you successful hunting,

Dave

80.Augustowski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.59 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

80.Augustowski.jpg

Victor

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:25 am      Post subject:

Hi Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed response! It has been a very frustrating experience trying to locate the elusive “Sokolno”. The historical references you provided are very helpful.

I have been receiving assistance from someone on the Ancestry.com forums. She has been fantastic and has excellent skills researching geography in Old Russia. She suggested the same path forward that you recommended (naturalization papers for Antoni and church marriage records). I will be sure to post back my findings one I receive the additional documents, which hopefully contain new clues.

Thanks again!
Victor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: