PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:49 pm      Post subject: What language is this birth rec. written in ?

Attached is the Birth Record of Helen Kachel born in 1901 in Goworowo, Poland. I am trying to figure out what language this is written in. I'm almost positive it's not Polish and it doesn't look like Latin.

Does anyone recognize the language?

Thanks,
Paul

KachelHelen1901_cropped.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  966.66 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

KachelHelen1901_cropped.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:15 pm      Post subject: Re: What language is this birth rec. written in ?

psurbanski wrote:
Attached is the Birth Record of Helen Kachel born in 1901 in Goworowo, Poland. I am trying to figure out what language this is written in. I'm almost positive it's not Polish and it doesn't look like Latin.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul,

It is in Russian, which uses the Cyrillic alphabet.

Dave
psurbanski

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:14 am      Post subject:

Thank you !!
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:23 pm      Post subject: Re: What language is this birth rec. written in ?

psurbanski wrote:

Thanks,
Paul

Kruszewo

It happened in Kruszewo on the 7th/20th day of January 1901, at 2 p.m.
Appeared in person: Adam Kachel, 25 years old, worker living in the village Kruszewo, in the presence of Jan Brodowski, 40 years old and Wincenty Szumiński, 43 years old, farmers living in the village Kruszewo and presented Us a female child, born in the village Kruszewo on the 2nd/15th day of January of the current year, at 10 a.m. with his legal wife Kazimiera nee Ziemicka, 20 years old.
At The Holy Baptism, held today by the priest Ignacy Staniaszko, the child was given the name Helena and the godparents were: Jan Brodowski and Anna Szumińska.
This act was read to the declarant and witnesses, all illiterate and signed by Us.

Goworowo parish parson, serving as Civil Registrar.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
nicholascam

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:25 am      Post subject:

I'm 100% sure that it's russian. During the pandemic, my sister managed to pick up a bit russian from her online course. Btw, it's incredibly heart-warming how people choose to see the positive side of this whole quarantine situation. Have you seen the number of people who started learning a new foreign language this year? If you haven't then you're about to be shocked! https://thegate.boardingarea.com/which-language-did-people-want-to-learn-most-in-each-country-during-the-2019-novel-coronavirus-pandemic/
abelcermak

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:42 pm      Post subject:

I’m quite surprised it’s in Russian, but it is. It’s written in the Old Russian Alphabet used before the October revolution of 1917. Perhaps, this part of Poland belonged to the Russian Empire at the time, and they had to write all the official documents in Russian.
Thank you, marcelproust, for providing the translation. Even though I do speak Russian, it was hard for me to understand what was actually written there because of the handwriting. I’ve never learned this kind of Russian handwriting and used to write in letters, similar to the English ones. The language resources available to me at the time I was learning did not provide a guide over this kind of handwriting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: