PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:10 pm      Post subject: Translate please - Joannes Jasica

Hi
Can anyone help me translate this. I’ve marked the persons in red.
Thank you

0746A2F6-04E4-4BE2-82C3-759541C3FD3F.jpeg
 Description:
Joannes Jasica. Can?t tell type of record it is. Or parents or spouse name.
 Filesize:  1.48 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

0746A2F6-04E4-4BE2-82C3-759541C3FD3F.jpeg

Almacwik

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:12 pm      Post subject: Translate - record for Andreas Jasica

Can someone help translate this record for Andreas Jasica.
Thank you

C567DDB6-3ADD-4781-A636-7E4993489004.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.01 MB

C567DDB6-3ADD-4781-A636-7E4993489004.jpeg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:41 pm      Post subject: Re: Translate - record for Andreas Jasica

Almacwik wrote:
Can someone help translate this record for Andreas Jasica.
Thank you

Hi Alma,

I am unable to read the letters in col. 8 which specifies the cause of death. I presume you would like that information. If you could provide a link to the record perhaps I would be able to determine the letters. I am not sure of the spelling of his widow’s maiden name. When one is no longer 20 eyesight is not as good as it once was. Also the text in the headings may not match your copy exactly. There were several versions of column headings over the years. The one I chose seems to match the entries.

Here is the translation. I hope you find it helpful.

Dave

Col. 1: N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order: 4
Col. 2: Top: Year: (Missing in image but based on data in the final column is 1900)
Col. 2a: Dies et Mensis obitus = Day and Month of death: April 28
Col. 2b: Dies et Mensis sepulturae = Day and Month of burial: April 30
Col. 3: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: 30
Col. 4: Nomen, cognomen et conditio mortui—penes infantes aut caelibes etiam nomen, cognomen et conditio parentum = The first and the surname and the condition/ status/occupation of the deceased—with infants and bachelors (and bachelorettes) also the first and surname and status/condition/occupation of the parents: Andrzej Jasica, the husband of the surviving Elżbieta née Cimła(?)
Notation in cols. 1-4: The one (i.e. the priest) as above buried him.
Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 6: Sexus = Sex/Gender
Col. 6a: Masculini = Male: Checked
Col. 6b: Foeminini = Female: Blank
Col. 7: Dies Vitae = Days of Life (i.e. age)
Col. 7a: Annorum = Years: 73
Col. 7b: Menses vel Dies = Months or Days: 19(?)
Col. 8: Morbus et qualitas mortis = Disease/Illness and type of death: illegible
Col. 9: Adnotationes = Notations: Strengthened by the Most Holy Sacraments. The next part of the entry give the medical revue (certificate) number which begins with a name. Here is how I see that portion of the entry: Lak??? April 29, 1900 Number 11(?)
Almacwik

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:27 pm      Post subject:

Hi. Thank you. Here is the link. It’s just a bad copy. Thanks.
https://www.ancestry.com/mediaui-viewer/tree/111556919/person/392083090638/media/a6e4b1cd-9ac4-4d53-95c6-db4fee36b3c5?usePUBJs=true

BaldygoR

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:08 pm      Post subject:

Attached is the death record of my great grandfather PIOTR BALDYGA. I am hoping that there may be useful information in this entry beyond his name, the date, and location that could assist me in furthering my search for his history.
Thank you,
Bob Baldygo

Piotr Baldyga Death Record 09 26 1901.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Piotr Baldyga Death Record 09 26 1901.pdf
 Filesize:  126.53 KB
 Downloaded:  222 Time(s)

BaldygoR

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:26 pm      Post subject:

Attached is the death record of my great grandmother EWA LIS BALDYGA, , daughter of FRANCISZKA and MARYANNA (maiden name unavailable) LIS. I am hoping that information in the entry beyond the names, date and locations will aid in furthering my search for her or her parents' histories.
Thank you,
Bob Baldygo

Ewa Lis Baldyga Death Record 07 22 1900.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Ewa Lis Baldyga Death Record 07 22 1900.pdf
 Filesize:  131.47 KB
 Downloaded:  233 Time(s)

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:45 pm      Post subject:

BaldygoR wrote:
Attached is the death record of my great grandmother EWA LIS BALDYGA, , daughter of FRANCISZKA and MARYANNA (maiden name unavailable) LIS. I am hoping that information in the entry beyond the names, date and locations will aid in furthering my search for her or her parents' histories.
Thank you,
Bob Baldygo

Hi Bob,

The records you posted are in Russian (Cyrillic Alphabet) not in Latin, which, like English, uses the Roman Alphabet. Two rules of thumb—1. When you see letters in the image which don’t resemble the letters we use and the record comes from the Russian Partition it most likely is in Russian. 2. In the Russian Partition civil records were kept in Polish from 1808 until 1868 and then in Russian from 1868 until the end of WWI, when they reverted to Polish. In that same partition when you come across a record in Latin it is an Ecclesiastical record rather than a civil transcript.

If you post your request in Russian records translations p. 2 you should get a timely response. Here is the link to the proper thread https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=48182&sid=c6d710a430b84625a70b4be86ac77194#48182

Good luck with your research.

Dave
DMStutzman

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:51 pm      Post subject: Help with Greek Catholic translation-Tarasievich

Hi, Attached is a copy from Greek Catholic records listing various marriages; the records appear to be in Latin. I am interested in the translation of the first record which shows the various names in the Tarasievich family. Thank you for your assitance.

Daniel

Tarasievich_Michael_GC record.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Tarasievich_Michael_GC record.pdf
 Filesize:  2.35 MB
 Downloaded:  235 Time(s)

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:43 pm      Post subject: Re: Help with Greek Catholic translation-Tarasievich

DMStutzman wrote:
Hi, Attached is a copy from Greek Catholic records listing various marriages; the records appear to be in Latin. I am interested in the translation of the first record which shows the various names in the Tarasievich family. Thank you for your assitance.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

The marriage record is in Latin. Obviously Latin was not the liturgical language or the language normally used for documents in the Eastern Rite/Greek Rite Catholic Church. The document you posted is a civil transcript of the parish marriage register and the Austrian government mandated that those records were to be kept in Latin.

The surnames are spelled according to the Polish usage/form. Given names are in Latin and I translated them first into their Polish version and then into their English version. Should you have additional documents which you would like translated you will receive a quicker response if you post them in the Latin Records Translations thread of the forum.

I can’t get a handle on the geographical locations found in the record since they seem to be in contemporary Ukraine rather than in contemporary Poland. It makes translations much easier if you post whatever you know about the geography—at a minimum the name of the village where the parish was located.

Here follows the translation.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

The marriage record is entered in the columnar format with major divisions and subdivisions of the columns.

Col. 1: Series =Number (of the marriage for the year): Missing
Col. 2: Year at top: 1882 Mensis = Month (of Marriage): May 14, 1882
Col. 3: SPONSUS = GROOM
Col. 3a: Numerus Domus = Number of the House: (sponsi 24; sponsae 22) of the groom: 24; of the bride: 22
Col. 3b: NOMEN = NAME: Bartłomiej/Bartholomew Tarasiewicz, the illegitimate son of Maria Tarasiewicz, the daughter of Mikołaj/Nicholas and Teodozja/Theodosia née Gałysz, farmers
Col. 3c: Religio = Religion
Col. 3c1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 3d: Aetas = Age: 21 & 4/12 or 9/12 years of age
Col. 3e: Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 3f: Viduus = Widower: Blank
Col. 4: SPONSA = BRIDE
Col. 4a: NOMEN = NAME: Maria, the widow of the late Piotr/Peter Choroszcz???, a farmer from Roztoka, the daughter of Szymeon/Simeon Tarasiewicz and of Rozalia/Rosalia née Cieślak, farmers from Roztoka
Col. 4b: Religio = Religion
Col. 4b1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 4c: Aetas = Age: 26 years
Col. 4d: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Blank
Col. 4e: Vidua = Widow: Checked

Col. 5: TESTES = WITNESSES and their status/ condition of life/occupation:
Col. 5a: Nomen=Name: Timoteusz/Timothy Poły?ka (&) Michał/Michael Tarasiewicz
Col. 5b: Conditio = their status/ condition of life/occupation: peasant farmers from Roztoka

Final entry: The underage* groom received consent from the minors & orphans court given at Krynica on the 12th day of May, 1882 Number 1832.

Note *He would not be considered a minor in our system.

Last edited by dnowicki on Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
DMStutzman

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:06 am      Post subject: Help with Greek Catholic translation-Tarasievich

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the transcription and the tips on posting and background information. The area referenced is in Nowy Sacz and the village is Roztoka Wielka.

Daniel

may28991

Replies: 68

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:55 am      Post subject: Latin to English Translation

Could somebody please help me translate this document? "DSC_6021 Basil Marcel Householder and Basil's wife, Marcella, left Helenna" I am looking for the translation of the second house number 190 in this docment (not the first 190, Basil Marcel).
Thank you in advance,
Larry Mandeville
[email protected]

DSC_6021 Basil Marcel Householder and Basil's wife, Marcella, left Helenna.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.12 MB

DSC_6021 Basil Marcel Householder and Basil's wife, Marcella, left Helenna.JPG

may28991

Replies: 68

Post Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:54 am      Post subject: Please Translate

Could somebody please help me translate this document? "DSC_6021 Basil Marcel Householder and Basil's wife, Marcella, left Helenna" I am looking for the translation of the second house number 190 in this docment (not the first 190, Basil Marcel).
Thank you in advance,
Larry Mandeville
[email protected]

DSC_6021 Basil Marcel Householder and Basil's wife, Marcella, left Helenna - Copy.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.12 MB

DSC_6021 Basil Marcel Householder and Basil's wife, Marcella, left Helenna - Copy.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:34 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin to English Translation

may28991 wrote:
Thank you in advance,
Larry Mandeville
[email protected]

Hi,

The name of Bazyli (Polish) Basil (English) Marcella’s wife was Helena/Helen and not Marcella. Marcella, not Marcel, is the surname. Also, Bazyli/Basil’s status was the head of his family. i.e. the family patriarch and not a householder. Paterfamilias never means “householder”.

Also, you should delete your second request for a translation of this record lest someone spend the time translating a record which has already been translated.

The headings for the columns in the translation may or may not be an exact match with the headings as they appear in the actual record. The wording of the column headings was modified several times during the 19th Century and without seeing the top of the page it is not possible to be certain of the exact wording.

Dave

Here is the translation.

Col. 1: Annus Mensis Dies =Year, Month, Day: Year should appear at the top of the page.

Col. 1A: Mortis = Of Death: July 16

Col. 1B: Sepulturae = Of Burial: July 18

Notation in Cols. 1A & 1B: The assistant pastor buried (her).

Col. 2: Numerus Domus = House Number: 190

Col. 3: Nomen Mortui = Name of the Deceased: Helena, the surviving wife (i.e. widow) of Bazyli Marcella

Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4A: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4B: Aut alia = or another: Blank

Col. 5: Sexus = Sex/Gender
Col. 5A: Masculinus = Masculine/Male: Blank
Col. 5B: Femina = Female: Checked

Col. 6: Dies Vitae = Age (Lit. Days of Life): 80

Col. 7: MORBUS et qualitas mortis = DISEASE and type of death: diaria*

Note: *diaria—This entry makes no sense. The word diaria is derived from the noun dies, diei, m. day and appears in the writings of Cicero and of Horace where it means a daily allowance of food or pay. Clearly it cannot have that meaning here. The Latin adjective for daily is cottidianus, a, um, again, a non-starter in the context of the record. My best guess is that diaria is a scribal error and the entry should probably be ordinaria meaning ordinary indicating that an individual died of natural causes.
a4u2fear

Replies: 230

Post Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:22 pm      Post subject: marriage consensus

hey dave,

in the attached marriage, #20, there is the column for parental consensus. it says "za konsensem". Would this mean both sponsors parents consented? I've never seen this spelling before. Thanks.

Debnica 1859

jacob koteras agnes kucharska marriage 1859 8001513 img140(2).PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  924.39 KB

jacob koteras agnes kucharska marriage 1859 8001513 img140(2).PNG

a4u2fear

Replies: 230

Post Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:26 pm      Post subject: another parental consensus

dave,

another, i can't even read the parental consensus column. marriage #7 at bottom

i attached two files, one more legible and other is zoomed out but blurry

michael koteras birth to jacob and magdalena zaleski film 8025738 img 457.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  421.14 KB

michael koteras birth to jacob and magdalena zaleski film 8025738 img 457.PNG

michael koteras birth to jacob and magdalena zaleski film 8025738 img 457(2).PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  768.43 KB

michael koteras birth to jacob and magdalena zaleski film 8025738 img 457(2).PNG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 168 of 274

Jump to: